Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Smell

Stop! If squeezing the fuel bulb makes the engine speed up, YOU HAVE A FUEL DELIVERY PROBLEM! Just like we've been telling you all along. Your carbs are dirty, you have a leak in the fuel line, your fuel pump is bad, could be a lot of things.

Please don't keep running this motor is a leaned-out condition. You will damage it. Fix it first.

Like BingJr said, the more you run it like this, the more damage you will do. I'm done helping. You're obviously not listening.

Good luck.

is the vent open on the gass tank if soo close it you may want to clean out and off the gas tank before stowing it in your garage GAS FUMES DO EXPLODE!!!!
    http://www.wtwp.com/resource_center/...0at%20home.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    Stop! If squeezing the fuel bulb makes the engine speed up, YOU HAVE A FUEL DELIVERY PROBLEM! Just like we've been telling you all along. Your carbs are dirty, you have a leak in the fuel line, your fuel pump is bad, could be a lot of things.

Please don't keep running this motor is a leaned-out condition. You will damage it. Fix it first.

Like BingJr said, the more you run it like this, the more damage you will do. I'm done helping. You're obviously not listening.

Good luck.
    I have not run the motor at all since the first day I tried it at Piru.

When we ran the motor at the lot, it was running fine. I think that we might just need to pump it more.

I think we are going to have it checked out tomorrow. My grandpa is thinking it is fuel pump problem, like you said.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-20-2009 at 04:17 PM.

you live in santa clarita, take it to lakeside marine, and have them check the WHOLE boat out, this will cost between $100 and $200.. they will tell you what is wrong, then if you think you can do the work, go for it.... at least you will know what really needs to be done to fix the problem !!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneo View Post
    you live in santa clarita, take it to lakeside marine, and have them check the WHOLE boat out, this will cost between $100 and $200.. they will tell you what is wrong, then if you think you can do the work, go for it.... at least you will know what really needs to be done to fix the problem !!
    Thanks, do I really need the whole thing checked out? The outboard is the only thing giving me problems. Well, the fuel tanks smells too, but I think that is just because it is overfilled.

bro, Kev, Bing, and me are more mechanically inclined So this is my or Our. But, that motor has several problems that need to be checked. I assume, you didn't check spark or compression of the engine before you bought it? The motor will be a hassle as it is 38 years old because parts aint that easy to find and problems will stack up especially because of it's age bro.... I can tell by what you say that your motor will need : All 4 Carbs Rebuilt and Tuned(sync-ing all 4 is way too hard....for me,2 is hard enough! Need Mechanic!!!), New Fuel Pump, New fuel lines, New Spark Plugs, New Gear/lower unit oil, Timing/points adjusted, Water Pump System,not Just impeller, and you said in reverse is running hard, Clutch dog??? Ok I'll tally the total for you.... Full Service Tune-Up(Includes rebuild carbs,plugs,fluids,fuel pump, waterpump)= $600-700(real pricing).....Clutch Dog($400-500)..... Gas Tank/hose=$100..... And about 2 or 3 weeks to get it done.... Damn that's a lot to swallow for me,,,lol,,, Search on google: "ermonds boats"....call them and ask for PAT, He has a better boat with a 115 Mercury that runs perfect and was fully rebuilt last year! $1100 Needs interior,but that's only a few hundred bucks,,,about $200-300.... That'll be a better boat for you.... Good luck bro Saw boat a few days ago and jst remembered....

OK FB, I hope reality is setting in. You have Geordy telling you it will be about $1,300 to fix the motor and everything. You have me telling you it will be at least $1,200. Just between the two of us alone, I think we've owned 20-30 boats and motors, maybe more. So I think we're qualified to estimate the extent and expected costs of your problems. If you want to double-check, do what kaneo suggests and pay for a complete check-up. But that will just be another $100-200 down the drain if you don't end up keeping this boat.

Let me say this as plainly as I can.

If your motor speeds up when you squeeze the fuel bulb, that means YOU ARE NOT GETTING ENOUGH GAS.

Running the motor when it is not getting enough gas WILL MOST CERTAINLY DAMAGE IT.

Pumping the fuel bulb more as you suggested WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

That's good that you haven't run the boat since you went to Piru. Don't run it at all until after the mechanic has fixed it 100%.

Honestly, your best bet is to try to return this boat to the lot and get your money back. If the owner really is a friend of your grandpa's he should never have stuck you with this rig. Maybe he truly didn't know about all the motor problems. Maybe if you tell him he'll be cool and do the right thing and take it back. Or maybe he has a mechanic and he'll fix it for free or at a big discount. You never know until you ask.

It sounds like Geordy's friend has a better boat for you. Do yourself a favor and ask for a "sea trial" before you buy a boat next time. That means put the boat in the water and drive around at different speeds just like you would do if you owned the boat. Running a boat motor on muffs or in a trash can isn't the same as pushing the boat along in the water. Under load many seemingly good motors, reveal that they have problems just as yours did.

A boat seller that refuses a sea trial either has something to hide or is just too lazy. Obviously it makes no sense to ask for a sea trial on a $500 boat or a boat with a very small motor. But for a higher dollar boat with a bigger engine it only makes sense. Would you buy a used car without test driving it on the street? I think not.

I really do wish you the best. I hope you listen to all the excellent advice that has been given to you. We've all been in your position at one point, not knowing much about boats. Just ask questions first (not after you already have the boat), then carefully follow the advice. We won't steer you wrong.

Good Luck,
    Kev

FB,

I paid 5k for my new boat that should have sold for between 12-14k. I had no problem putting in 2800.00 to get it up and running. I am in 8k for a 12-14k boat. My boat had the exact same problems your describing. It would only get on plane with carb spray. I did way more damage running it around pudd trying to get it fixed 200.00 at a time. I should have taken it in before I even fired it up and got it going. Lesson Learned. Its a lesson Kev, Geordy and myself have all learned. We are trying to pass on to you to save you what we have all gone through. You have to ask yourself is the boat worth 2400.00. Because that is probably what your looking at to get it going properly. You may even be able to buy a rebuilt outboard for 1200.00 and go that route. If its not worth 2400.00. (1200 boat + 1200 mech work). Look elsewhere, but be warned, used boats are almost never turn key ready. Thay have sat and need work. Its what happens generally. Just be realistic about your situation and do the right thing for you. If the boat is worth 2400.00 when its running perfectly, go for it. If not, return it and try a different route. This will be a great learning experience for you.
    Last edited by BingJr; 09-21-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    I had a 75' 85hp Mercury for 30 years on my Mon Ark green Machine. To get it to start up properly you would pump the buble until fuel would leak from the carb and puddle in the front of the engine, it was necessary every time we took the boat out for 30 years and it ran like a clock. All the different mechanics who tuned her up all said it was the way those merc ran. You sputter problem is unfortunately a Carb problem and that is not a cheap venture to get it done properly. I spent 2700 on my new boat that haddn't been run for year putting on a new carb, all new seals, new impellar and all new fluids along with pumping out all of the old gas. I would strongly recommend that you clean your fuel tank out completely before putting new gas in it. It may be worth it to just buy a new one. The 2700 I spent getting it completely redone and up and running was the best money I ever spent. I wasted many trips trying to nickle and dime my way to getting a motor running. Just my 2c worth but I was there myself not too long ago.
    i have the same boat 1975 manark 85hrs evinrude and the gas does puddle a lil in front of the motor ,im glad i emptied all the old gas out,and put new gas mixed it up the best i could and also took that gas out in it.i also put new plugs ,oil was change on the bottom unit b4 i got it.but take your time and get it done right the first time.the thing i learned about having a damn boat is your always gonna have to maintain it and they are not cheap.just like women

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    OK FB, I hope reality is setting in. You have Geordy telling you it will be about $1,300 to fix the motor and everything. You have me telling you it will be at least $1,200. Just between the two of us alone, I think we've owned 20-30 boats and motors, maybe more. So I think we're qualified to estimate the extent and expected costs of your problems. If you want to double-check, do what kaneo suggests and pay for a complete check-up. But that will just be another $100-200 down the drain if you don't end up keeping this boat.

Let me say this as plainly as I can.

If your motor speeds up when you squeeze the fuel bulb, that means YOU ARE NOT GETTING ENOUGH GAS.

Running the motor when it is not getting enough gas WILL MOST CERTAINLY DAMAGE IT.

Pumping the fuel bulb more as you suggested WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

That's good that you haven't run the boat since you went to Piru. Don't run it at all until after the mechanic has fixed it 100%.

Honestly, your best bet is to try to return this boat to the lot and get your money back. If the owner really is a friend of your grandpa's he should never have stuck you with this rig. Maybe he truly didn't know about all the motor problems. Maybe if you tell him he'll be cool and do the right thing and take it back. Or maybe he has a mechanic and he'll fix it for free or at a big discount. You never know until you ask.

It sounds like Geordy's friend has a better boat for you. Do yourself a favor and ask for a "sea trial" before you buy a boat next time. That means put the boat in the water and drive around at different speeds just like you would do if you owned the boat. Running a boat motor on muffs or in a trash can isn't the same as pushing the boat along in the water. Under load many seemingly good motors, reveal that they have problems just as yours did.

A boat seller that refuses a sea trial either has something to hide or is just too lazy. Obviously it makes no sense to ask for a sea trial on a $500 boat or a boat with a very small motor. But for a higher dollar boat with a bigger engine it only makes sense. Would you buy a used car without test driving it on the street? I think not.

I really do wish you the best. I hope you listen to all the excellent advice that has been given to you. We've all been in your position at one point, not knowing much about boats. Just ask questions first (not after you already have the boat), then carefully follow the advice. We won't steer you wrong.

Good Luck,
    Kev
    EXACTLY.

Well I've owned:
    5- 13' Boston Whalers/25 yamaha/2 Suzuki 40's/mercury 25hp 4stroke/40 Mariner
    1 16' Cobia Tri-hull 40hp Suzuki
    1 19' Novurania RIB 90 Yamaha
    1 16' Cobia 40 Evinrude (BAD BUY!!!!)
    1 15' Tri-hull 40hp Suzuki
    1 12' Novurania 9.9hp Merc
    1 12' Fiberglass Skiff 9.5hp Johnson
    2 12' Sea King Aluminum skiffs/6hp Johnson/5.5hp johnson
    2 14' Sea King Aluminum skiffs/8hp Mariner/6hp johnson
    1 13' Valco Aluminum Skiff
    1 Watertender plastic hull boat(IDK why i sold it ?!?!) 25hp Mercury
    1 23' Sea-Ray V6 Mercruiser
    1 17' Lowe Bass boat 40hp Suzuki
    1 10' Walker Bay 2.5hp Nissan
    1 9' West Marine inflatable 2.5hp tohatsu
    Motors:
    2 40hp Johnson/evinrudes
    1 25hp Mariner
    1 9.5hp Johnson
    1 40hp Suzuki(Yes, Ive had lots of Suzukis,,,lol,,,)
    2 7.5hp Honda
    1 10hp Honda
    2 Nissan 2.5/3.5
    2 Johnson 6/7.5hp....

and a few others I've forgot about,,,lol,,,

I've got alot under my belt,,,lol,,,

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast