Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Smell

Do you think it would be possible to take it back to the place I got it and tell them that it isn't working right and I will be able to get it fixed for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to take it back to the place I got it and tell them that it isn't working right and I will be able to get it fixed for free?
    For 1200.00 I would doubt it. I don't think your going to find any boat for 1200.00 that is turn key ready to just use, unless its a small aluminum with small motor. If the hull is in good shape it will be worth getting it up and running. Maybe contact them and see if they will give you a deal on a tune up.

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    For 1200.00 I would doubt it. I don't think your going to find any boat for 1200.00 that is turn key ready to just use, unless its a small aluminum with small motor. If the hull is in good shape it will be worth getting it up and running. Maybe contact them and see if they will give you a deal on a tune up.
    The hull is in pretty good shape and the upholstery and everything. I will post some pics of in along with motor and other things that could help diagnosis my problem.

Here are overall pictures of the boat: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...8&postcount=30

Below are pictures of some other things.

We looked up the serial number on the outboard and it seems to be from 1971.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fueltank.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	15386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	15387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	15388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throttle.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	15389  
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    Only you would know that....Don't run anymore of that fuel thru engine. Get a new tank, fuel hose, fuel filters??? does it have one??? You are going to have to mess with that engine.

If your fuel tank doesn't leak and you don't want to buy a new one, you can clean it 100% with this:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1253326800

First, remove the metal strap holding the tank, then disconnect the fuel hoses and take the whole tank out. Then clean it using the fuel tank cleaner (follow directions). Be sure to also apply the fuel cleaner to your fuel lines and blow out everything with compressed air.

Are you sure that's spilled fuel that you show in the one picture? It looks like it's right by the drain plug of the boat. It could just be water.

Anyways, like BingJr said it could be normal for your motor to need a lot of gas to start.

If you buy a shop manual for your outboard (buy the Mercury brand one, not Chilton's or Seloc) and someone in your family is mechanically inclined, they should be able to clean and adjust all your carbs. When you disassemble them you will need to soak them in carb cleaner overnight, then clean the orifices with a very thin wire, then blow everything out with compressed air. You may need rebuild kits for each, maybe $20-25 per carb, around $100 total.

You will probably also want to rebuild your fuel pump, and replace your fuel lines. I think the fuel tank can just be cleaned though provided it doesn't have a hole in it.

You can do all this work yourself and save a ton.

Good Luck,
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman View Post
    If your fuel tank doesn't leak and you don't want to buy a new one, you can clean it 100% with this:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1253326800

First, remove the metal strap holding the tank, then disconnect the fuel hoses and take the whole tank out. Then clean it using the fuel tank cleaner (follow directions). Be sure to also apply the fuel cleaner to your fuel lines and blow out everything with compressed air.

Are you sure that's spilled fuel that you show in the one picture? It looks like it's right by the drain plug of the boat. It could just be water.

Anyways, like BingJr said it could be normal for your motor to need a lot of gas to start.

If you buy a shop manual for your outboard (buy the Mercury brand one, not Chilton's or Seloc) and someone in your family is mechanically inclined, they should be able to clean and adjust all your carbs. When you disassemble them you will need to soak them in carb cleaner overnight, then clean the orifices with a very thin wire, then blow everything out with compressed air. You may need rebuild kits for each, maybe $20-25 per carb, around $100 total.

You will probably also want to rebuild your fuel pump, and replace your fuel lines. I think the fuel tank can just be cleaned though provided it doesn't have a hole in it.

You can do all this work yourself and save a ton.

Good Luck,
    Kev
    The drain plug is in the picture, but it is not plugged in. The hole that you plug it into is not in the picture. My dad felt the liquid and he said it was definitely oil or gas and not water.

We might go and test the boat out again, but at Castaic this time and we will bring some fishing gear, lol.

The price doesn't seem too bad for getting it all fixed up. How much do you think a service place would charge to get all that done?

I wouldn't be surprised if they charged over $1,200 parts and labor. You will pay them as much as you paid for the boat. On the other hand, you can buy all the parts and chemicals yourself for $200 or less and do the work yourself.

Where do you live? There must a backyard mechanic on this board who can help you.

I wouldn't run the boat again without addressing some of the issues we've listed for you. If you continue to run the engine in a lean condition (not getting enough gas), you can definitely damage it.

At the minimum, you should:

Go to Autozone and buy Seafoam (comes in a metal can) and spray carb cleaner. Buy Startron from West Marine or Napa Auto Parts.

1. Empty and remove fuel tank and clean tank and fuel lines with Startron (per instructions) and blow out all with compressed air.

2. Put fresh fuel in tank and add 1 can of Seafoam to the gas.

3. Start motor and run on muffs or in a trash can of water. When motor is warm, squirt carb cleaner very liberally into the throats of each carb. Do this several times. It is very normal for your outboard to smoke A LOT when you have Seafoam in the gas or when you spray carb cleaner into the carbs.

Your motor might run right after this or it might not. Ideally you should do everything right--disassembling, soaking, and rebuilding the carbs, but if you don't have the mechanical skill, the above might work and it's very cheap (less than $50) and fast.

Good luck. Just remember that doing a half-as$ job is not likely to fix your motor and will probably cause you more frustration in the end than doing the job right from the start. Look for a good cheap backyard mechanic to help you or buy a shop manual. Don't pay $1,000 in labor to a shop. If you are ready to really open up the wallet, you're probably better off selling this boat and getting a better one for $2,500. Good ones are out there.

Kev

I am pretty sure I found out what is wrong. My grandpa said that when he pumped the bulb more, then it would speed up again. The bulb never got too hard. So I am assuming that it needs a new fuel line, he didn't pump it enough, or the vent isn't getting enough air. Also, The tank is almost overflowing with fuel. That is probably why it smells so much and there is a vent that is always open on the tank. (At least it looks like it is a tube that is attached to the tank and then comes out the back.

Also, it shifting into reverse is kind of rough.
    Last edited by Fire Ball; 09-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.

If the fuel is bad or the tank is dirty, the more you test it, the more damage you will do.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast