Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Trout rods: Question for you Kencor fans....

Default Trout rods: Question for you Kencor fans....

Anyone here use Kencor for trout fishing? I love their orange color.

Anyways, love to know what your favorite length/model is, and why?

Thanks,
    ULF

Kencors are nice if you like the feel of glass rods. Their graphite rods were good for the price when I used them, but they supposedly had breakage issues. The high end Tenlew Magnaglass (I think that was the name) rods were the orange ones, and were pretty fun to bring fish in on because of how much they bent. They cost as much as other high end trout rods, and weren't the most sensitive rods when compared to Phenix, Loomis, or St. Croixs. Kind of like old school Carrot Stix with the color too.

Not exactly what I wanted in a trout rod, but you definitely have guys who wouldn't fish anything else.

Don't remember a specific model. I just remember I used my cousin's 7' and 5'.

The sad thing is that they are now out of business. There are enough floating around that you could probably find what you wanted, but you aren't getting a warranty replacement.

I had a 3ft Kencor before but never really used it before passing it on. This is why I'm now asking you 'pros' for your comments.

Thanks!
    UL

I own 2 6'6" Kencor rods one Magnaglass the other the new Zebra .

I also own a 6 " magnaglass

And I also own a 5'5" magnaglass.

I love the Kencor rods. I am sad they are no longer in biz.

Kenny was kind enough to sell me one of the first original "Black" Zebra 6'9" proto's blanks back when they first came out. I still have it even though I hardly ever throw bait or hardware, but it is still my favorite trout rod when I take a rod just in case (I still have a couple of Fenwick "Fenglass" UL rods and Eagle graphite rods).
    LW

I agree, it is sad. I really like American made companies and very few are still wrapping in the USA like Kencor.

Anyways, keep the responses coming. Enjoying the read. What's your favorite model/length and why?

Thanks,
    UL

Looking for a Kencor? Ask this guy, he may have what you want.

I'm not a huge fan of Kencor Magnaglas ultra-light rods, a little too soft for my taste. But the Pac 73 is a nice mini-jig rod. OTOH, I really liked their old orange & black Zebra ultra-lights. I wished they kept making those.

Thanks!

Fuj, what did you like about the Zebra UL over the orange Magna glass?

Thanks,
    UL

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Fuj, what did you like about the Zebra UL over the orange Magna glass?
    A bit more stiffness. I'd rank them between the original all-glass Kencors and a typical graphite rod in terms of stiffness and recoil.

Thanks!

UL