Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Split Grip Question

Default Split Grip Question

I'm planning to build a 15lb inshore salt water stick and am toying with the idea of putting a split grip on it. If anyone fishes with a split grip on an ocean rod, how do you like it? Does the split grip get uncomfortable holding the rod under your armpit?

Every single rod I've done is with a split grip. Anything from UL to 30lb.

Default Split Grip

Got to agree with C.K.K I have built several rods split grip for saltwater applications. I esp perfer them for my bass rods. I like to use EVA it looks better, light weight, feels good. Just my opinion. If you have questions just send me a pm.

Eddie
    aka bigreeler

A split grip is more comfortable under the arm than the marine cord I use for the handles on all my other offshore rods.
    LW

I was think about doing the same when I start wrapping rods. I always wanted my tuna setups to have split grips. I am glad to know that there is no difference in comfort level.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I was think about doing the same when I start wrapping rods. I always wanted my tuna setups to have split grips. I am glad to know that there is no difference in comfort level.
    Umm it depends. If you fish tuna with the rod under your arms and the exposed grip is shoved into your armpit, it's gonna hurt more than straight hypalon or EVA. I don't like tuna cord at all because it's ugly and uncomfortable. I like split grips for my tuna rods because I use a gimbal.