Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WANTED 14' to 16' Boat

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    100hp outboard will not pull up a skier with 4 passangers in the boat and a skier on the backside. New outboards are rated at the prop so that means 100hp at the prop output. Outboards of that age in the add above (also the outboard that was on the green machine I had) were rated at the power head. So, 100hp back in the day was less than 100hp of today. I would say probably 10hp - from the rating. That is a great boat Geo, but for someone looking for a boat to pull a skier with 4 passengers in the boat, that wont getter done im afraid. but thats just my 2c worth! :)
    I disagree. We ran a 17'4" Larson with a Volvo 145HP I/O for years back in the 80s. That boat could pull up a skier while carrying 7 passengers, an ice chest, a portable tarp, and a full tank of gas. And it was a 4-banger.

I've personally seen a 15 ft. boat with a 50HP outboard pull a skier while carrying a driver, an observer, an ice chest and some fishing gear. And it was a 4-stroke. Older 2-strokes will have a stronger hole-shot than 4-strokes of comparable HP.

It's quite possible that boat could carry 2 adults and 2 kids and still pull a skier. And you need even less power to get someone up on a wakeboard or skurf board since the surface area is so much greater than a water ski.

If you're serious, and the seller is serious, I'd recommend you put on the trunks and head out to the lake and see.
    Last edited by Kevman; 09-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Hey bing, That boat will tow a skier NO PROBLEM.... With 3-4 people it's 100% possible .... That motor is more or less an 82-85'.... The only companies that tested HP by powerhead was FORCE/CHRYSLER and older Mercurys.... OMC,Yamaha, and Suzuki always tested through prop..... Again, 100hp is plenty for a skier(under 200lbs,not me lol) and keep 2 People on the bow, and 1 or 2 at driver and passenger seat.... better weight distribution= easier hole shot.... You'll be fine with that boat for what you need, 15' = no storage fees and enough for you hahaha....

if these people are showing you these boats you need to show interest and go check them out,its gonna be hard to find the perfect boat that you want especially on craigs list,the time you check them out they may be sold already,i was on my way to yucaipa to buy a boat and the guy knew i was on my way,3/4 of the way there he called me and told me boat was sold,i was pissed and i looked and looked to find a similiar boat but just couldnt find one.

Taht is true, the perfect boat is really tuff to find in a used/good price capacity. Compromise is the name of the game when finding a well priced boat. The boat I just bought was an I/O and not what I ideally wanted and it had a windshield, (Not what I wanted either but the wife loved it). But otherwise it was an unbelievable boat at a great price. I knew I wouldn't do much better in the used boat market. FILB is correct, when you find something that is close, you need to pull the trigger. That is sound advice.

I am sorry , I got cornfused, I thought that was an older Mercury on that boat you posted Geo. I had looked at so many boat adds, I gottem mixed up. You are right, that should be 10-15 hp stronger than I was giving it credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by BingJr View Post
    I am sorry , I got cornfused, I thought that was an older Mercury on that boat you posted Geo. I had looked at so many boat adds, I gottem mixed up. You are right, that should be 10-15 hp stronger than I was giving it credit for.
    Oh yeah, Mercurys were all tested by Prop to,older ones as well,my bad...

Only company that tested by crank is Force/Chrysler,,,

Reason I don't want to buy an I/O:
    Two boats caught on fire in CASTAIC today(9/19), one had it's motor catch fire but it was extinguished and no damage to the boat, only motor....the other one caught on fire completely and was 100% destroyed.... didnt sink but hull/interior were absolutely not fixable....It happened toward the closing time,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_091909_007.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	15368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo_091909_009.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	15369  

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Oh yeah, Mercurys were all tested by Prop to,older ones as well,my bad...

Only company that tested by crank is Force/Chrysler,,,

Reason I don't want to buy an I/O:
    Two boats caught on fire in CASTAIC today(9/19), one had it's motor catch fire but it was extinguished and no damage to the boat, only motor....the other one caught on fire completely and was 100% destroyed.... didnt sink but hull/interior were absolutely not fixable....It happened toward the closing time,,,
    I went and checkout that boat today, but it was a piece of junk. On the way there there was a boat lot and we ended up buying a way better tri hull there. The guy at the boat lot knew my grandpa (who was with me because he knows a lot about boats) from an old boat lot that the seller owned that my grandpa had bought a few boat from in the past.

On the way home, we went and tested the boat out at Piru. We had a couple problems so we are going to get a tuneup soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
    I went and checkout that boat today, but it was a piece of junk. On the way there there was a boat lot and we ended up buying a way better tri hull there. The guy at the boat lot knew my grandpa (who was with me because he knows a lot about boats) from an old boat lot that the seller owned that my grandpa had bought a few boat from in the past.

On the way home, we went and tested the boat out at Piru. We had a couple problems so we are going to get a tuneup soon.
    Why was it junk? lol

Do you have pics of your "new" boat? And how much did you pay?What motor?lol

Quote Originally Posted by GeordyBass View Post
    Why was it junk? lol

Do you have pics of your "new" boat? And how much did you pay?What motor?lol
    On the junk one, the paint was messed up, seats ripped up, looked like a homemade paint job on the bottom of it, it had been sitting in his drive way for 10 year without any use, etc.

No pictures of the new boat yet. I have it in my garage so there isn't much room so I probably couldn't get any good pictures until I take it out. I paid $1250 for it and he threw in 8 life jackets, some oil, bimini, and a couple other things. It has a 80 hp Mercury outboard and it is a 16 ft boat.

Here some pictures of the new boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	15382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	15383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quicksilver.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	15385  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast