Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Rod Blank

Quote Originally Posted by 2jackedLUNGS View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. So for bait fishing I need a long slower action rod. And the rod I described at first ( 6'6" ultralight fast action) is more suited for jigging and such?
    Si senor. I would recommend something more in the 6'6"-7' range, moderate or mod-fast action, and under $50. Remember, your holder will be handling your rod more than you will, so don't worry too much about weight, high end guides, etc. Kinda like a millionaire in a Camry.

If your just gonna be bait fishing IE bait & wait just go to walmart and buy any ul combo

Are you building this for yourself or having someone built for you?

And are you strictly for bait? (i.e. worms, Powerbait type stuff)

Or are you needing something with great sensitivity for jigs and such also? I know you mentioned bait but though I'd double check.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Are you building this for yourself or having someone built for you?

And are you strictly for bait? (i.e. worms, Powerbait type stuff)

Or are you needing something with great sensitivity for jigs and such also? I know you mentioned bait but though I'd double check.

UL
    Im having it made for me. Its going to be for both baitfishing and jigging.

Got it. In that case, going custom can gain you some very real advantages. If it is just for bait, I would suggest you put the $$ into a great reel in terms of drag so that you can use very light 2 lbs lines with a great drag. The rod doesn't matter as much as long as it is limber/soft enough. But if you are jigging, that changes the equation and custom makes sense.

Thanks,
    UL

Quote Originally Posted by 2jackedLUNGS View Post
    Im having it made for me. Its going to be for both baitfishing and jigging.
    2 completely different applications. I'd go with getting a pure mini jig rod for the custom, and then spend like $40 on a Shimano Voltaeus, Berkley Lightning Rod, Ugly Stick, or something comparable for the bait and wait rod.

The two rod approach is good because it gives you something productive to do while bait and waiting.

If you need baitfishing AND artificial blank with great value, go with the St.Croix 3S70ULF($80). If you want something that will accomodate both and you have quite a few bucks to dish out, S842-2 IMX($160). If you want to ball up the rest of the rod, go with Fuji SIC TATSG's(~$80 a set) and skeleton reel seat with a split grip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12