Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Rod Blank

Default Best Rod Blank

Who makes the best rod blanks? I want to get a custom trout rod wrapped and was thinking of going with a Gloomis blank. Is there anything out there better?

What style of trout fishing?

Loomis is no doubt a good blank, but I'd rather have a couple different rainshadows wrapped and still have money for a reel versus buying one loomis.

As Sansou said, gloomis are really good but rainshadows are way cheaper and very comparable to them,,,

The "Best"? Depends what you want to do. If I want the "Best" minijig blank, I'd buy a Sage Fly rod blank and wrap on that, but a good one with SIC guides, etc will set you back $400-$500. It is the "Best" though. Haven't had a whole lot of luck trying to find a UL blank that is ex-fast for the 2lb DS yet. Still looking though. For bait fishing purposes, anything will be fine. I'm still waiting for Phenix to introduce their Elixir trout blanks.

ill use the rod mostly for baitfishing. i was planning on getting the loomis s781 imx 6'6" ultralight fast action blank. loomis wont be selling blanks anymore after november which is another reason i wanted to go with a loomis. i checked out sage and all they dont have an ultralight spinning rod blank.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jackedLUNGS View Post
    ill use the rod mostly for baitfishing. i was planning on getting the loomis s781 imx 6'6" ultralight fast action blank. loomis wont be selling blanks anymore after november which is another reason i wanted to go with a loomis. i checked out sage and all they dont have an ultralight spinning rod blank.
    short fast action and bait??????? For bait-n-wait, most prefer a longer rod than 6'6", and slower action. The idea being you want to be able to huck light weight trout baits far.

As for Sage: Sage makes higher end fly rods. A 7.5 to 8.5 ft 3/4/5wt blank + spinning guides & reel seat = finesse mini jig rod. Or, you can just use a 1-4lb rated spinning blank (look for graphite though) in the same length and have it wrapped (will have a bit more backbone than a fly rod blank obviously).

The thing is, you don't need an expensive blank to make an "excellent" SoCal trout rod....unless of course you live in SoCal and name brand recognition matters more than performance.

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    The thing is, you don't need an expensive blank to make an "excellent" SoCal trout rod....unless of course you live in SoCal and name brand recognition matters more than performance.
    Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by sansou View Post
    short fast action and bait??????? For bait-n-wait, most prefer a longer rod than 6'6", and slower action. The idea being you want to be able to huck light weight trout baits far.

As for Sage: Sage makes higher end fly rods. A 7.5 to 8.5 ft 3/4/5wt blank + spinning guides & reel seat = finesse mini jig rod. Or, you can just use a 1-4lb rated spinning blank (look for graphite though) in the same length and have it wrapped (will have a bit more backbone than a fly rod blank obviously).

What blank would you recommend for bait fishing? How long?

You can wrap fly blanks as spinning blanks fine. Just a bit more moderate action. If you're using this rod solely for bait fishing, I wouldn't recommend anything over $50. Check out Rainshadow Blanks.

If you're bait fishing, why would you want such an expensive blank? Seems like a waste to me. All you do is cast it out, put it in the holder, and sit back and enjoy a beer. Also, like Sansou said, you want a slower action that fast or exfast.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    You can wrap fly blanks as spinning blanks fine. Just a bit more moderate action. If you're using this rod solely for bait fishing, I wouldn't recommend anything over $50. Check out Rainshadow Blanks.

If you're bait fishing, why would you want such an expensive blank? Seems like a waste to me. All you do is cast it out, put it in the holder, and sit back and enjoy a beer. Also, like Sansou said, you want a slower action that fast or exfast.

Thanks for all the advice. So for bait fishing I need a long slower action rod. And the rod I described at first ( 6'6" ultralight fast action) is more suited for jigging and such?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast