Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freshwater Rods Comparable to Mitchell's Zero Gravity

Koshaw,

60 or 70 yards is not far by spinning standards. Heck, most seasoned anglers can cast ocean jigs on conventionals that far with 40lb test. Surf guys with conventionals can get up to 500-600 feet+ !!!

I think that braid stuff you've been experimenting with trout fishing is incompatible. I just don't see the upside for it, other than maybe you save long term costs on mono (short topshot of mono over braid).

A limber spinning 7fter, medium action, paired with 2-4lb test on a decent reel will get you further than 70 yards with most trout lures (especially heavier krocs and spoons).

Hmm Never used it for lures, only for weight/bait.

May have to try it with lures then.

Koshaw, you have the wrong idea. UL is a rating for the rod's line weight capacity, not length. Anything rated 1-4lb or 2-6lb is UL, doesn't matter whether it's 4' or 32'. Casting is a skill developed through experience. Quality tackle only helps you that much more.

I would recommend that you don't use your 12' for lures. It will be awfully tip heavy and will make your wrists quite uncomfortable. Also, it will be quite awkward and cumbersome. For trout minijigs, I would recommend a max length of 8'6" and a maximum of 7'4" for light line dropshotting.

Thanks for the info =).

I did find a new one and I will pick it up anyway cause it seems like a rare item...only 20$ (hear they retailed for 100).

I will also do a lot more practicing :D just gotta head to the beach or lake and do it.

Greetings,

I'm a bit nuts about distance casting. What you wrote seem a bit off. Not challenging you but asking.

1. Are you sure he was doing about 1/2 oz? And what type of lures?
    2. What reel was he using?
    3. Most importantly, are you sure he was casting 80 yards? That's 240 feet - a fair bit of distance.

I do not agree by the way that a 12 footer will outcast a 6 footer. It depends on your lure weight, line, reel etc. For example, with a properly built 6 footer, I believe that I will outcast a 12 footer with 1/64 jig all day on light line. Doesn't matter which 12 footer. In fact, for 1/64, I think 7' may outcast a 8'- this though I'm unsure as I've not done enough tests on that one.

UL
    Last edited by Ultralight; 09-17-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Greetings,

I'm a bit nuts about distance casting. What you wrote seem a bit off. Not challenging you but asking.

1. Are you sure he was doing about 1/2 oz? And what type of lures?
    2. What reel was he using?
    3. Most importantly, are you sure he was casting 80 yards? That's 240 feet - a fair bit of distance.

I do not agree by the way that a 12 footer will outcast a 6 footer. It depends on your lure weight, line, reel etc. For example, with a properly built 6 footer, I believe that I will outcast a 12 footer with 1/64 jig all day on light line. Doesn't matter which 12 footer. In fact, for 1/64, I think 7' may outcast a 8'- this though I'm unsure as I've not done enough tests on that one.

UL
    Yeah, but I'll for 1/2-1oz, which was what Koshaw was referring to,
    I'd take a 12ft over a 6ft anyday. I'm talking same reel, same line, same weight.

Calico Killer Kevin,

You're right on about 1/2 oz, I'll take a 12 footer too.

But he did say he'll also use jigs in subsequent posts. I don't know of any 1/4 oz jigs let alone 1/2 oz. Even 1/8 oz is probably pretty rare, so I'm taking the lightest jig and starting there. Thought I'd clarify.

UL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12