Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Calcutta vs. Luna

I have a Daiwa TD Luna 253 and I have it set up for inshore fishing. 40# braid (easier to tie knots) and anywhere from 12# to 20# top shots. Works good. But if I had the money for a Shimano Calcutta TE, I'd go there.

Before I added the power handle.....flinging live bait with magnetic cast control is the chitz. The 300 doesnt have cast control....just buy a saltist level wind, really.

Last edited by bing!; 09-13-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Default Daiwa Luna

Hey Rich, I have to say I sold off all my Calcuttas B's and TE's. I'm very impressed with the Daiwa Luna as a Salt Water application. I vote for the 253LA for the size or the 300LA if you want more line cap and a bait clicker. The L is for left handed if that is what you fish or just drop the L and its your right handed model. Also with a Carbontex Drag upgrade and spool and sideplate bearing upgrade this reel will cast a country mile and have the stopping power you are looking for. I get the ceramic hybrids bearings from BOCA BEARINGS for my upgrades. Trust me you will not be disapointed.

Eddie
    aka bigreeler

Revo Inshore or Curado 300. That's it. Revo Inshore is a beast of a reel with 20# of drag. Winching calicos off of boilers and kelp is a breeze. Load it up with 50lb braid and go to work. Trust me...
    Last edited by calico killer kevin; 09-13-2009 at 05:29 PM.

A Revo Toro 50 or even a 60 might be a good choice too. Like the Inshore except with more line capacity if you decide to go have fun with tuna, yellowtail, or dorado on kelp patties. No experience with those guys either, but I haven't heard anything negative about them at all.

diawa pluton. calcuta and luna isnt even fair. its like a $130 vs a 200-400$$ reel ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I have a Daiwa TD Luna 253 and I have it set up for inshore fishing. 40# braid (easier to tie knots) and anywhere from 12# to 20# top shots. Works good. But if I had the money for a Shimano Calcutta TE, I'd go there.

Before I added the power handle.....flinging live bait with magnetic cast control is the chitz. The 300 doesnt have cast control....just buy a saltist level wind, really.

x2!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for their input. You guys gave me lots to think about.

I was hoping to get one today in time for a quickie (last minute decision) trip to San Q, but I'm gonna wait to actually fondle the goods before I really need it when I hopefully make a run for Geronimo/Sac reef later.

Tightlines to everyone.

I fish a luna 253 and love it, Great reel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12