Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bassin & Troutin up the 395

Default Bassin & Troutin up the 395

Took last week off and headed up the 395 with my two older sons. Planned stops for bass and trout.

SHORT VERISON

Over 100 bass and 150 trout in 6 days of fishing

LONG VERSION:

First few days were spent in the Owens Valley tubing the ponds for a decent bite on LMB. Lots each day with the biggest around 3lbs.

The boys also "slayed" the bluegill each day!!!

7am the first day - lookin' fishy

Ryan scored a nice one right away

Not to be out done, little brother hammers away

I guess I gotta get in on the action

Plus a few other random fish

When fishing slows, we capture other "wildlife"!!

Next we hit up North Lake, on our way up to Parchers Resort. Got lots of nice Brownies, Brookies and Rainbows

Approx 50 fish the first day up here

Next 2 days it was trout fishing on South Lake. 35 fish the first day and 60 fish the second day.

Jared hooked us up with the full VIP package at Parchers. The Family Chateau, complete with Satellite TV and Boat. Best of all, it's right next to the road so you have quick lake access:

All joking aside, Jared and crew took great care of us and the entire Parchers Resort is first class !!! Thanks for everything my friend!!!!

South Lake Day one I managed the Trout Grand Slam, catching rainbow, golden, brook and brown trout on the same day.

Day two we caught a ton of fish including this nice 4lb 11oz rainbow

Fishing at South Lake was pretty much wide open. We only left each day because my crew kept getting worn down.

In between all the fishing we did manage a few cool hikes. This one up to about 10,500 on the pass of the backside of South Lake

This up towards Sawmill Pass in the Owens Valley

We also visited the Manzanar Memorial along the 395. This was the camp where anyone associated with Japanese ancestory during WW II was "relocated". Very interesting place. After visiting the museum there and reading of all the emotions that went thru everyone, then and now, I thought this American Flag, placed at the entry to the cemetery, was quite ironic

Another epic trip with the boys!!!

Ed

Congrats good job bonding with your boys..that's what I like to see

Took my son for an initial trek to the Kern for 2 days last week got a

camp site at Hospital Flats for 2 days....he loved it wants to go back

Awsome pictures. Looks like you and the boys had a great time.

Fabulous looking trip, good times! :wink:

Looks like a spectacular trip and a chance to bond with the boys! :D breathtaking pics, too!!! 8)

Hope my son and daughter take to fishing, too... :wink:

I loved your report. Very nice indeed.

The Flag deserves better. :cry:

One_Leg

WOW!!!

Those are some INCREDIBLE pics of both the scenery and the fish. BTW...what kind of camera do you have?

Thanks for sharing!

Default nice

great report and pics

congrats on the slam

-mr. trout

Default Looks fun

I wife daughter and I will be up there next week. Do you mind letting us know what bait you were using?
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments!

Cameras used are the Nikon D70 - SLR and for the water shots the Pentax Optio W30.

I am still sorting thru approx 400 shots and have started putting them up on our website. If you are interested in seeing the full sized photos, in a slide show format, check out the following link and run the slide show:

http://seatech.photosite.com/Fishing2005/Sierras2007/

The most productive bait we used was 1/2 night crawler inflated and a small split shot with approx 12" leader. We also got them on flylined crawlers, crawlers under a bobber and flylined inflated crawlers.

I threw the Orange Lip Rippers and Pearl White Mini-jig for many other fish too.

I think the key at South Lake was renting a boat and fishing the far side of the lake. Fish were all in tight 2-15 feet of water, right up on the rocks.

Here is a shot showing where we would normally anchor.

Hope this helps!

One Leg - I don't think any disrespect was intended by placing the flag there (even though it now touches the ground). In fact based on comments read in the diaries, I think quite the opposite was intended by whoever planted it on the fence.

Maybe it is truely symbolic??? You have American citizens, forced to live (against their will) and die in a horrible place and now the flag that flies for the country where they were born, fully supported and interned them, touches the dirt under which they are buried.

...maybe thoughts too heavy for a fishing report but something to consider :)

Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast