Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rod Builders please help

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    If you want an inexpensive/entry level hand wrapper, I would suggest the Flex Coat hand wrapper. It's about $70 and you can get a power dryer for about $80 and your whole set-up should cost you about $150 (plus whatever shipping cost) which is about half the price of any powered rod wrapper. One of the most useful features is the thread tensioning device. It's the same one most power wrappers come equiped with.
    This should do until you decide whether or not a powered wrapper is cost effective.
    Fortunately tuna sticks are for the most part short (under 7'). The only shortfall with this and most hand wrappers will be if you want to wrap a longer jig stick.
    LW (Robert)
    So...If I wanted to wrap longer rods I should get a power wrapper?

If and when I start wrapping I do want to build longer jig stick and swimbait rods. Also I want to wrap some longer popping rods as well.

The Flex Coat Hand Wrapping HW1 for $55.00 at Custom Tackle Supply has the main wrapping base and another separate smaller one so you can wrap long rods no problem.

http://www.flexcoat.com/equip.html

http://www.customtackle.com/cgi-bin/...65&partner=cts

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

If and when I start wrapping I do want to build longer jig stick and swimbait rods. Also I want to wrap some longer popping rods as well.
    The only difference between wrapping longer rods vs. shorter rods are that your wraps will be longer and there will be more guides to wrap. There is absolutely no need for a power wrapper, but it's always a nice thing to have.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

There is really no reason to buy a Custom Power Wrap unless you plan on wrapping professionally or you don't mind spending the money and want to spoil yourself.
    Most rod wrappers will handle up to 8' rods easily. Longer rods like the 690J, 530 or 540's can be done (I've done them) but with a little more difficulty. However you mentioned that you would like to wrap tuna rods and I don't wrap tuna rods longer than 7' with most being around 5'2" to 6'6".
    LW (Robert)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123