Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Builders please help

Oh ya, for got to mention that the only thing mechanical in my setup is my rod dryer which I modified a rotisserie for. You may not need an electric wrapper, but you do need a motorized dryer. Something nice and slow.

Warning - rodbuilding is addictive in more ways than one. Once you start you may not know where or when to stop.....LOL! It's like Alice falling into the rabbit hole.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    just a question, why would you want a 2-piece ulua? Transportation problems? Most guys won't even touch a rod that's not a solid one piece.
    i
    If I make a Ulua type rod it will be mainly for throwing poppers offshore. Almost all of the rods I have used have been two piece or come off at the real seat. The Daiwa Saltiga popping rod is an example of one that comes off at the reel seat.

http://www.plat.co.jp/english/ufm/gt.htm

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Ueda rods from Japan. They are one of the best rod makers in Japan. They make anything from Fly rods to Ulua rods.

All of their Ulua and Gt rods are two piece. A design feature that is specific to Ueda rods is that the part that the two pieces connect is not a flush connection like many rods in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Oh ya, for got to mention that the only thing mechanical in my setup is my rod dryer which I modified a rotisserie for. You may not need an electric wrapper, but you do need a motorized dryer. Something nice and slow.
    Thanks I will keep that in mind. You seem like quite the handy man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Warning - rodbuilding is addictive in more ways than one. Once you start you may not know where or when to stop.....LOL! It's like Alice falling into the rabbit hole.

UL
    I want to be addicted. :) :) :)
    Last edited by fish; 08-31-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Default Rod Building

Check out the Mudhole's website, http://www.mudhole.com They have any and everything you would possible need. I also recently saw that Cabelas, (of all places), sells a beginning rod building set for about $100 that includes everything you would need to get started.

I, also have the Advanced Custom Rod Building Book by Dale P. Clemens. It may be a little too advanced if you are just getting started.

If you have internet access check out the 5 - 10 minute, (free), videos you can watch on the Mudhole website. They have one on splining a blank, installing grips, reel seats, wrapping guides, etc. A picture is worth a 1,000 words when it comes to rod building; or even better have a buddy that knows how to buid rods show you.

Don't get discouraged. You'll love building rods once you get into it and it is easier than it looks. My son built his first rod at 12 years of age. He is now 28and is still fishing with it.

Wishing you much success,

BassPLS

My favorite place to purchase rod building parts. Great prices and fast shipping. Compare their pricing. You will be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.customtackle.com/cgi-bin/...65&partner=cts
    Last edited by tenderloin; 09-10-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenderloin View Post
    My favorite place to purchase rod building parts. Great prices and fast shipping. Compare their pricing. You will be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.customtackle.com/cgi-bin/...65&partner=cts
    Thanks tenderloin. I will be ordering some blanks and components very soon

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Dear all rod builders:

I want to get into building custom rods for myself and maybe for friends if I get good enough.

I have picked up a copy of Advanced Rod Building by Dale P. Clemens, which was recommended to me from a guy that I met on a charter.

There are several question that I have:

1) How much is the basic rod wrapper?

2) How much space should I have for my work station?

3) Where can I get equipment to start building rods?

Thanks to anyone willing to help me out.
    I started out with a homemade set-up (30+ years ago) like much of the previous members have posted.
    When I got a job @ a tackle shop I purchased a "Custom Power Wrap" so that I could make extra $ building custom store rods. I wouldn't build a rod without a motorized model nowdays. This rod wrapper is very expensive though and I wouldn't recommend one unless you have wrapped a couple of rods and are sure you want to continue doing so. I have wrapped everything from ultralight trout rods to all my long range tund sticks and fly rods from a 7' 2 weight to a 9' 10 weight.
    Check Angler's Workshop in WA state. They have pretty much anything/everything you may want. They also carry a number of different rod wrappers for sale. You may even get an idea for a homemade version you could build at home!

(#1) Rod wrapper prices can vary depending on the type quality and materials used.

(#2) Work station space can vary depending on how dedicated you are to the hobby. If possible, I would dedicate a room to rod building depending on what kind of rods you are building. The room should NOT have carpet or hardwood floors (carpets/hardwood floors could be ruined because of the solvents used in finishing process and the dust can be trapped in carpets and can ruin the finish).

(#3) Aside from Angler's Workshop, there is Mudhole and various fishing specialty stores, fly shops (ie Bob Marriots, Feather Craft and Madison River Fishing Co.) and manufacturers. If you need something fast, I would find yourself a establised local tackle store (Yo's Custom Rods, Art's Tackle both in Gardena are two of the saltwater specialty shops that immediately come to mind).

If you want more specifics, let me know what kind of gear you're trying to build and I might be able to be more helpful/specific.

LW (Robert)

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    I started out with a homemade set-up (30+ years ago) like much of the previous members have posted.
    When I got a job @ a tackle shop I purchased a "Custom Power Wrap" so that I could make extra $ building custom store rods. I wouldn't build a rod without a motorized model nowdays. This rod wrapper is very expensive though and I wouldn't recommend one unless you have wrapped a couple of rods and are sure you want to continue doing so. I have wrapped everything from ultralight trout rods to all my long range tund sticks and fly rods from a 7' 2 weight to a 9' 10 weight.
    Check Angler's Workshop in WA state. They have pretty much anything/everything you may want. They also carry a number of different rod wrappers for sale. You may even get an idea for a homemade version you could build at home!

(#1) Rod wrapper prices can vary depending on the type quality and materials used.

(#2) Work station space can vary depending on how dedicated you are to the hobby. If possible, I would dedicate a room to rod building depending on what kind of rods you are building. The room should NOT have carpet or hardwood floors (carpets/hardwood floors could be ruined because of the solvents used in finishing process and the dust can be trapped in carpets and can ruin the finish).

(#3) Aside from Angler's Workshop, there is Mudhole and various fishing specialty stores, fly shops (ie Bob Marriots, Feather Craft and Madison River Fishing Co.) and manufacturers. If you need something fast, I would find yourself a establised local tackle store (Yo's Custom Rods, Art's Tackle both in Gardena are two of the saltwater specialty shops that immediately come to mind).

If you want more specifics, let me know what kind of gear you're trying to build and I might be able to be more helpful/specific.

LW (Robert)

Robert thanks for all of the useful info. I am still doing my research on what kind of wrapper I might want to buy/make.

I certainly want to have a setup that can rods for offshore tuna trips.

The best manual wrapper in my opinion is the Sully's Rod Wrapper. You can find it at Angler's Workshop or Mudhole. It really puts all other manual wrapper I've seen to shame in terms of being able to reverse a wrap a few turns and still not loose tension (correcting any errors) and to leave the blank at any moment (i.e. take phone calls) and still have the wrap 'freeze' at that moment so that the blank doesn't turn backwards and loose the wrap.

UL

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Robert thanks for all of the useful info. I am still doing my research on what kind of wrapper I might want to buy/make.

I certainly want to have a setup that can rods for offshore tuna trips.
    If you want an inexpensive/entry level hand wrapper, I would suggest the Flex Coat hand wrapper. It's about $70 and you can get a power dryer for about $80 and your whole set-up should cost you about $150 (plus whatever shipping cost) which is about half the price of any powered rod wrapper. One of the most useful features is the thread tensioning device. It's the same one most power wrappers come equiped with.
    This should do until you decide whether or not a powered wrapper is cost effective.
    Fortunately tuna sticks are for the most part short (under 7'). The only shortfall with this and most hand wrappers will be if you want to wrap a longer jig stick.
    LW (Robert)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast