Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dove Opener 2009

Default Dove Opener 2009

Anyone heading out to blast the little grey jets they call dove? National average is 3 birds per box of shells (per Remington survey).
    I think I will shoot some trap this weekend to get ready for the opener.
    Be safe!!

I will be in Calexico taking 4 boxes with me. I hope to have my limit by 9:00 am.

Good luck to you Joshua.

My cousins are going, but I will be driving up to Mammoth. Should be a fun time for you dove guys though!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfish View Post
    I will be in Calexico taking 4 boxes with me. I hope to have my limit by 9:00 am.

Good luck to you Joshua.
    I am still trying to get a limit of dove from one box of shells. I have come close but havent done it yet.
    I think we are going to the range tonight and shoot some trap/skeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I am still trying to get a limit of dove from one box of shells. I have come close but havent done it yet.
    I think we are going to the range tonight and shoot some trap/skeet.
    Yeah that is a hard feat to accomplish. Last year I went 6 for 8, and then the last four birds took me two and a half boxes to complete the limit.

Went to triple B to shoot some clays. Got out there and realized I didnt have my guns. I was in such a hurry to leave that I left them in the house. Had to rent a loaner. Didnt shoot very well at all. The gun was fine, I didnt do very well.
    Gonna go back out on Sun or Monday with my Remington 1100 and see if I can do a little better.

My best is 8 birds and still 3 shells left. Then all hell breaks loose. After I go over one box of shells, I dont care if it takes another 10 boxes. I start taking shots that are way too long. I can cycle 3 shells thru an 1100 pretty quik.
    Last edited by Joshua; 08-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Last min. I am going w/ my Brother to Yuma. Should be fun. Report when I return later in the week.

Talked to my buddy Timster this afternoon. He is in Yuma and at 4 Pm it was 111* and not a cloud in the sky. He called back after scouting a bit and said there was plenty of Dove. Should be a great hunt for everyone. I always worry about a thunderstorm popping up just before the opener. Sweet !!!

Just got a report from a friend that went down near the Salton Sea. He was there before sunrise and said he didnt see much activity until the sun broke the ridgeline and warmed things up. It was cool in the morning.
    I have noticed that the mourning dove fly earlier, then you get the white wing to follow up. I prefer to wait for the white-wing. But it is diffuclt to pass up shots on birds that are in range. Make it rain lead.
    I was also told that the field I shoot was recently planted with new grapes. They plant barley along the base of the grapes to prevent erosion and the keep the new grapes from getting sand blasted. Dove love the barley. This should make for a quik limit before 7 am.

Also read that DFG has NO LIMIT on the Eurasian dove. I recommed that you check the DFG site and print out the regulations. Many of the DFG agents will be from Northern CA and they arent always up to speed on the new regulations for a species that will not impact their regular area.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Talked to my buddy Timster this afternoon. He is in Yuma and at 4 Pm it was 111* and not a cloud in the sky. He called back after scouting a bit and said there was plenty of Dove. Should be a great hunt for everyone. I always worry about a thunderstorm popping up just before the opener. Sweet !!!
    I havent shot Yuma in years. We used to shot AZ in the morning, have a dove lunch and shoot CA in the evening. I was young and didnt realize that they group I was with were breaking the law. Dove are considered a migratory bird and are under Federal regulation as well as state. You get 10 birds a day total. Not 10 in AZ and 10 in CA. 10 total.

As I aged, I stopped shooting with those guys and stopped driving to AZ. I get plenty of action near the Salton sea. PLus I shoot on private property so I dont get the large crowds.
    I will say one thing about AZ. They get a crap load of birds. I have only seen dove fly in big flocks in AZ. In CA you get 2s and 3s and occasional 5. AZ had alot of birds. Gila Bend AZ was insane.
    Be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast