Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday 8/23 Evening Session - Poachers Sighting... Are You Serious?!?

Such BS. Man I friggin hate poachers, and have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Funny how that guy was like "No camera' when he saw you. He knew he was doing something wrong and all of those idiots deserve to be tossed in jail. Anybody who has ANY sympathy for dumb***** like this is just as bad as they are.

Congrats on scoring a WSB from the surf Arthur. That's a rare accomplishment, and one I still have to achieve. Not too shabby for a 1.5hrs in the surf!

i belive cast nets are legal in so cal salt water but they have to be under 3' curcumfrance or some bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    But on the other hand, they get here illegally, they drive illegally, they work illegally.. Im sure they dont care much if they fish illegally......
    Ain't that the truth! Sad but true.
    I presume that they don't have fishing licenses either?
    Not bad for a short session Arthur, it would take me all day to catch what you did in just over an hour.

I feel you dude. There was a guy tossing a cast net yesterday at Bolsa Chica too. Good thing he sucked at it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    Boundless energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes the local police will respond and ????
    During the day, harbor patrol & lifeguards will also (sometimes) respond at least its something?????

DFG is not a good choice if you need a response.... No one home!!!!!

FYI, if you see poaching going on, contact the lifeguard or police. I've been surf fishing Huntington and had the lifeguard ask to see my license. Probably a better response than cal tip.

Great post as always nice seeing someone hook into the fish and nice wsb. especially in the surf . But all the border brothers need to be takin care of by someone and it aint going to be the DFG there a joke in california if anything the police in the area should know and enforce the laws also but Really its sad to see people doing that and with all the money we pay to get a license we sure dont see that money at work. Ive been fishing since I could remeber and love it like the rest of you guys. But ive seen people doing crap like that for years and it sucks to see nothing happen. Maybe if they put huge signs in spanish for those dummys that act like they dont know english. but wait that cost money too so dont expect any change for a while sad but true.
    SHAD MAN 09
    Last edited by SHAD MAN 09; 08-24-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Arthur,

I spoke with Carrie Wilson (DFG) and she confirmed the following:

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be used north of Point Conception to take such species.

This means the nets cannot be used south of Point Conception (Santa Barbara County) at all.

North of Pt. Conception they can only be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid

So.......... these guys were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts........ he was POACHING in more ways than one!

Good looking out Arthur........... EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!

I saw some dude snagging out there today. Trying to snag huge mullets I think. They were big ol fish. The ones that jump all around. He actually snagged and had one on the line! He was like ripping it then reeling in the slack super fast and ripping it again. He actually nailed one but it got off!

I always saw them slinging that big pyramid sinker with a treble hook above it wondering what the heck they were trying to snag. I finally saw them snag a fish today and figured it out. I don't know if that's illegal or not but I'll have to look it up. Doesn't look right or in any way voluntary on behalf of the fish.

I was saying "are you serious?!" to myself today just like you yesterday. Instead of researching to catch those fish they learn tricks to snag them involuntarily. I guess all it is to them is dinner?

Looks like you still had fun regardless of the shorties. Don't worry that's all I catch. Cool WSB too man I gotta catch one of those. Be careful mingling with those poachers. You did the right thing. No reason to fight anyways even if you have backup. You know they'll get what is coming to them. They'll catch the wrong fish one day, some nasty jellyfish or something.

You slayed stripers with Bob all day and still didn't satisfy the itch???
    The only reason that you're able to do that my friend is because you are SINGLE! I didn't see your Castaic report yet
    Poachers are everywhere and they don't care, because they know the chances of them getting caught is next to zip. But we all must do what we can, whenever we can. Can't wait for the Legends event this Saturday, see everybody there!

it just kills me that those nets are sold at the orange walmart. i detoured a guy from getting one after i told him it was illegal... nice fish as usual.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast