Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday 8/23 Evening Session - Poachers Sighting... Are You Serious?!?

Glad to see you caught a few fish making for a short but sweet trip. It looks the guys with the throw nets took a break from poaching Legg Lake yesterday evening to scout some new waters. It's become a common sight these days to see the poachers out number those who fish within limitations of the law. California has a lot of laws in place to help protect the fisheries just no one to enforce it. The DFG has no budget and is poorly managed. As a result the fisheries take the hit and anglers pay the price.. Less fish to catch and soon we will have a lot less areas left open to fish in. Of course the closed areas will continue to be hit by poachers and with the absence of fisherman in these areas there will be no one around to call DFG to file a report on the poachers.

Poachers have very little fear of being caught by enforcement which has no presence on the water. I have found poachers fall in to one of two catagories. The first being one those who poach to feed their family and friends. The second catagory being those who poach to feed their wallet. The limit laws are very generous IMO but I guess it's just not enough for some. It would be nice to see justice prevail once in a while perhaps it would help restore some of the long lost confidence in our system.

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 08-25-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Nice report, As bad as the cast netting is, i give the guy doing it props. In massachusetts i cast net (100% legal) and it is DIFFICULT! you cast it over boiling fish and you still cant get em, Its hard!! But still i know its illegal in CA so thats a bummer..

cool WSB!

That poor YFC

This net casting happens a lot on 5th Street in broad daylight

That is some bullsh*t right there. They sounded like pros to me, hopefully they'll be caught somewhere down the road. Kudos for trying to set them straight Art. Nice WSB from the surf.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post

I wished that I had the rest of the S.W.A.T. with me tonight... Mike (Bones) & Steve (Flyngby) would surely have my back when I confiscate those nets and throw the fish back into the surf.
    Do you guys have the legitimate power and jurisdiction to do that? It's good to surf legally, but is it our job to enforce that? I don't know, I could imagine if you did that someone would pull out a weapon to answer you.

Default Wingnut's response.

Quote Originally Posted by Justl1keRaven View Post
    Do you guys have the legitimate power and jurisdiction to do that? It's good to surf legally, but is it our job to enforce that? I don't know, I could imagine if you did that someone would pull out a weapon to answer you.
    Probably not... but here's a quote to keep in mind the next time you decide to turn the other cheek and not get involved.

"I used to think why didn't somebody do something...?
    Then I realized, I was that somebody."

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen... and those who don't know what's happening. Which one are you?

We can make a difference...
    Last edited by Wingnut; 08-24-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Wingnut,
    That sucks!!! (the poaching)
    It's illegal in So.Cal to use a throw net.

It wouldn't hurt to make a report to the Cal-Tip Hotline on what you saw going on.
    Hopefully they will alert their wardens as to the illegal activities happening on that certain beach.
    I bet it isn't the first time that they've poached there.

Cool WSB!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by IN2DEEP View Post
    Wingnut,

It wouldn't hurt to make a report to the Cal-Tip Hotline on what you saw going on.

Cool WSB!
    Scott
    Dude Did you even read his full post???? hah!

Yeah, the DFG man power is stretched to the limit. Even more so with all the budget cuts going on. Sad to see that kind of crap happening but people are right, it happens everyday. You tried your best bro and that's more than most would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Probably not... but here's a quote to keep in mind the next time you decide to turn another cheek and not get involved.

"I used to think why didn't somebody do something...?
    Then I realized, I was that somebody."

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen... and those who don't know what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

We can make a difference...

That is true, but just want everyone to be safe =)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast