Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday 8/23 Evening Session - Poachers Sighting... Are You Serious?!?

Default Sunday 8/23 Evening Session - Poachers Sighting... Are You Serious?!?

After spending the first half of my Sunday slaying Stripers with Bob (TroutOnly), my sister and my niece.
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...127#post381127

I decided to head out to a local spot for an evening surf session. I hit the surf from 6:30 - 8:00pm, an hour and a half of winding down time to get me ready for a new work week. Not much of a catch to post and certainly not worthy of a full report, but I have to make people aware of an incident that took place right before I left the surf tonight.

The catch of the one and a half hour surf session.
    A couple of "very" short Flatties.

A small Calico Bass.

A short White Sea Bass.

It was a very relaxing evening session until...
    It was almost eight o'clock and I started to work my way back to the car when I noticed three guys walking down to the surf at a distance. It was getting kinda dark but I can still see what they were doing. They spread out about 30 yards or so in the surf and started throwing a hand-cast net. I couldn't believe my eyes... throwing these net into the surf and dragging it back to the beach. Then picking the fish out of the nets and putting it in the ice chest. I watched them from a distance for several minutes, to make sure that I really am seeing what I'm seeing. Yup, that's exactly what they were doing... My initial emotion was one of anger, I was downright pissed. I took a moment to calm down and analyzed the situation to see how I was going to handle this. Let's see... three of them... one of me. Maybe they don't know what they are doing is illegal... yeah right, that's why they snuck down here when the sun is going down and when hardly anybody is around. Maybe they are working for the DFG and collecting fish specimen in the area... probably not.

In any case... I said to myself, "Arthur, no need to hate... just try to educate."

I walked up the guy closest to me and took a pic as he was throwing... he looked at me and started dragging the net towards the beach. Unfazed with the fact that somebody was watching him now, he proudly showed me his catch in the net proceeded to empty it out. Which had two BSP's and a YFC in it. He threw the fish on the sand and walked back into the surf to throw the net out again.

The other two guys saw me and walked over. One of them pointed at my camera, shook his head and said, "No, no..." I put away my camera and try to communicate with them that this was "no good"... and of course they didn't speak any English. After a couple of minutes of failing to communicate, frustrated... I walked back to my car, knowing damn well that they did understand some, if not most of what I was trying to say. I have no doubt that they knew what they were doing was illegal.

I called the Cal-Tip Hotline (888) 334-2258, followed the automated prompts and after a lengthy hold time... this was the conversation.

Operator: Would you like to file a violation report...?"
    Wingnut: Yes, but can I ask you a question first?
    Operator: This is not an information line sir.
    Wingnut: I just want to confirm if something is illegal before I file a complaint.
    Operator: Then you should call the DFG first before calling us.
    Wingnut: Uh... okay, if I file a complaint with you, how do you know if the activity is even illegal...?
    Operator: I don't, your report will go to the department that will determine that... what county did the violation take place?
    Wingnut: Los Angeles.
    Operator: Please hold...

I was placed on hold for a very long time and nobody picked up. Called back the second time and was disconnected while on hold. Called back one more time and was put on perpetual hold again...
    Sometimes, it's hard to do the right thing.

I wished that I had the rest of the S.W.A.T. with me tonight... Mike (Bones) & Steve (Flyngby) would surely have my back when I confiscate those nets and throw the fish back into the surf.

Anyways... hope your surf sessions was more enjoyable than mine this weekend. Remember to be true to others... and most of all, to yourself.

Keep in mind that in life, we're all in the race together... the "Human Race."

Arthur (Wingnut)

"I would rather live my life believing that there is a God, and die to find out that there isn't one. Than to live my life like there was no God, and die to find out that there is one..."

Parting shot.
    Blast to the Past.
    Who is this Puppy?
    Last edited by Wingnut; 08-24-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections...

Wow...i have never seen anything like that..I hope they step on a sting ray!

Exclamation

Nice report Arthur!... always cool getting a WSB from the surf!

I need to research the DFG reg a little closer........ but here's a bit of what is says in regards to the cast net........

28.80. Dip Nets and Hawaiian Type Throw Nets. Dip nets of any size and baited hoop nets not greater than 36 inches in diameter may be used to take herring, Pacific staghorn sculpin, shiner surfperch, surf smelt, topsmelt, anchovies, shrimp and squid. Hawaiian type throw nets may be
    used north of Point Conception to take such species.

So.......... Im thinking they were certainly SOUTH of Point Conception..... and uh, unless that guy throwing the cast net has his sportfishing license pinned to the front of his shorts...... they were more than likely POACHING.

Good looking out Arthur........... and EVERYONE SHOULD REPORT POACHERS!

First, where do you even get the energy to go surf fishing after striper pillaging with TO all day???

Secondly: nice catch on the WSB!

Last, as far as the poaching is concerned: you did what you could, which is to try and call CalTip. We all know California's government is broken right now...perhaps the day will come when DFG will be properly funded. Until then, you try to politely educate, and if that don't work, you try to call DFG.

I share your aggravation, even if it is a BSP being poached.

P.S. I like your reference to Pascal's Gambit.
    Last edited by sansou; 08-24-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Arthur, Nice going on that white Seabass.

You did what you could being alone. Thats something.

Thanks for sharing .

I would rather live my life believing that there is a God, and die to find out that there isn't one. Than to live my life like there was no God, and die to find out that there is one..."

Me too

You are an animal Arthur, that is a serious day of fishing for a Sunday....nice job on the surf variety pack and tryin to get the illegal nets out of the surf. Hope one of those guys stepped on a stingray er sumthing!

TD

I think that was victor101 in the pic Jk. ha ha... I cant believe they were doing that, whens the DFG when you need them. Thanks for the report.

Boundless energy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going out on a limb here??
    Probably illegals..
    I have seen them at dusk in Cabo several times in the evening, walking the surf, throwing throw nets (which isnt an easy task for the average guy, try it!! LMAO)..
    Its whats for dinner!!!!
    They probably have no clue something so basic to them would be illegal...
    No excuse for not knowing the Regs in Calif...

But on the other hand, they get here illegally, they drive illegally, they work illegally.. Im sure they dont care much if they fish illegally......

Sometimes the local police will respond and ????
    During the day, harbor patrol & lifeguards will also (sometimes) respond at least its something?????

DFG is not a good choice if you need a response.... No one home!!!!!

Dont forget, this goes on every single day, in many different ways, at 'every' body of water..
    Many are locals who do it.... Almost all know it wrong - illegall...
    The damage is Exponential and devastating to our fisheries........

Great job Arthur! Sometimes doing the right thing is not the easiest way out. I guess that is what separates the people who know the right thing and those who DO the right thing. I am proud to be a part of this team!!

Come on now... This is Southern California!! This crap happens all day everyday. Its unfortunate but true. I feel your pain Wingnut.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast