Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking to THE Golden Trout Lake...

Default Backpacking to THE Golden Trout Lake...

This report is about 1 1/2 weeks old. Just got the pictures. This was a 54 mile roundtrip backpacking trip. Started from Horseshoe Meadows in Lone Pine area. Did it in 3 1/2 days. Don't want to mention the lake because last time it was mentioned and it got so many hits, it got locked. Many of you know where this is,so I will leave it at that.

The biggest we were able to catch was 17 inches. I heard from a ranger a 24 incher was caught not too long ago.Hopfully the pictures came out. We only caught enough to eat. Would love to have continued fishing, but these trout like to swollow what ever bait you throw at them. They were great fighters. I had to take it very slow since I was using a 2 lb line. The action was xint. Once you found the right hole to throw your line in, it was non stop. It was one of those trips I got to check off from the to do list before I die.

Next three pics are of me holding a very nice Golden.

This was one of the best tasting trout I have ever had. (My brother the cook)

I just had to....

Here are some pictures from that area.

Nice fish!

A backpacking trip up to Golden Trout country is one of those things I must do!

those are HUGE!!!!! wtg dude

Epic.....someday I'll make it back there.

And anyone thinking about bashing him for keeping a fish for dinner can just cool off - you hike 54 miles, eat a fish and let the rest go.
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 08-21-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Absolutely my sentiments - 54 miles, few visitors, lots of fish - no problem eating some. Beautiful fish!

UL

Bet that was an awesome dinner, hope to enjoy it one day myself. Congrats on completing a 54mi hike and enjoying the rewards!

Absolutely beautiful golden there dude and quite large as well. About 10 years ago they opened the cottonwood lakes to fisherman. We tried to do a day hike to fish the area and started in the parking lot at horseshoe but the parking lot sits at 10,000 ft and the hike in was an elevation gain of about 2500 ft (2 1/2 miles) The two guys I was hiking with were in horrible shape and they both had altitude sickness at the first lake (They couldn't even fish). Needless to say we only made it to the first lake but it was still fun(For Me). I caught a few small goldens but I had to get both of my buddies down the hill ASAP !!
    I'm not sure where you were fishing but that hike was a killer and I had just finished the LA marathon a few months earlier....LOL
    That area is definately beautiful but you have to be in pretty good shape to handle the hike.
    Congrats to ya for sure!

I never start a backpacking trip until I get acclimated to the elevation. The first night we got to Lone Pine, we camped at Whitney Portal. Early next morning we started the hike.

AWESOME pics, I envy the fact you made that trip....I must make that trek before I punch my final time card. Thanks for sharing your adventure here on FNN!

Did you bait fish or primarily throw lures etc? Thanks for your feedback.

TD

So sweet! Nice fish. I've got to backpack in someday. This post just makes me want to do it more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast