Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Sabiki Rigs?

Default Making Sabiki Rigs?

anyone here make their own sabiki rigs?

If so, what knot(s) do you use?

can they be tied one palomar knot to the next or do you need some line off of each dropper?

appreciate any insight.

interesting question.. a bunch of palomar knots sounds like a good idea.. or a bunch of dropper loops?

but they are so cheap sometimes, why make it? i've seen them go for like $1 a piece at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    interesting question.. a bunch of palomar knots sounds like a good idea.. or a bunch of dropper loops?

but they are so cheap sometimes, why make it? i've seen them go for like $1 a piece at Walmart
    taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own. also thought they might tangle less with just knots.

I think we'll try the dropper loop set-up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own. also thought they might tangle less with just knots.

I think we'll try the dropper loop set-up. Thanks.
    sounds like a great idea! what are you going to use for the "bait", just tying yarn onto it? just wondering.. maybe add some of those tiny beads?

I tie my own, but I only use 3 hooks at a time max cause once you swing them on the pier and leave them flopping around, they tangle very easily. I use a bunch of palomars or dropper loops. Just depends on how heavy the line is. I use beads, and as flashers, I use colored foil or sequins.

Speaking of sabikis, I just bought a bunch of size 26 dry fly hoooks that I need to make a rig out of.

To store them, I use a 5"x6" piece of carboard with slits on opposite sides. Try it out, saves a ton of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    sounds like a great idea! what are you going to use for the "bait", just tying yarn onto it? just wondering.. maybe add some of those tiny beads?
    bead heads and I'll let my girls pick between pearl flash and assorted shiney stuff.

Surgeon's knot or Spider hitch (cut) or Dropper Loop (cut), some red yarn and/or foil. Snell the hooks on.

...or just buy them for a $1 or so a piece!

To much work go get the cheaper ones for a buck add a piece of small squid shrimp or mussel for insurance if they are picky. I like to use a heavy weight so when you have a few fish on there esp with Macks the line stays tight and there is less tangles then if you are using a light weight. Bring a small knife so you can take the fish off using the back of the knife IMO way better then pliers for the small hooks. If you want to catch smelt for bait chum bread use the smallest Sabiki hooks you can find i like to use the ones with no beads or you can break em off cut tiny pieces of squid and put on all the hooks then you have halis favorite food.

Good luck,,

Bigred

I'd have to agree about buying them for a buck each. The work and materials, you might be able to save a few cents.

If you want to build something, a sabiki rod is the way to go. I'm planning one right now. I hate that sabiki flopping around in the rod holders on the boat. Pretty cool, you just wind it straight into the rod and the weight seats into the tip of the rod.

i think some of you missed this the post that said.

"taking the family to san j capistrano next weekend. thought about hitting the pier and figured it might be fun for the kids to tie their own."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast