Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster just outside Newport Harbor.

Default Monster just outside Newport Harbor.

On monday june 25th, my friend Justin and I got a late start at about 3.30, launching our kayaks out of the coast guard station in NPH. Our plan was to hit up the kelp bed just south of the harbor mouth.

As we got to the open ocean we noticed plenty of baitfish schooling around us and i tied on a bright green/clear Rapala X-rap to troll on our paddle to the kelp.

About 3/4 the way (approx. 4.15pm) my lure gets slammed. At first i think i may actually just be hung up on a hidden kelp stalk but i feel some kicking and i know im on a fish.

4 hours later and im still fighting! This was easily the biggest fish i've felt on the end of the pole and it was 4 hours of tug of war using a medium action bass rod and 10lb flouro. 4 hours may seem rediculous, but i was powering this fish as much as humanly possible without breaking my line and it just when it began to feel like it was tiring out, it would take off again.

The fight was basically a vertical one. when it ran, it felt like it was diving down, or with very little lateral movement. at times it felt like i was reeling up a dead body or something, then it would take off. after 2.5 hours of this, i was basically screaming for mercy but i kept going.

During the daylight hours, i couldnt manage to bring it to color at all. then the sun went down and it was pretty scary knowing we were gonna try to land whatever this was in the dark.

Finally i could tell it was really close, and it mustve got a glimpse of my boat because it took off FAST, shot around the bow and my line snapped. 4 hours of fighting and not even a remote idea of what it was. one of the emptiest, most dissapointing feelings ever. i'm no expert and still really new to kayak fishing, but i did my best on some very light tackle for a monster this size.

I'm posting here for some insight or ideas as to what it could've been. i've thought of every scenario but i just don't know. We met another yakker out there fishing named Mike or Matt who seemed convinced it was a shark. I'm not sure what to think. Thanks for any help.

-Blake

Probably a Bat Ray :lol:

i was afraid of that and kind of just telling myself it wasnt a bat ray. ive caught a couple before and snagged a huge one on accident, and the fight didnt feel anything like what i felt out there. i guess it could have just been much much bigger.

i feel kinda let down. damn.

OMFG dude that sucks so bad.

I would probaly break down and cry after fighting a fish for 4 hours and then loosing it right b-4 it got to the boat.

well now you know better to bring some heavy line and a stronger rod.

because you never know what you are gonna get when fishing in the sea

Bat ray? Hmmm... I find it strange that bat ray would hit a lure like that. I've never heard of anything like that. Although, it does sound like a bat ray type of fight. Sorry about the loss man. And watch out for the use of "fothermucker" here - I don't know if the admins like that kind of talk :lol: :lol: :lol:

Likely a bat ray but they have got some big WSB just outside Newport Harbor recently so who knows...I'm not sure if that would make you feel better thinking it was a big WSB or make you feel worse thinking that you lost a big WSB.

4 hour fight? Dam!

SEA LION HAHAHA JK

SEA LION HAHAHA JK

It makes a great fish stories for the camp fire this summer hahahahaha.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast