Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illegal things that go on at legg(info)

Default Illegal things that go on at legg(info)

The only reason theres more small fish than big fish is people using trout,bluegills,and other small bass and catching the big bass and taking them home the enviroment has absolutly nothing to do with this problem at legg its a strictly poacher problem legg its actually not that small the south lake has more than enough room to sustain a big population of bass up till a few years ago thats how it was,How would you see data if your never there and dont see the things that are going on im there almost everyday ive seen first hand what kind of damage the lake has taken.

THINGS GOING ON AT LEGG SO PEOPLE COULD UNDERSTAND
    1.Unlike other lakes poachers dont care about any rules of size and weight they take strictly (ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING) including ducks and turtles.

2.people using trout,bluegill,babybass,goldfish,and tilapia they buy live at the fish market for bait.

3.people walking around with ocean rods and 80 # braid and a 5/0 treble hook ready to snag whatever touches shore.

4.Packs of people throwing 6 or 7 home made rigs with plastic bottles and cans using gamefish as bait.

5.50% of the people fishing legg never even seen or know what a fishing license is.

6.people taking limitless ammounts of any type of fish for example BUCKETS FULL OF BLUEGILLS,ALL THE BASS THEY CAN CATCH AND TRUST ME WITH LIVE BAIT ITS NOT THAT HARD TO BAG A BUNCH OF BASS IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME,SENDING THE WIFE ON TRIPS TO THE CAR TO HIDE FISH IN COOLERS IN THE TRUNKS OF THEIR CARS,IVE PERSONALY SEEN ALL THIS HAPPENED AT LEGG ON A EVERYDAY BASIS.

7.People using nets and scooping out buckets of fry and small fish saying its for there fish tank at home.

8.People acting like they cant understand english when your trying to educate them about catch and release.

9.Local police dont know and dont give a dam about any fishing regulations or infractions.

10.Ive actually been attacked at legg before ive had poachers swing there carp rods at me,And even been told(I WAS GONNA GET SHOT) and yes a police report was made.

So as you can see this has been a on going battle for me and the leggulars that witness all the things that go on at legg hopefully now everyone has a better idea of what really goes on behind closed doors at the legg.

LAST YEAR I TRIED TO PUT UP SIGNS TO CATCH AND RELEASE THE BASS AND YES I DID TALK TO OUR LOCAL DFG (DON NELSON LOCAL WARDEN) AND HE SAID HE WAS FINE WITH THE IDEA HE TOLD ME IT WAS REALLY UP TO THE PARK TO MAKE THE DECISION UNFORTUNATLY THE PEOPLE THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO HELP DIDNT TAKE THE IDEA SERIOUSLY AND I COULDNT DO EVERYTHING MYSELF.I REALLY BELEIVE THE PARK DOESNT EVEN KNOW ALL THIS THINGS ARE HAPPENING BUT IM GOING TO TAKE ACTION AND INFORM THEM EVERYTHING.I REALLY HOPE PEOPLE HAVE A BETTER IDEA OF WHATS GOING ON FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS LIVED AND SEEN IT HAPPENED AND HOPEFULLY ILL HAVE THE SUPPORT OF MY FELLOW FISHERMAN THANKS.

PS.I WOULD REALLY APRECIATE IF THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO SUPPORT ME AND THE LEGG TO MAKE A CHANGE PLEASE EMAIL MR.DON NELSON (DFG) AT dnelson@dfg.ca.gov AND EXPLAIN THAT A CHANGE AT LEGG NEEDS TO BE DONE.

Vent...and agree.

Thats so messed up, it makes me want to go down and beat someones ***!! I dont understand why DFG doesnt do something? Sounds like your doing all you can, must be frustrating for you to see that behavior. Im not sure where that lake is as Im in Orange County but if it was close I would go buy a security outfit and start enforcing your own laws..

Sad thing is it goes on at allot of our local lakes, big and small. Just not enough DFG officers to go around, and with deep budget cuts there isn't much help coming anytime soon.

Good luck Jbassc, at least you care enough to try and make a difference, I'll send an email for what it's worth.

i've only been fishing there for 1.5 yrs, and i've witness all of those things that you listed, jbassc.

email sent.

I was there to see all the things that JBassC has mentioned go down. The place has and continues to get raped by poachers daily. These people have been made well aware of the laws yet they show no concern for obeying it.

People unfamilar with the situation are quick to say "yeah all the Leggulars just need to call Caltip..."
    Yeah well the Leggulars have been calling Caltip for years at times everyday for weeks. It's not the DFGs fault that they can't do a damn thing about it. As mentioned above they are not provided with the resources to enforce the laws and regulations to any degree or level that would be considered even some what reasonable. The poachers know this which is why they show no fear or hesitation in breaking the law.

They have tried to get local law enforcement involved which has resulted in a few tickets however local law enforcement is unaware of the laws involving fishing regulations. Most of local law enforcment would have a hard time even identifying the fish. They do not seem to be very willing to enforce laws that they are unfamiliar with or don't understand. Sometimes they write tickets for fishing with out a license but that is about extent of it.

The Leggulars have been left with few options other than taking things in to their own hands to try saving the few fish remaining in the lake from the Poachers. This has led to confrontations between Poachers and those who fish responsibly.

It will take around the clock enforcement to catch all the poachers and continued enforcement moving forward. That is what it would take to resolve the problem. Then may be the fishery will have a chance to rebound. The fishing there used to be a lot better then it is now..

JerryG
    Last edited by jerryG; 08-01-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Just a suggestion guys. I feel for your concern.
    Has anyone thought of starting a volunteer group that would dedicate itself to the promotion of the lake? Are the business merchants in the area aware of the business that might or has been lost due to what I'm sure has been lower visitation by recreational users like yourselves.
    The best example of a volunteer group that I know of is "The Friends of Castaic Lake". I remember a time when the lagoon was starting to go the same way as your lake. This group took an active role in promoting the lake's activities (ie. Moonlight fishing, float tube derby and various Bass Tournaments) along with L.A. County Parks and Rec.
    I'm not aware if your lake still has a viable Bass population to promote successful tournaments, but from what it sounds like it may already be too late. If local business' understand the potential loss of revenue they might be willing to also support more intervention in the problems of the Lake.
    Just my
    Best of Luck out there...another concerned angler.
    LW

btw: someone refered to buying his own security outfit and patroling the lake...FYI even DFG Wardens have been shot at in the Sierra's by poachers (I was told this by one of the regional Wardens). I'm sure Officer Nelson can confirm that for you.
    Again a concerned fellow angler.
    Last edited by Liteweight; 08-01-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryG View Post
    I was there to see all the things that JBassC has mentioned go down. The place has and continues to get raped by poachers daily. These people have been made well aware of the laws yet they show no concern for obeying it.

People unfamilar with the situation are quick to say "yeah all the Leggulars just need to call Caltip..."
    Yeah well the Leggulars have been calling Caltip for years at times everyday for weeks. It's not the DFGs fault that they can't do a damn thing about it. As mentioned above they are not provided with the resources to enforce the laws and regulations to any degree or level that would be considered even some what reasonable. The poachers know this which is why they show no fear or hesitation in breaking the law.

They have tried to get local law enforcement involved which has resulted in a few tickets however local law enforcement is unaware of the laws involving fishing regulations. Most of local law enforcment would have a hard time even identifying the fish. They do not seem to be very willing to enforce laws that they are unfamiliar with or don't understand. Sometimes they write tickets for fishing with out a license but that is about extent of it.

The Leggulars have been left with few options other than taking things in to their own hands to try saving the few fish remaining in the lake from the Poachers. This has led to confrontations between Poachers and those who fish responsibly.

It will take around the clock enforcement to catch all the poachers and continued enforcement moving forward. That is what it would take to resolve the problem. Then may be the fishery will have a chance to rebound. The fishing there used to be a lot better then it is now..

JerryG

Jerry im starting the movement from last year again about putting up signs and talking to the park and trying to make the park c&r just like ralph.b.clark this time im imforming all my fellow fisherman and asking for there help SO PLEASE GUYS IF YOU GUYS WANT TO HELP SEND THOSE EMAILS AND IM SHURE A CHANGE IS IN THE NEAR FUTURE THANKS I WILL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED OF WHATS GOING ON.

PS.JERRY CALL ME I NEED TO TALK TO YOU.

Default dude wtf

poachers at a public lake,thats fn insane and no one cares?!i support ya 100%

So what u r saying is that I can't use goldfish.....dangit...I was doing so good.....& ur also saying that I can't use my 7up bottles? man...talk about raining on my parade....j/k hahahaha

I know ur pain man...I see it all the time....you know I watch all these fishing shows on my new WFN network and I see all these hogs being caught and I just wish we had a fishery out here...but alas...poachers....GRRRR!!!!

I suck at freshwater fishing anywayz.....been to Irvine and Corona and here and there...total count....3 trout...hahahhaha

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast