Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Golden Caught

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonlakes View Post
    This is a fabulous fish. There is a lot I could say regarding the C&R vs keeping the fish. This fish is a world record in the 4 pound and 6 pound line class. It will live forever in the stories of the angler and those who hear about it. The fish was probably getting close to its natural death. How many smaller fish did not achieve adulthood becuase of this fish? On the other hand, there is a lot of respect for a fish like this and a proper release might have been appropriate. I think the angler could have regrets with either decision. The question that none of us can really answer is "what we would have done". You can read the stories that are being posted all over the internet and hear about the many attempts and hardships to achieve this fish. If in the same shoes, and at that moment the fish is in your hands, would you let it go? Potential record, life long pursuit, ability to live with the fish on the wall for the rest of your life, sharing it with others, passing it on to generations, that is a lot to think about while holding a fish like that. From what the stories say, he releases 99.9% of his fish. I understand why he kept it, what it means to him as an angler, and what it represents to his passion and journey. It is more than just a fish. I am thankful I got to read about this and live the experience via articles.
    Ditto!!!

I've been a C&R advocate since I took up Fly Fishing 40 years ago. Even more so when I joined FFF (Federation of Fly Fisherman...for those who are not familiar with this organization) and visited Montana for the first time in the early '70's. It is there that I learned that C&R works.

However, from what I understand of the life cycle of the golden trout, this specimen was in all probability in it's last year or two of life. It is only because of that, I myself would not be upset at anyone in this situation. I get more upset @ anglers' (I use that term very loosely) that keep fish in waters specified as C&R only, areas out of season or over limits and I have reported more of these instances three-fold in the last couple of years.

This is one VERY RARE occasion where I have no criticism.
    IMO, I applaud this angler's acomplishment.
    LW

He releases most of his fish, and like others have said, I would believe this fish was close to his natural death. I'm happy for him that he caught the fish, and will be able to enjoy it for years to come. Nice fish!

There should be quite a few of similar size there still.

anyone see the article in western out doors about this?

Default WONews

It was a great story. Some fabulous pictures. What a fish.

Default Here is a photo from WONews

Damn.........I try to tell my buddies. Backpacking is the way...... Props to the guy who did an iron man marathon for the fish.

Wow! What a beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing the story. Cindy

Default Here is the link to the article in WOnews

i would like to see a picture of all the trout on his wall now that it is complete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12