Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids lagoon

Default Kids lagoon

Hi everyone, This is my first post after becoming a member in 2003. Absolutely love fishing but dont get out much anymore (yes, Im a registered lurker!)...So thanks for all your posts, as I can live through your stories.
    Well kids are old enough to start fishing now (ages 3,5,7) so its on! I am planning to take the kids to Irvine tomm. and was wondering if anyone has fished the kids lagoon this week and how it was. I read there was an algae bloom last week in the report section and fishing was only fair.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

I was hoping to go with my kids too....it seemed like they stocked both the main lake and the lagoon two weeks ago. Anyone fish the lagoon lately?

Your best bet is shrimp or mac for cats or nightcrawlers for cats or bluegill. I recommend nightcrawlers as anything in there will hit it! Good Luck!

_Bullets

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Gonna try our luck Thursday and see what happens.

BTW when there is an algae bloom, how long does it usually last? I understand there are different variables that can alter duration, however when it subsides does the bite pick up immediately after?

Again thanks for all the info!

If you don't get a bite in 40 min. move to another spot. Mackerel and shrimp are great baits . I agree will Bullets Full about the night crawlers. Sometimes its just good to have them .

You might want to bring some lighter gear for the Crappie. Using jigs from shore you should get some. Cast out to where the shad are jumping at the surface next to the road that goes out to trout Island.

Hope this helps

I would try fishing the area next to the left of the waterfall where the lagoon is less choked by the weeds etc. Do not use any weight and simply flyline your mack and you should be on the kittys no problem. Good luck!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    I would try fishing the area next to the left of the waterfall where the lagoon is less choked by the weeds etc. Do not use any weight and simply flyline your mack and you should be on the kittys no problem. Good luck!

TD
    Listen to TD he's your late nite Vine expert.........

Quote Originally Posted by saintarv View Post
    Listen to TD he's your late nite Vine expert.........

Late night yeah(insomnia sux), expert prolly not

See you at the lake,

TD

Hey guys, thanks again for the advice! Arrived with the kids at around 9:30am Thursday. Bought pre-packed slimey shrimp from Ralph's (I had to tell them I was using it for bait, the cashier asked if I really wanted it!) But I took your advice and got some night crawlers at the tackle shop. Made sense that we could attract different species.

The area by the waterfall was taken and the area by the road was a little steep for the kids and their chairs, the only open flat spot was left of the boat launch ramp (err it looked like a small one?)

Well I baited up my 3 year olds pole first and threw it in for him, the proceded to thread/inflate a nightcrawler for my 5 y/o, before I was finished the 3 y/o is screaming "I got a fish!" He pulls in his first catfish. (not huge by any means, but he was extremely excited!)

Keeping it short, each kid caught at least 2 catfish and asst. baby bass (I think) and bluegill. We didnt keep anything. But at least showed them what bass looked like and why we need to release. So they wanted to release everything. I didnt catch a thing, but best time fishing yet! Too busy playing deckhand!

So stayed from 9:30am-1pm
    approx 6-8 stocker size cats and 7+ bluegill/bass extremely small
    Threaded/inflated nightcrawlers, w/ 8"-10" leader, 1/8oz egg weight and carolina keeper size 10 hook
    kids had 4lb or 6lb line

Again thanks again for info! Made it in my opinion an EPIC day!

AWSOME...glad to hear the day was a success, thanks for the follow up report!

TD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast