Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sol rerepaint

dam dude that looks pretty sick. Its time for me to start learning how to work on reels like that i bearly know how to do anything hahaha.

Man those ceramic bearings are like magic! Those were definitely a noticeable upgrade without a doubt.
    I can cast 1/4oz across my yard effortlessly with the flick of my wrist. Had to put it on the smaller rod and do some practice casting at the mat. If I did put a lighter spool on casting would be crazy far!

pretty sweet bro!

Tacklejunkie your Gold Carrot Stix, what length & action? I have the 6'10" MH & it feel more like a medium like it's more for cranks. How do you like the Gold Carrot Stix?

Thanks

Mine is a 7' medium moderate 1/4-5/8oz 21CRG701M-M-C

Nice for light big hammers and lucky craft flash minnow 110 or pointer 78 SP. Haven't lost a fish do to thin hooks on it yet but have not used it much just yet cause I'm playing with heavier techniques at the moment I guess..

Feels pretty good! I mostly will be using it for halibut and spotties with mono because it's a 7 footer and I can get distance with it inshore with all my "heavier" saltwater artificial lures.

Next time I hit the surf it'll be my go to rod. Caught a spottie and a largemouth on it with big hammers and pointer 78 respectively and things went perfectly as planned for C,P&R

I mainly like to use my 6' GL2 medium fast for jerks and light cranks in the fresh with this reel though. The Sol is double timing between the two rods.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-22-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Damn too late. Purple would've been SICK!

Dig the silver anyway. It's a wannabe Pixilla.

Dam, Im impressed to say the least!!! Good job, looks sweet..

Ceramic bearings are the BOMB!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    Dig the silver anyway. It's a wannabe Pixilla.
    That's what I was thinking! It just needs a TDZ levelwind, maybe the worm gear bearing upgrade, and it would be perfect.

TJ, that helicopter fade's looks really good. Something like that or a more extreme splatter on a reel would look legit. Like black background with green splatter, or blue background with black splatter.

If you ever wanted some really durable anodizing jobs, check out the aftermarket paintball industry. They are designed for paintball guns, but they will do anything that is aluminum.

Every time I paint anything I learn a little more.

The main thing I have to try and remember while painting is "Less is more".

When I try to make it nicer and nicer, I over do it and ruin it.

I'm not that good at it.

I thought of all kinds of cool possible paint patterns after doing this one like white reel with red metallic spatter etc.

If this paint job chips off after a while, I'll sand it down and do it again. Only this time I might enlist the help of a stripping agent to help save some of the plastic that is being worn down during sanding of the left side plate.

The paint I used this time was simply primer. Sometimes you will hear of primer being called purple. In a way, in the right angle of light, the background on this reel almost does look purple.

Also, I did the whole thing with rattle cans again so I couldn't get too big/detailed with the spatter my first try. Next time I will do the spatter with a toothbrush by flicking paint off the bristles instead of shooting it unevenly on purpose from the rattle can.

I'm sure I'll do it again off season or so after a bit of boat rash. Will update on how the paint holds out after a few months. It would look sweet if I anodized the frame black with the "moon dust" paint job and put a black carbon handle.

It came out kinda weird but there is always next time. I'm just glad to have it back together.

Oh yeah I did try to find that bearing for the levelwind too in my heli parts stash but don't think I have one that size on hand. I'll bring the bushing with me down to the hobby shop next time and ask if they have a bearing that size.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-23-2009 at 09:44 AM.

u wana paint my curado? lolz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast