Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my project

Quote Originally Posted by fullstringer View Post
    Hey Jimmy, the four on the motor means it's a four cylinder,still looking for the wiring diagram.

Joe
    I found the wiring diagram online.
    I also found out my error in the four.
    Thanks

Default Update

Bought a battery and replaced the battery hook ups.
    Nothing. So I think the solenoid or starter might be bad or just need a good cleaning. I need to get the water impeller or water pump (the rubber thing that circulates water to cool engine) but don't have a part number.
    I will also remove and clean all electrical points on the outboard hope this will make it a turnkey operation.
    With some luck I might just make it out on the water before summers end.

On a side note how long should I wait to register and transfer of ownership?
    Its been 2 weeks since I got the boat today Saturday.

first go to west marine and get a seloc book and read it. i did what you did just jump in with out any info and it cost me. twice once by newport boats and second by buying new parts for my screw up and for newport boats screw up. but now i do all my own work and servicing when you get your book go to where it shows you how to change the impeller and fill it with oil. then clean all your grounds real good and finally go to IBOATS.com and do a search on how to start a sleeping engine and another one on how to link and sink. i learned alot by asking Q's on IBOATS i even had a guy on there willing to walk me through a long trouble shooting test via email on a Saturday. i order all my parts from a mercury parts dealer in san dimas. i think its pro boats (909 599-0531) he was the cheapest on parts, there right down the street from puddingstone. and the guy there is cool as hell, willing to answer all your questions and give you advise on how to install your parts. in the end you will have no problems fixing your own engine

UPDATE:

Well like Ice Cube said, "today was a good day".
    Got up early for a Sunday, tinkered on the outboard for a bit.
    Right around 9:00 we have a working "turn key" motorboat.
    The outboard worked perfectly. Every thing looked in order. No leaks, smooth operation. I ordered an impeller from Iboats.com and as soon as it gets here I will try her on the water. Any suggestions? Remember I am on a budget.
    I began to wash the boat and started to clay it.
    Wow big difference from the way it was to this step. Got too hot to continue so I only did half the boat.
    Tomorrow I plan on claying the rest of the boat. Maybe even try to buff it with some compound and wax it

So now I just need a few things to be ready for water.
    Impeller - on order
    Lights for trailer - will buy at Harbor Freight set only $40.00
    Get some safety equipment - eventually between now and ocean time
    Buy some life vests - looking for a good deal on 4 or so
    Buy some flairs - later this week
    Register boat and trailer in my name - later this week
    Buy a marine radio - yes I plan on taking it out for yellotail
    Get a GPS/Fish finder - dont know when again looking for a great deal

Eventually I will paint it and see if I still have it, in the paint department. Been over 10 years since I painted a vehicle and 15 since I airbrushed.
    Manufacture some nice compartments, rod holders, live/bait tank, floor and new seats. Also a radio and speakers gotta have the tunes.

Am I forgetting anything

Default where to go?

Ok since this project is putting along, I have to begin to look for a cheap spot to try her out. Any suggestions on the cheapest place to launch? I live in Wilmington and don't mind a drive.

I am planing on taking a friend "just in case" maybe even meet with one of the other members of this board can suggest when and where to go. Again just in case.
    I don't have a trolling motor due to fund restrictions. So if I had to paddle back to the launch would suck bigtime. So meeting with another member would be awesome I got the first round and carne asada tacos as incentive.

Suggestions anyone?

New update:

Turns out the boat is registered till the end of the year. Yay saved me some $$ on that one. Registered the boat but the trailer is a diffrent issue.
    The DMV has no record of it. WTH! So after paying $43.00 I still have to bring it in and have them look to make sure the serial # on the pink slip is the same on the trailer. Looks like its back to the DMV for me on Monday AM.

you might want to run the motor in a 50gal drum to make sure impeller is running properly after you install it.then take it out to the water,since you live in wilmington try launching it out of cabrillo beach.

I plan on launching the boat as soon as I get some things straightened out (DMV) with the trailer. I don't need a ticket.
    I will keep you guys updated on my ordeal.

I don't think Mercury made a 4 stroke in that year. Try looking for a Chilton manuel for that Engine! Go to Mercury Outboards.com, they may be able to go back that far. As stated in prior posts, if your a newbie don't mess with it, let a pro take over, it might be high dollar in the beginning, but it will save you money in the longrun.

Default another forum

You may be able to find some info hear

http://www.thehulltruth.com/a1outboard-services-45/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast