Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my project

Default Help with my project

I just bought a 1961 Horizon boat. It has a Mercury 650, 65HP 4 stroke?

My problem is the boat had been garaged since 1980 and I am looking for a manual on the engine so I can get it working. The engine was last running over 10 years ago and I was told it ran perfectly.

I opened the shroud and it looked really clean not what I expected.

Does anyone know where I can download a manual for the old Mercury?

I tried google and bing search, but nothing that came up is what I am looking for.

Even though I know nothing about boats, I want to do this myself and welcome any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5246 copy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	13995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5247 copy.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	13996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5248 copy.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	13997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5249 copy.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	13998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5250 copy.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	13999  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5251 copy.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	14000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5252 copy.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	14001  

I would try contacting Mercury and see if they can help you.

I dont think you have a 4 stroke.
    Try google under outboards. Thats is how I found manuals for all my motors.

four cylinders.

that bad boy is a TWO STROKE ... YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK HERE FOR A MANUALS ... http://chilton.cengage.com/products/seloc_mm.aspx
    ... good luck with the project

Hey thanks guys I appreciate the help.
    I found out the outboard is a 1967 Mercury 650 but still not sure which model it is. I will keep looking.
    Is there any place online with PDF. or diagram files on how to hook up the engine as it is only clamped on for now and all the wires, throttle etc are not hooked up.

The owner at Johns Custom Marine in Stanton knows all about the Mercurys (aka Force, Chrysler etc at one time) Even if you don't take yor boat there I am sure he can offer up some info.

It is a 65hp Mercury 2 Stroke. Any mercury mechanic can order you a manual for it. You wont get a manual for this exact motor but will be for this year range and sizes. Parts may be a little more difficult to get and this may be your biggest obstacle. If you know nothing about boats, I would really recommend you having someone go through it thoroughly and get it up to speed. If it has sat that long, there will be all kinds of rubber gaskets and seals that you wont think to check that they will know about right away. This will avoid lots and lots of hours and failed trips to the lake trying to get the motor running. Once its up and running, it is much easier to keep running.

Try going on antiqueoutboards.com or search it up on google. That motor is definately not a 4stroke.... You have to mix gas and oil. Mercury has made that same outboard until about 1978 or Early 80's so the parts will adapt. Try taking it to a certified mechanic! Never do it yourself if u don't know what your doing. I have done that and regret doing so. I'm guessing $500 to get it running right if not a little more. I'm sure it will need: Gaskets replaced, waterpump, Carb tune or rebuilds, hoses changed, all fluids changed, spark plugs, the wiring connected,list goes on. It is definately a project,and with it being last ran in the 80's, a lot of work will need to be done. Well, keep us updated! Good luck,,,

Try looking at this forum:
    http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Do a search for answers before asking because there is a tremendous amount of info in the archives.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast