Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire in Bishop Canyon?

Default Fire in Bishop Canyon?

I'm hearing there is a fire up in Bishop Canyon, anyone got any updated info....here's to hoping the folks at Parchers are in no immediate danger, be safe up there guys!

TD

Doh! That's not good news! I hope the hills and property and the E. Sierras aren't cooking!

Must be alot of lightening in the area, CHP dispatch shows 29 reports of fires all along the Sierras.

parchers is good. they called for a mandatory evacuation but a few of us stayed back and the smok is disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy View Post
    parchers is good. they called for a mandatory evacuation but a few of us stayed back and the smok is disappearing.

That is great news, thanks for weighing in Ryguy!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    Must be alot of lightening in the area, CHP dispatch shows 29 reports of fires all along the Sierras.
    Lightning strikes should be allowed to burn... That's what they're for.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Lightning strikes should be allowed to burn... That's what they're for.
    To an extent yes....BUT should those fires threaten private businesses, homes, people, or campgrounds built with our tax dollars every effort should be made to control them or put them out. PERIOD.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    To an extent yes....BUT should those fires threaten private businesses, homes, people, or campgrounds built with our tax dollars every effort should be made to control them or put them out. PERIOD.

TD
    I disagree with tax dollars. In the grand scheme, that money means nothing. Campgrounds can and will be rebuilt, and likely in a better condition. But people's lives and property must be protected.
    Man's habit of trying to control things he can't is getting us into a lot of trouble. The environment (forest fires) is one of those, global warming is another. Not that we go out and go willy-nilly and destroy the place as we know it, but we tend to be a little arrogant when it comes to thinking what it is that we can control.
    Last edited by Marley; 07-18-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    I disagree with tax dollars. In the grand scheme, that money means nothing. Campgrounds can and will be rebuilt, and likely in a better condition. But people's lives and property must be protected.
    Man's habit of trying to control things he can't is getting us into a lot of trouble. The environment (forest fires) is one of those, global warming is another. Not that we go out and go willy-nilly and destroy the place as we know it, but we tend to be a little arrogant when it comes to thinking what it is that we can control.
    So if I disregard the part about campgrounds you're saying you would like to retract your entire comment then correct?

To me a comment like "Lightning strikes should be allowed to burn... That's what they're for" while people in proximity to Parchers Resort were subject to mandatory evacuations was ill timed and did not exactly seem appropriate to me, but that is just my opinion Marley and you are entitled to post what you see fit.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    So if I disregard the part about campgrounds you're saying you would like to retract your entire comment then correct?

To me a comment like "Lightning strikes should be allowed to burn... That's what they're for" while people in proximity to Parchers Resort were subject to mandatory evacuations was ill timed and did not exactly seem appropriate to me, but that is just my opinion Marley and you are entitled to post what you see fit.

TD
    No retraction. My statement and belief on the matter is educated (and not exactly fringe) and is without malice or any ill will toward Jared and his hard-earned and well-run operation at Parchers. I have been and always will be a big fan of his.
    My statement was general in nature. That is was taken to be anything other than that is misread and unfortunate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast