Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I passed up the Curado and the Core..

Does it have backplay?
    When compared to my Luna and Sol, yes it does.

If you hold the spool of the Luna or Sol, the handle won't wiggle back and fourth.

If you hold the spool on the Chronarch, the handle wiggles back and fourth.

Also, if you hold the handle of the Luna or Sol, the spool won't wiggle.

It does on the Chronarch if you hold the handle.

I don't know exactly what that means (hookset authority loss?), but I did not like it on my 50MG when jerkin'. It was noisy too. Lucky, I don't play on jerkin much with this reel cause my Sol is used mostly with my small hardbaits.

Just saying what I feel. I know this Chronarch will cast a mile though and has an awesome drag just from feeling it so it's going to work out fine. Nice clicking drag star and crazy smooth feeling retrieve. Huge drag poundage for that braid or beefier stuff if I need it too.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-18-2009 at 02:54 PM.

I kinda like the smoothness of the core a tick more than the Chronarch but that's just a personal preference. Nevertheless, the Ch100 is still one hell of a sweet reel. Hope u'll tagged a huge number of pigs on that reel.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63power View Post
    Mg+salt=no good
    All of Shimano MG reels have a special coating which allows it for salt. Although no matter how much that is so.. I would not use it in salt, but many use it for inshore. This is why I prefer Shimano MG reels over Daiwa.

I read an in depth description as to why there is backplay in Shimano reels. Basically it's because of the gears and its there to not sacrifice power or something. It has something to do with spacing, and you can actually get rid of it.
    Last edited by a biley; 07-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Both the old Daiwa Fuego reels (red and chrome not silver red and chrome) are rated for saltwater too. They have special saltwater paint coatings and the likes. I used to use my old Fuego MG spinner in the salt with no probs. Though the new Fuego spinner now went to that new carbon stuff.

Here' some info on the play.
    I'm sure it's mod-able. I never looked on my MG50 when I had it.
    http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/v...p?f=12&t=39754

That's the real cause of that backplay in all the Shimano reels - I can confirm since I service mine on regular basis. And that's why all the Daiwa reels I own don't have such backplay - because they don't use this kind of system in their clutch - the roller bearing sleeve sits directly on top of the drag washers - the first metallic one.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-18-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Haha,
    I sent an email to Shimano asking why their reels have this backplay vs my Daiwas. I tried to be as nice about it as possible and explain the problem thoroughly. I wonder if I'll get a respone. Maybe there's a reason for it. Mayeb not. I'll post if I hear back.

Very nice acquisition!

Backup for the Sol?!?!?!

I no tink so...

Very nice reel indeed bro!

Although I don't have any experience with fishing freshwater braid, I think you made a better choice by going with the aluminum version. I'd imagine it would feel a bit more solid compared to the MG version.

The only thing I don't like about it, is the old style ergonomics. Everything now is going smaller and more compact. But i'm sure the guys with bigger hands hate this trend. =p

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast