Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I passed up the Curado and the Core..

Default So I passed up the Curado and the Core..

...And picked up the new Chrony! Didn't see that coming did you?

It still has the same handle/spool play that my 50mg did, so I'm just gonna deal with it this time. The manual says there is a back up anti-reverse in case the main one fails anyways so I guess the play is nothing to be worried about since I won't be jerking with this reel. It's so refined in every other way I can let that one tiny thing slide.

Damn, I didn't see this one coming either. Most expensive reel I've purchased yet. The 300 yard spool of 55lb (10lb dia) Daiwa Samurai braid is on it's way from tackle warehouse to compliment the reel!
    The rod wrapping will have to wait a little longer

Figured I'd post some pics of the reel since you can't see so much detail online. Sex on "reels"! Lots of refined goodies on this thing.

7:1 baby!

I kinda like the wide open thumb bay
    That coated line guide lip is off the chain!

Sideplate release

Heavily ported/lightened reel foot/frame. They also ported/channeled the top of the reel foot to save more weight!

aluminum levelwind parts!

STylish handle, clicking drag star, low pro cast control

Look at that wicked tapered line guide! Nice!

No hastle or spool release VBS adjustment
    Also bearing raced free floating pinion (not shown)

I like this handle better than curado handle

I'm freakin way stoked! Can't wait for the Samurai to show up so I can go out and fish it! I can hardly contain myself!
    P.S.. repainting the Sol again too so I had to get a backup reel!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-18-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    ...And picked up the new Chrony! Didn't see that coming did you?
    Didn't surprise me one bit.

I think its time for a intervention.

I honestly would have gotten the Core 100Mg instead, exact same reel but MG.

Quote Originally Posted by a biley View Post
    I honestly would have gotten the Core 100Mg instead, exact same reel but MG.
    Yeah, that's why I did not want the core.
    I fish the salt too.
    TackleTour is claiming they like the feel of the chronarch over the Core anyways. ( http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshim...hdpreview.html )
    This reel should suit me good I think. It's the same frame as the core, just aluminum. I already went over budget as it was..

Actually the core is rated for salt... but i think it's recommended for inshore which is what you'd probably be doing. The only thing the Chronarch D has over the core is the bearings in the handles. Im glad the NEW core will have that! I was playing around with the Chronarch D and since it was smoother, I wanted it. I told my GF to not let me touch that reel ever again.

One reason I want that Chronarch is that it would balance better with a MH rod, but I don't want a 7:1 or a 5:0. I'm bummed that the new Core 50Mg will only be a high speed.

Very nice purchase! Way more versatile than the core as you can fish the salt...have you ever had any problem with your sol from using it in salt? I used mine once or twice and is fine still but I'm still skeptical about it.

Mg+salt=no good

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63power View Post
    Very nice purchase! Way more versatile than the core as you can fish the salt...have you ever had any problem with your sol from using it in salt? I used mine once or twice and is fine still but I'm still skeptical about it.
    Now days,
    I expect all my reels to be able to handle a dunk in the surf like my SOL and keep fishing. If they get sand in them or start grinding coffe, I dunk them again until it's out and keep fishing. Then clean when I get home. My Sol handles this.

My Sol handles dunks fully submerged in and out for 15 seconds in the surf. Yours might vary. I won't hesitate to tear mine completely apart and clean out every grain of sand once a month though. I love that reel. I can't kill mine but Matt D broke the ring off the drag star on his but it still works fine. He just needs to have it tack welded back on or CNC a new custom drag star or something. I drilled a bunch of holes all over my sol handle and star. I love that reel and compare most things to it! It does not have any play like either of the two nicer Shimano casters I have owned.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 07-18-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying View Post
    Didn't surprise me one bit.

I think its time for a intervention.
    Ha ha ha ha ha! Exactly!

Nice reel, bro. Must be hella light with all those aluminum parts. We'll see how those levelwind gears weather in the long run. if they hold up, I'd say you have a winner, even with the little bit of backplay.

Does it have backplay?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast