Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie at DVL?

Default Crappie at DVL?

I am heading up to DVL for the first time this weekend. Found this awesome forum so come here for some advice.

Does anybody happen to know how the crappie fishing is recently? How deep are they now ? Are they reachable from shore?

What's the average size of the crappies at DVL? I am asking because last time I went to Lake Cuyamaca for crappie and caught a lot of them. But all of them are 2-3 inch. Hope that's not the case at DVL

Thanks a lot in advance!

Better odds for crappie if you fish from a boat. DVL has a nice healthy population of crappie with some getting as large as 3lbs.

Good place to fish for them is the east damn.

good luck

sonarbp

Default DVL Crappie Tips

Try jigs, tipped with crappie nibbles, off the rocks 20-25ft. deep, more shallow in the spring. They hold off the ladders on both dams because the nin-come-poops that built the lake didn't put any structure in so rip-rap is the key. Using minnows will help keep the bluegill and sunfish away, if you only want crappie but the smaller live shad is always best.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecommander View Post
    Try jigs, tipped with crappie nibbles, off the rocks 20-25ft. deep, more shallow in the spring. They hold off the ladders on both dams because the nin-come-poops that built the lake didn't put any structure in so rip-rap is the key. Using minnows will help keep the bluegill and sunfish away, if you only want crappie but the smaller live shad is always best.
    2nd that....

Bluegill

Quote Originally Posted by cpioutdoors View Post
    I am heading up to DVL for the first time this weekend. Found this awesome forum so come here for some advice.

Does anybody happen to know how the crappie fishing is recently? How deep are they now ? Are they reachable from shore?

What's the average size of the crappies at DVL? I am asking because last time I went to Lake Cuyamaca for crappie and caught a lot of them. But all of them are 2-3 inch. Hope that's not the case at DVL

Thanks a lot in advance!
    I went to the DVL last Sunday. I saw a huge crappies schooling in Saddle Dam and lots of crappies in the stairway, about 5 to 10 feet deep.

Good luck!
    Last edited by RamboBoy; 07-17-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonarbp View Post
    Better odds for crappie if you fish from a boat. DVL has a nice healthy population of crappie with some getting as large as 3lbs.

Good place to fish for them is the east damn.

good luck

sonarbp
    Thank you for the tips, Sonabp!

Quote Originally Posted by crappiecommander View Post
    Thanks ,CC。

Quote Originally Posted by RamboBoy View Post
    I went to the DVL last Sunday. I saw a huge crappies schooling in Saddle Dam and lost of crappies in the stairway, about 5 to 10 feet deep.

Good luck!
    Appreciate the heads up, Rambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    2nd that....

Bluegill
    Thank you for chip in , Bluegill. Good luck at Skinner this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by cpioutdoors View Post
    Appreciate the heads up, Rambo.
    No problem! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast