Man Crawler.. I just caught the breakfast part of this thread. Wow... gonna have to cook this up.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on eating those trout. I spend a lot of time fishing the backcountry and I agree that some lakes simply have too many Goldens and or Brookies. A popular belief is that the altitude or lack of food causes the stunting of their growth. It is really competition for an available food source. At 10,000 plus there are very small hatches. Some lakes have so many brookies, that they literally grow hook jaws at 8" long. They are fully mature. They are a very successful breeders. If we took more of these tasty trout, over the years they would get bigger. This is probably impossible though as the lakes aren't fished enough. On the flip side, lakes with fewer fish... have larger fish. Most of these lakes have rainbow and brown trout.
In the backcountry, it is real apparent when there are a ton of fish... you catch one almost every cast.
That being said.. I need to start carrying a frying pan and butter on my backpacking trips.