Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oceanside Harbor Pier and Shore Report

Default Oceanside Harbor Pier and Shore Report

Okay, so here is my second fishing report. Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I went to Oceanside Harbor to fish, leaving the heat of Moreno Valley behind us.

We got there around 4 p.m. Since we didn't have much bait, I went to the conveniently nearby floating docks to get some mussels. While I was there, I noticed several groups of Opaleyes actively feeding near shore among the seaweed. Also, there were lots of Garibaldi, very pretty but off limits fishing wise. I also saw a strange, pink fish swimming near the docks. It was not a Garibaldi. I don't know what it was.

After I took the mussels back to the pier where my wife was, I returned to the shoreline rocks to fish for Opaleye, one of my favorite saltwater fish. I set up my pole with a rig I have devised for preventing snags which I call Robert's Radical Rip Rap Rig. (Robert is my real name.) To do this, I attach a bobber to a swivel at the end of my line, and in front of the bobber, I have a short sliding leader with a jig, or a split shot and a hook. It slides down to the bottom, wherever that happens to be, but avoids getting stuck, by and large, because lifting the rod tip lifts the hook back out of whatever crevice it went into. I used this method for over two hours, I would say, and never once got snagged on the rocks yesterday, so I would say it worked. I also caught two Opaleyes using it, about a half pound each, which I kept, plus a 6 inch Kelp Bass which I released, and missed various other bites on it. That was a lot better than people on the pier were doing. The entire time that we were there, we only saw one small Topsmelt, and one small Octopus caught, plus a Spotfin Croaker of around 10-11 inches which my wife caught. I think the fish there like mussels much better than other baits such as squid, anchovy or sardines, which other people were using. The pier was fairly crowded, actually.

At one point, I somehow pulled up a Sabiki Rig, complete with weight, swivel, and the five little lures in good condition. Since I had forgotten to bring my one Sabiki Rig with us, this was fortunate. Some guys have all the luck. There I was fishing with the prettiest woman on the pier (yes I mean my wife), and also catching the most fish, although the fishing was definitely on the slow side. Later, I put the Sabiki Rig on another pole, put on some pieces of mussel, and caught another little Kelp Bass, and what appeared to be either a baby Kelp Rockfish or a baby Scorpionfish (not sure which), both released. That was it for the catching.

Being a Social Psychologist, or maybe just an observer of people, I did see some interesting things. One was a lady, who I think was Korean, by her accent, plus I think I heard her speaking Korean to her husband, who apparently was trying to catch an octopus on the shore. She actually had a chicken leg attached to a line, on a rock out of the water, waiting for an octopus to crawl out from the crevice in the rocks to get the chicken. Actually, I don't blame her; I like to eat octopus better than chicken myself. But the amount of chicken she was using seemed unnecessary. Unfortunately, she did not get any octopus.

There was also a flamboyant acting blond-haired man on the pier. I first noticed him when he reeled in a line near us, and started singing a "not even a nibble" song. Believe me; that one will never make the top 30 hit parade. Later on, I overheard him telling someone how, while he was in the Navy, he once jumped off a ship into the middle of the ocean while the ship was moving at 45 knots. (So he claimed; I didn't think the ships even went that fast.) I had to wonder why a person would say something such as this, and think it really amusing, since the possibilities are: 1. He made the entire thing up; 2. He was trying to commit suicide (definitely not funny); 3. He was being dangerously impulsive, probably with the encouragement of his buddies, or 4. He was "out of his mind."

Fortunately, he survived and doesn't seem too crazy, just eccentric. I hope he isn't mentally imbalanced, since he is a father. He was also introducing his son to people on the pier.

Oh, there are no pictures for this trip; we did not bring the camera, and all the fishly evidence has already been consumed.

very in depth... i like it. opaleye are some of my favorite to catch too.
    sounds like the people watching was interesting, its great in newport...

Magafisher, thanks for the comment. I know; you can tell that I am into writing. As I mentioned in the post about the big trout I caught, I am mostly a blogger internet-wise. Also, I believe that these forums are for sharing information. Not being detailed, for me, is doing a half-assed job. So is keeping information secret, in my opinion, unless there is a compelling reason for doing so. I figure that there are so many places to fish, so many species to fish for, and so many ways to fish for them, that sharing details is very unlikely to ruin a fishery, unless everybody runs out and does the same thing, which I don't think really happens.

Well, philosophizing aside, you really meet some interesting people around the piers. I also fish around Newport sometimes. My wife and I have met some interesting people around there as well. I love the challenge and satisfaction of catching Opaleyes. They are an interesting species, and they seem to be doing very well numbers-wise in recent years -- perhaps because they are not easy to catch, and also because of an increase in the amount of seaweed which they eat.

There's some big Opaleye that I've seen in Catalina. Ever tried fishing them there?

TSchaffer, yes! In fact, I caught my first Opaleye at the Green Pleasure Pier at Avalon. We only had lures and squid for bait. We were catching lots of undersized Kelp Bass on jigs and other lures, but the Opaleyes would not touch them. They weren't really into squid, either, but finally, a large Opaleye (about a pound or so) grabbed my squid there, and I caught it. My wife also caught a large Sargo there, the first Sargo for either of us. I think this was in 1997, Labor Day. I remember, it was the same time that Princess Diana died. But for us, it was good times. I just wish it was easier to get to Catalina.

Yea I know what you mean. Unless you have your own boat it's expensive. But I've seen some Opaleye there that look 5lbs and over. They won't touch anything though. I can only catch the smaller ones.

If it was the same guy I would be shocked, but while I was camping at Mojave Narrows this blonde haired guy (maybe 45 years old?) with his son was there and he was extremely eccentric. He looked like he could have been in the Navy. He wasn't crazy, just really weird singing some burrito song i think he made up with his kid and going around talking to everybody.

Gavin, that's funny! It probably was the same guy. At least your description of him fits what I saw. He was indeed around 45 years old, I would say. I guess Mr. Eccentric really gets around.

Quote Originally Posted by TShaffer View Post
    Yea I know what you mean. Unless you have your own boat it's expensive. But I've seen some Opaleye there that look 5lbs and over. They won't touch anything though. I can only catch the smaller ones.
    What are you using for bait. Try Mussel or peas and squid strip.

Bigred

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRED KILLA View Post
    What are you using for bait. Try Mussel or peas and squid strip.

Bigred
    Tried it all. Maybe my presentation is wrong?
    P.S. Sorry if I jacked this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast