Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: braid newb

I've never really thought about it. Pull really hard and hope you don't loose 1/2 a spool of braid in one hit?

But seriously. Have you tried a bow and arrow release? If it's not completely driven in there, it'll help pop out alot of snags. I'd try that or moving down the shore and changing the angle to get it out that way. Lastly, I'd try a direct pull and hope the jig would pop out or the line breaks at the knot without loosing too much.

Moving down the shore while in free spool and then stopping periodically to tug helps a lot, and make sure you are pulling against the drag so your rod has no pressure on it. Also pull away from yourself so when it does pop free the hook doesn't sink into you... or your friends. Pulling hooks out of people is not fun at all.

Pull really hard and hope you don't loose 1/2 a spool of braid in one hit?
    Sounds like me the other night Ouch. Good thing I have 2-3 fills left.
    Hey no backlashing though and casts like a dream. Nice stuff.

I did the bow and arrow and walked both ways on shore. She wouldn't come up. Found the only snag in the water on an unsnaggable bait by letting it sink to the bottom experimenting with retrieves. Direct pull didn't do it either and I Came close to losing a digit

Didn't want to break a rod or a reel, so I cut it.

I guess I'll just use a section of 12lb mono leader. That should let me break it off and at least save the braid while still saving some of the no stretch qualities maybe? I'll give it a shot.

thats what i do. i use a 6-10foot tippet of mono. use an uni to uni knot. never had one break at the knot. also put a dot of superglue on the knot of the braid.

i use 40# suffix braid on my 253 with/15# halo....(suffix is awesome!! cast smoother than izor or p.p....)

Quote Originally Posted by kill_obet View Post
    i use 40# suffix braid on my 253 with/15# halo....(suffix is awesome!! cast smoother than izor or p.p....)
    Nice reel.

check out what i found researching suffix braid. its a evaluation by an angler on a striper fishing forum. http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=497830

Quote Originally Posted by calico killer kevin View Post
    TJ, do yourself a favor, get some 40 or 50lb Daiwa Samurai Braid, and never look back. It's thinner, stronger, casts better, ties better knots, and I have NEVER, NEVER had a breakoff on it. If anything it's good luck haha. I have NEVER had a backlash in which I had to pull out the scissors, I have NEVER pulled a hook, and I have NEVER gotten a dreaded wind knot.

I use 5 yards of a mono backing and I tie the braid to that. I don't get any of the slippage I did with PowerPro. I tied the PP directly to the spool using a polamar knot and after 6 months of use, it started to slip.

I can't comment on the logevity of the line, but I have used it for 3 months without any problems. I always use a 5-10ft topshot depending on the type of fishing I do unless I'm frogging over pure mats.
    samurai is the best stuff u can get in my opinon that is all i ever use

Yeah the Samurai does seem like nice stuff compared to other braid I've felt.

Does my knot look right to you guys? Then I just add a drop of glue?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast