Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Rig set up for white sea bass or yellowtail???

Default Rig set up for white sea bass or yellowtail???

I was at San Climente Island last friday and went through about 4 different setups, what set up works best and what size tackle is preferred??? Thanks alot. Also we used only squids when sardines were in the tank, any advice would be appreciated. I just want to go on the next charter prepared with the right gear... thanks guys
    Last edited by Johnnyblaze2009; 07-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.

If the seabass and yellowtail are WFO they they will bite on just about any line class. If they will bite 50 # throw 50#.

SCI fishing for yellowtail, I'll usually start off with a 25# rig and see what happens. If it's a slow day I may have to drop a line class to 20# or if they are biting really good I may even switch up to 30# depending on how they are.

Hard to say what they are going to bite on. But when I go I'll bring setups from 15# all they way up to 40# and I'll have hooks ranging from 1 to 5/0 along with an assortment of sliding egg sinkers and torpedoe sinkers too along with some surface irons and yo-yo jigs.

They've been biting very well lately on dropper looped squirts on 30lb fluoro. USE FLUORO, you need every edge you can get. There have been a few on the surface as well and a squirt with a 3/8oz sliding sinker will do well. This is at Clemente by the way. Catalina, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyblaze2009 View Post
    I was at San Climente Island last friday and went through about 4 different setups, what set up works best and what size tackle is preferred??? Thanks alot. Also we used only squids when sardines were in the tank, any advice would be appreciated. I just want to go on the next charter prepared with the right gear... thanks guys
    Your best bet is to always check with the deckhands (x-hand here) when you're on the boat as to which way they want you to set up. Some boats fish differently than others.

For sinkers you should have a variety of sliders (my favs), torpedo (for dropper loops) and rubbercore (eehhh!) sinkers from about 1/8 to maybe 2oz.
    Hooks should be 3/0 to 6/0 (Super/Mutu or other circle) for squid and macks. For anchovs and dines you need everything from 6's to 1's (various types, my faves mutu's). Sometimes (kind of rare) you might even need split-shots size 5-7.

Seabass should be fished on up to 30# max! You have to be very careful as seabass have very soft tissue mouths and you can pull the hook on bigger fish on longer fights. I remember a day off where we were fishing inside Rocky where I was jigging a 4/0 on 40# and a D8 and pulled the hook on some 15+ fish , landed my limit (3) and handed off at least 10 other hookups to passengers that were not properly outfitted and never lost a jig.

Yellows you can fish up to 80# in a wfo bite when the fish get REALLY STUPID!!! With squid on a light bite you should maybe go down to 15-20. With macks you need to go to at least 25# so that you can pull the hook out of the bait and hook the yellow.

What most people don't understand, is that both species of fish fight differently.
    Seabass aren't very smart and don't look to head for cover like 'tails. Seabass will head straight out, maybe down but hardly ever into cover like seaweed, pinnacles, or rocks.
    On the other hand, yellowtail are like largemouth bass. They will look for struture to "saw" you off on. If you've ever been on a number of trips where there was a good yellow bite, guys (and deckhands) will talk about "being rocked" by a 'tail. These fish are SMART! I've hooked 'tails on 60# around the "boilers" off PV for literally just seconds before the fish "sawed me off". Over the years, I've lost track of how many yellows I've been "rocked" by (and it's well into the triple digits).

This being said, rod actions must accommodate the two styles of fishing you might encounter. You should do some research on rod actions (a suggestion). All my rods are custom (sized and wrapped by me) and the following list of rods are what I use.
    For my seabass fishing I like a Truline LM8 (15#), M8 (25#), Calstar 210 (15#), Seeker 690J (25# lt/jig) and an original (rare custom) D8 for hvy/jigs. These rods have a slow to medium action so that the rod doesn't apply too much pressure making larger hole in the fish's mouth.
    For my 'tail fishing, I always recommend a fast action rod. I actually have too many rods to list ('chovies, 'dines, macks, squid and lt/hvy jigs). But a few examples would be Calstar's T870 (25# bait), T6460-6470 (30-40 bait/jig) or almost any fast action rod that will handle 25-40# (line rating of 20-50#) will do. If you've ever been on a boat fishing 'tails, the most successfull "sticks" on the boat will be the ones that were able to turn the fish in the first couple of seconds after hook-up.

I'm not sure if I missed anything, but if you ask around this site and elsewhere (ie. deckhands/skippers and the better known Salt Tackle shops like Yo's, Art's, the Rusty Hook etc.) I'm sure you can get more info.
    Hope this helped.
    LW

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    Your best bet is to always check with the deckhands (x-hand here) when you're on the boat as to which way they want you to set up. Some boats fish differently than others.

For sinkers you should have a variety of sliders (my favs), torpedo (for dropper loops) and rubbercore (eehhh!) sinkers from about 1/8 to maybe 2oz.
    Hooks should be 3/0 to 6/0 (Super/Mutu or other circle) for squid and macks. For anchovs and dines you need everything from 6's to 1's (various types, my faves mutu's). Sometimes (kind of rare) you might even need split-shots size 5-7.

Seabass should be fished on up to 30# max! You have to be very careful as seabass have very soft tissue mouths and you can pull the hook on bigger fish on longer fights. I remember a day off where we were fishing inside Rocky where I was jigging a 4/0 on 40# and a D8 and pulled the hook on some 15+ fish , landed my limit (3) and handed off at least 10 other hookups to passengers that were not properly outfitted and never lost a jig.

Yellows you can fish up to 80# in a wfo bite when the fish get REALLY STUPID!!! With squid on a light bite you should maybe go down to 15-20. With macks you need to go to at least 25# so that you can pull the hook out of the bait and hook the yellow.

What most people don't understand, is that both species of fish fight differently.
    Seabass aren't very smart and don't look to head for cover like 'tails. Seabass will head straight out, maybe down but hardly ever into cover like seaweed, pinnacles, or rocks.
    On the other hand, yellowtail are like largemouth bass. They will look for struture to "saw" you off on. If you've ever been on a number of trips where there was a good yellow bite, guys (and deckhands) will talk about "being rocked" by a 'tail. These fish are SMART! I've hooked 'tails on 60# around the "boilers" off PV for literally just seconds before the fish "sawed me off". Over the years, I've lost track of how many yellows I've been "rocked" by (and it's well into the triple digits).

This being said, rod actions must accommodate the two styles of fishing you might encounter. You should do some research on rod actions (a suggestion). All my rods are custom (sized and wrapped by me) and the following list of rods are what I use.
    For my seabass fishing I like a Truline LM8 (15#), M8 (25#), Calstar 210 (15#), Seeker 690J (25# lt/jig) and an original (rare custom) D8 for hvy/jigs. These rods have a slow to medium action so that the rod doesn't apply too much pressure making larger hole in the fish's mouth.
    For my 'tail fishing, I always recommend a fast action rod. I actually have too many rods to list ('chovies, 'dines, macks, squid and lt/hvy jigs). But a few examples would be Calstar's T870 (25# bait), T6460-6470 (30-40 bait/jig) or almost any fast action rod that will handle 25-40# (line rating of 20-50#) will do. If you've ever been on a boat fishing 'tails, the most successfull "sticks" on the boat will be the ones that were able to turn the fish in the first couple of seconds after hook-up.

I'm not sure if I missed anything, but if you ask around this site and elsewhere (ie. deckhands/skippers and the better known Salt Tackle shops like Yo's, Art's, the Rusty Hook etc.) I'm sure you can get more info.
    Hope this helped.
    LW
    Nice reply homie....really thourough....right on point about the lighter tip for the seabass.....as far as the yellows, for some reason, you got me thinking about the Farnsworth...those fish rule....

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    Nice reply homie....really thourough....right on point about the lighter tip for the seabass.....as far as the yellows, for some reason, you got me thinking about the Farnsworth...those fish rule....

GD
    Thanks, just trying to pass on info I learned while working on the boats.

Yeah! Those fish remind me of the fish at "the Rocks" (Alijos).

Think REALLY pissed off Pit Bull on steriods.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
    Thanks, just trying to pass on info I learned while working on the boats.

Yeah! Those fish remind me of the fish at "the Rocks" (Alijos).

Think REALLY pissed off Pit Bull on steriods.

LW
    who are you man? ive been around on boats forever....nice to have another OG deck on the board...

GD

Quote Originally Posted by ghetto dad View Post
    who are you man? ive been around on boats forever....nice to have another OG deck on the board...

GD
    My name is Robert. Around Redondo back in the day, they used to call me "Riceball". Don't really know why 'cause I'm not too crazy about 'em!

Nice to meet you GD. Have seen plenty of your posts over the years (been a lurker for about 2 years). May I say, very entertaining.

Used to work down in Redondo in the early-mid '80's. GF used to work galley on the Special, I used to work in the office and on the City and Special. Did some time in Diego on various boats and had a couple of good friends worked on the Shogun before it move ops there. Also spent some time @ Art's in Gardena and hung around Yo's to learn to balance/fit rods and wrap.

I attribute my saltwater knowledge from my grandfather who taught me to be techical. He was primarily a surf fisherman (you know tides and stuff), but would take me out on the boats from time to time. Through the years I also learned to watch the "old timers" and listened to the deckhands. I noticed that those who would consistently listen to the deckhands and the skippers would be the ones with limits or jackpots or both.

For the most part over the last 40 years I heve been primarily a Fly Fisherman but I do have a sweet spot for the salt. I have been known to toss a fly for the albies though. Unfortunately I suffered a upper back injury a few years back that has limited my saltwater excursions ever since.
    I've lived in the Santa Clarita Valley for the last 30 years (off and on) and spend most of my time (one day trips) bass fishing @ Castaic, Casitas and Piru. I have recently gotten "the fever" (as Gary-feel the steel) for stripeys though.

If I get well enough to get back to the salt I'd enjoy fishing with you one day!
    Lookin' forward to more of your posts.
    Robert.