Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st trip to Silverwood and my 1st stripers ever.

Default 1st trip to Silverwood and my 1st stripers ever.

Sorry guys, but I left my camera in the truck when we launched, so I don’t have pictures and I know that this report is worthless without them, but I need to give kudos to a fellow member and I hope you do also.

Well I had the privilege to meet LateFisher (John) and his family up at the Sierras Parcher’s Team 57 event. During a conversation with John I happen to mention that I’ve never been fishing for stripers. Being the class guy that he is, John invited me to go out on his boat to Silverwood (never been there either), if he got the repairs done on it last week in time, so we exchanged phone numbers. Sure enough he had his boat worked on and gave me a call Thursday evening and asked if I was still on to fish Friday 6-19, I said "sure" and agreed to drive out to meet him at his place (Phelan) at 7:00. After some technical difficulties in the morning, I arrived at John’s house at 9:00 (sorry John) and we including his Grandson Clay and his dog Buddy, jumped in his truck and headed out to Silverwood.
    We arrived at Silverwood, waited in line for Inspection, picked some anchovies and finally launched and headed to a location that John had read about in WON that was doing decent the past week. We anchored down and got our gear rigged up and it was time to relax and get our fish on.
    I rigged up a c-rig with a #4 mosquito hook (red), approx. 18” leader (6#) with a small piece of anchovy; it was small compared to the boat next to us that were using 12’ poles with big chunks of bait. I cast out at 11:00, set my pole down to rig my second pole, then after about three minutes I felt my pole wiggling, look over and see the tip bending “Hook Up” and I pulled in my first striper ever on my very first cast. I baited up my pole again, cast out and 5 minutes later, "Fish On” and in the first hour it was the same, each cast and a few minutes wait, it was a catch. John also caught a striper within the first half hour and the “skunk” was completely off the boat. I had caught 7 stripers before we had to pull up anchor to take his Grandson to the bathroom for a break. John took me on a scenic tour around the lake which was a nice relaxing ride and then we headed but to our original spot to continue the slaying. It was a bit tough trying to get back into our spot because of the wind and we drifted really close to the boat next to us and tangled a few lines, but the guys were understanding and cool. We finally anchored down again and continued to fish, but the bite had turned off and of course we had moved over about 75 yards from our original spot which a follow fisherman had mentioned earlier that it was the “honey hole” spot that all the boats run to on Saturdays. Around 4:30 I finally got another fish and then caught 4 more within an hour. We finally packed and left about 6:30 for home.

It was a great day with a great new friend and captain, his Granson Clay and of course buddy. It’s an example of the type of class members we have here on FNN that are willing to offer a fellow fisherman a opportunity to experience something new and share their knowledge.
    Thank you LateFisher and look forward to fishing with you again very soon.

Final count:
    CatchThatTrout = 12
    LateFisher = 2 (note: the Captain was more concerned with his company having a good time)
    All stripers were in the 1 ˝ -3 pound range and were very good beer battered fish tacos.

Sorry again for no pictures.
    Last edited by CatchthatTrout; 06-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Default Nice!

We going to hit the Silverwood's campsites this weekend, I'll be happy to catch half of your number. Thanks for the details report and congrats on the stripers.

Kudos to John to be your Captain for the day .
    I'll fish with John anytime.....
    Good job out there guys.

KPN.

Congrats Tony!
    Sounds like you & John had a great time!

See you guys at Legends III

Dana

First of all, thanks Tony for the kind words and it was my pleasure to take you to Silverwood and have a sucessfull day of fishing. Also a special thank you to the fishing gods that were helping us, all of you that know me know that I can use all the help I can get !!!!!!! It's good to give a good report for Silverwood we don't see many, it's a beautiful lake but can be tuff ! Tony let
    me know when you want to do it again.

JOHN

Nice report Tony. I enjoyed reading it. Congrats on your first trip to Sliverwood and your first Linesides. They are sure great to eat.

Good job Tony!

I have still to catch my first striped bass. Will head to Castaic in about 3 weeks and try my luck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by TheFishcatcher View Post
    We going to hit the Silverwood's campsites this weekend, I'll be happy to catch half of your number. Thanks for the details report and congrats on the stripers.
    Thank you very much.
    I hope you have a great time camping at Silverwood, I was impressed that it was such a beautiful lake. Good luck on the fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by kpn View Post
    Kudos to John to be your Captain for the day .
    I'll fish with John anytime.....
    Good job out there guys.
    KPN.
    Thanks for the kudos to John , he’s a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman57 View Post
    Congrats Tony!
    Sounds like you & John had a great time!
    See you guys at Legends III

Dana
    We did have a nice relaxing time (except for fighting the winds a bit), and as John mentioned, the fishing gods were good to me that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman65 View Post
    Nice report Tony. I enjoyed reading it. Congrats on your first trip to Sliverwood and your first Linesides. They are sure great to eat.
    Thanks Patrick. It was a good time and very good eats after.

Quote Originally Posted by lalo56 View Post
    Good job Tony!

I have still to catch my first striped bass. Will head to Castaic in about 3 weeks and try my luck.

Eddie
    Thanks Lalo. It was fun catching the stripers because they act really big on 4-6# line. Good luck on your hunt for the striper soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LateFisher View Post
    First of all, thanks Tony for the kind words and it was my pleasure to take you to Silverwood and have a successful day of fishing. Also a special thank you to the fishing gods that were helping us, all of you that know me know that I can use all the help I can get !!!!!!! It's good to give a good report for Silverwood we don't see many, it's a beautiful lake but can be tuff ! Tony let me know when you want to do it again.

JOHN

Thanks again John. It was great to get rid of that nasty skunk as soon as we started fishing and the rest of the day was………. Perfect.
    Well I’m always off on Friday’s, so just shine the Team 57 logo into the night sky and I’ll show up to fish with you.

thats awesome ,i cant to get my boat up and running so i can hit silverwood.but that sounded like a great trip

Wow........I forgot one very good moment.

DFG was at the lake and greeted us as we came in to shore for the day.
    He checked our catch, questioned us how many persons fished, checked the live wells and looked at our visible fishing licenses. I watched him throughly inspect several other boats.

WAY TO GO DFG!!!

John and I expressed our appreciation for the work he was doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast