Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanson Dam & Balboa Lake

Default Hanson Dam & Balboa Lake

Why anyone would fish either of these concrete ponds I have no clue.

I had played the Woodley lakes golf course for many years but never fished Balboa Lake until Tuesday (6/22/09) and won't be fishing at Balboa ever again. What a pathetically sad attempt by the city to make fishing fun. For starters the water at Balboa Lake is reclaimed and smells awful. Second, unless you're 5 or 6 years old or stuck in the wild without gear, no one should be fishing with a worm on a hook with a bobber tossed 6 feet away so you can watch the fish take the hook? Really comical watching dudes fishing this way. Especially when fishing for fish tank size 4" nothings. And then there's the carp. Why bother.

Next is Hansen Dam. Don't even bother fishing during the summer from the banks. The water is too hot and only the minnows are near the shore. With a normal rig using a spinner you'll never cast out far enough to catch anything other than a sunburn. If you want to try your luck at catching planted catfish here you'll need to bring a surf rod and cast a mile into the center of the pond.

If these two lakes are your only two options to fish, better off mowing the yard and taking out the trash.

I have fished balboa lake and only for sport. I dont have a problem catching what ever there is at Balboa Lake.

I know people catch catfish at Hansen Lake. I went sometime in May and saw catfish by shore the same day that had stocked trout. So Catfish are there and do go to shore. Now when they stock it, you will catch them or not.

Better luck next time.
    Last edited by lalo56; 06-24-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cavanaugh View Post
    I have no clue.
    I think you about summed it up in the first line....enjoy your lawn and the rest of your chores.

You come off as some hardcore angler degrading places some people go to simply enjoy the outdoors or spend time with their family and yet you're hopscotching City park lakes in the San Fernando Valley? WTF did you expect Ansel Adams? Maybe you should volunteer for a kids event at Hansen dam someday to help open your eyes a little, because you have clearly missed the boat.

Welcome to the board btw, great first report

TD
    Last edited by troutdog; 06-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Lake Balboa is not for everyone. It' a great place to fish for kids though. I must admit, I wouldn't recommend to fish here if you're planning to consume your catch.

One thing for sure though, I'd rather fish than mow the lawn or take out the trash! lol
    Last edited by Anglerism; 06-24-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

sounds like a rant? maybe you should just roll it up and call it a dayer...next lake will have bigger fish and less rant, just maybe?

sounds like you fish for food

Quote Originally Posted by cavanaugh View Post
    Next is Hansen Dam. Don't even bother fishing during the summer from the banks. The water is too hot and only the minnows are near the shore. With a normal rig using a spinner you'll never cast out far enough to catch anything other than a sunburn. If you want to try your luck at catching planted catfish here you'll need to bring a surf rod and cast a mile into the center of the pond.
    You are much too quick to judge. You just happened to have a bad day or was there on the wrong day/time. When I lived near there, I had several 10-20 catfish days there. I definitely was not using a surf rod or casting a mile either. In fact, I would either FLYLINE mackerel/stinkbait or split shot a M&M combo with a very light setup and 6lb test. If you think you need to get your bait to the the middle of the lake to catch fish, you are mistaken.

Don't go out there during the heat of the day though, there is no cover so the sun is just going to beat down on you. The bite is better at dawn and dusk anyway.

Oh yea, a little less rant and a little more patience/research will yield you better results.
    Last edited by PokerFish; 06-24-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Wow, did you get pushed into the lake at these places, because you hold some hilarious animosity towards them.

While I tend to agree that city park lakes are no substitute for an experience on the water on different bodies of water, they do provide anglers a closer alternative to packing up the RV and heading out to Canada to fish for smallmouth at lakes that get a handful of visitors a year.

I grew up fishing these small city park lakes, mostly because as a kid, I didn't have the opportunities to fish other impoundments. I learned the basics there, and I learned how to have fun, even though conditions were not as National Geographic as other locations.

Having said that, my lawn needs mowing.

What's your going rate?

Lake Balboa is great for free fishing days to get people started on fishing. There is at least something in that lake to keep kids and other impatient folks interested. Sure it is sad and hilarious to see the many tools man makes up to catch fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast