Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Barbie Pole" Challenge. Legal Halibut Marvel Comic Style - Monday 6/22/09

Default The "Barbie Pole" Challenge. Legal Halibut Marvel Comic Style - Monday 6/22/09

Wingnut vs Blackwater - Part 5 (Wingnut undefeated 5-0).

The Challenge & Wager: About three weeks ago, Phuong (Blackwater) issued his latest challenge. A $500.00 wager that I could not hook & land a legal Halibut with a Barbie style fishing rod & reel. I have three trips anywhere in the salt to accomplish this feat. I must provide undisputable proof of the event and have a second party present to verify the catch.

After mulling over the challenge for an entire week, and talking at length with my support staff (Steve - Flyngby & Mike - Bones), I decided to to take on the challenge. The first of three trips to accomplish this feat will start after I get back from the Sierras Parcher's event. That would be today, Monday 6/22/09. My plan was to hit a harbor of choice with Flyngby and make two trips to my favorite surf spots to secure the win. I realize that this was a tough challenge but the thrill of the chase is enough to fuel my determination.

Mike, Steve and I carefully planned the mission and made a joint decision on what area we were going to hit. We took Steve's advice to take his boat to a harbor that his boat has never been on before. Fishing in unfamiliar waters on his boat is a challenge in itself and the three of us took on the task together. Mike is the official record keeper and was in charge of documenting the mission(s). Steve was my guide and navigator and I was relying on him to put me on the fish. All I have to do is catch the fish... sounds easy doesn't it? Anyways, it all looked good on paper.

Blackwater dropped off two sets of Barbie rods (Superman & Spiderman) complete with tackle pack & lunch box and off we went. The reels holds 85 yards of 6 lbs test line. I plan to throw the LC's or Krocs with one and set the other up with the dropshot.

Disclaimer: No fish were harmed in the undertaking of this challenge.

Weapons.

Conditions: Cool & clear morning, sunny & warm afternoon. Water temperature 64 degrees, fishing an incoming tide, harbor water clarity fair, moderate offshore wind. Very little baitfish presence (mostly micro baits).

The morning didn't start out too well as it was tough launching in the negative low tide at the ramp. Steve's truck almost slid into the water as we back the trailer down the ramp. We had to tie ropes to connect two vehicles and pull the truck back up the ramp after launch. It was nervous time for sure! We also had to help another boater with similar launch troubles to get his vehicle back up the ramp.

Here we are improvising at the launch ramp.

We finally hit the harbor and started fishing it sections at a time. Concentrating on whatever little bait in the water that we could find, which was pretty scarce. It was quite amusing to Mike & Steve as they watched me struggle to get used to the high quality gear. It took me about fifteen minutes or so to learn how to cast & work the rigs comfortably & effectively. I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed everytime other boaters or shore fishermen saw me using these rigs... they would point & laugh, saying stuff like "Hey dude, what's up with those rods...?" What the heck, all in the name of fun right? It's good to have a good laugh once in awhile, even at your own expense.

The first catch of the day... this little guy felt like a monster! Good, the incidental catch gave me a chance to really feel how inadequate the drags on these set-ups are and adjust.

Mike nails the first Flat Boy... barely short at 21 1/2 inches.

Well, after a couple of hours of relentlessly working the dropshot and nothing to show for it except for a bunch of junk Croakers, I was starting to get impatient. The Blackwater challenge is starting to wear on my nerves.

Then it happened... twitch, twitch on the dropshot... thunk, rod loads up, swing and fish on!

You have to turn up the volume while watching this video to hear the fish burn drag. I couldn't muscle the fish at all with the light line, weak drag and no leverage due the 2 foot length of the rod. The fish bolted several times at color when it saw the boat and while I was trying to get it to the net. It was quite a battle, my heart was pounding the entire time... But with great teamwork, success! High fives all around.

Video Alert:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tarasdad2009#play/all/uploads-all/0/de2pZpdzhas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2pZpdzhas

My adrenaline was really pumping and my vitals were off the charts. Took me a good ten minutes to finally calm down.
    The legal Butt taped out at 23 inches.

Sorry Phuong (Blackwater), victory is mine... again! I felt the weight lifted off my shoulders at the moment I released the fish and realized that I accomplished the challenge in just ONE mission! I promptly thanked my support staff and like any jackpot winner, I split my winnings with them. Mike & Steve, you guys are the best!

Paying homage to Poseidon.

Now that was the most fun I've had in a long time. I thought that catching my PB DD Trout in the Sierras a few days ago was fun, but this really top the cake! Yes, the Fish Gods have been kind indeed!!!

Mike & Steve, thanks again for your help, support and believing in me while others just laugh and said that I didn't have a chance...

Phuong, thanks for being a good sport... nice doing business with you once again my friend. Awaiting your next challenge.

Thanks for sharing this special moment with me everybody. This one will be stored in the old memory banks for a long, long time.

Arthur (Wingnut)

"To dream of the person you want to be is a waste of the person that you are..."

Extras:
    Mike getting in on some of the premium gear action.

My tackle box for the day.

Kryptonite.

My "Support" Team.

New additions to my fishing arsenal.

Parting shots.

Last edited by Wingnut; 07-13-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections.

Damn Blackwater. You must be a bank or something. Now give him an ACTUAL challenge like catching a legal halibut using only 2lb test or something. Too easy.

Great job Wingnut.

"I love You man!"

I'm sitting here speechless! When you told me about this in the Sierra's I was confident that it would take you at least 2 trips and a few break ups with Nessie "fortifying" the drags between trips for you to accomplish this.

This is incredible! Wait until I tell my dad! He's gonna love it!

Oh yeah! Thanks for the "Classic" Wingnut pose with the rod betwwen your teeth while holding the fish! That was awesome!

Arthur,

In the face of odds stacked against you......You always seem to come out on top. This weekend you showed the TEAM 57 family just how it's done with style and commitment. From the trophy Alper trout and beautiful Browns you caught in the Sierras to the defeat of the Blackwater Challenge.I'm proud to call you my friend and today
    is a day that I will remember forever. Anyone who doesn't believe in KARMA has never met a man called "WINGNUT"
    You are living proof the hardwork and commitment pay off and sometimes......Lady Luck shines upon you!
    Right out of the gate it didn't look good for a greylight launch but we didn't give up .....You were so pumped up and it was like you had a sixth sense that something GOOD was going to happen. You were pacing up and down the dock.
    Then we rescued that guy with the 26 ft Parker that was stuck on the ramp. We sandbagged the bed of the truck (With our bodyweight) while Steve scrounged up gravel to aid in the dudes traction.
    That was right before we used TWO TRUCKS to launch ONE boat safely.....LOL

TEAMWORK BABY.....THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Steve,

Thanks for the guide work and commitment in helping Arthur accomplish a difficult challenge. Your call on the "Best Place" to pull it off was right on the money.

What a great day with some great guys.
    Last edited by bones; 06-24-2009 at 06:10 PM.

thats freaken hilarous and utterly interesting at the same time!

great job out there guys!

check out this link i found: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1186067.html

OK Arthur, now don't go trying to catch a yellow with that rod, or you'll really be humbled. Too funny.

You are the poster boy for barbie and superman poles. I suggest you submit this report to their company in hopes of a lucrative contract!! Seriously!!

That is awesome. haha. Can't believe you pulled that off. Nice work on the video.. Looks like a legal halibut is no match for superheros.

Ha ha... Doing work with the superman rod.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast