Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will a Reel last in salt water. . .

Default How long will a Reel last in salt water. . .

Long story short, my friend went out kayak fishing for the first time. Got hit by a wave, flipped, lost his rod and reel in the water. This happened Yesterday (6-22-09)

Still viable to fish it out and get it cleaned up? or is he SoL?

i would think it depends on how it was made, but i most reels i believe once it hits the bottom and then sand gets into the bearings and other small parts.. that it's not quite worth going after anymore.

He lost an Avet SX. . .

Quote Originally Posted by HEMAN View Post
    i would think it depends on how it was made, but i most reels i believe once it hits the bottom and then sand gets into the bearings and other small parts.. that it's not quite worth going after anymore.
    Not entirely true!!!! The longer it sits at the bottom the more damage the salt and sand will do. If you retrieve the setup in a timely manner and spend the time to take the reel apart you can save it. Lots of work and cleaning but if it was a top $$$ reel it may be worth it!!

The waves and current can do amazing things!!!! The odds of you finding it are another story. The odds are that the setup will not be in the same place your buddy lost it.....he might just take it as a tough lesson learned and get a new setup!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonarbp View Post
    Not entirely true!!!! The longer it sits at the bottom the more damage the salt and sand will do. If you retrieve the setup in a timely manner and spend the time to take the reel apart you can save it. Lots of work and cleaning but if it was a top $$$ reel it may be worth it!!

The waves and current can do amazing things!!!! The odds of you finding it are another story. The odds are that the setup will not be in the same place your buddy lost it.....he might just take it as a tough lesson learned and get a new setup!!!!!
    I'm on the same page as you, I'm not so sure it will be easy to find. But he's weighing his chances of going out and finding it today or tomorrow.

good luck... scuba gear and a metal detector?

I have scuba gear, for the right amount of $$$ I would possibly think of coming out there and looking for it... Never really did any diving here on the west coast. The most I did here was on the Coronado Island, the US Coronado Island when I was attending seals scuba school while in the Marine Corps

Quote Originally Posted by Odium View Post
    He lost an Avet SX. . .

For sure, go after it!!!!!

Avet reels wont even blink after a day/two in the salt...
    A good tear down and clean up and it will be like new again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie Hunter View Post
    For sure, go after it!!!!!

Avet reels wont even blink after a day/two in the salt...
    A good tear down and clean up and it will be like new again.....

I agree totally with Nessie.

If he doesn't want to go after it you can always give me the coordinates of where he lost it and I'll conduct my own search and rescue operation for it. I could always add one more SX to the my little collection.

step away from the avet ricky. step away
    [IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1952/osiitoavatorat7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6360/38134035pg5.jpg[/IMG][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8875/28244273hx0.jpg[/img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4591/trophiesal2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast