Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipsy Tubie

Wind is your enemy in a tube especially if your wearing waders and a belt. You can easily flip and become a human bobber. Those donut tubes are known to trap you in the tube when it's flipped. Many have died in this manner. I don't even go out if it's windy. Be careful out there.

I have a 14' kayak so i don't really ever flip, but I can imagine
    that if you lean forward to grab something and it happens to
    be a little too far, I can see a person flipping.

Never even been close to feeling like I'm going to flip. I've been out on windy days also. Tough to kick, but totally stable.
    Never felt like I was going to fall out either. I use the FishCat. It has a "tray" that you attach to the tube after you get in. It's used as a work area, but it's also the "strap" that keeps you in the seat.
    I've never felt unsafe on the water with this tube.

Just like anything, you should always use good judgment, think about safety first, I cant see how the tube can tip over but if you lean forward and hang off the front you may fall in the water. be safe MB

Quote Originally Posted by fndaway66 View Post
    Wind is your enemy in a tube especially if your wearing waders and a belt. You can easily flip and become a human bobber.
    Yeah wind makes it difficult to maneuver and kick around......but if the wind is so bad that will flip you maybe you should not be on the water fishing at the time!

I take it some of you have never tubed Crowley, Convict or any of the High Sierra lakes when big winds would pick up! Local winds are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by fndaway66 View Post
    I take it some of you have never tubed Crowley, Convict or any of the High Sierra lakes when big winds would pick up! Local winds are easy.
    Yeah I have......I was just stating that it would have to be a pretty strong wing to over turn a tube. You want to try some fun tubin you need to do a surf launch and fish some of the OC boiler rocks from the tube. Even fishing the boilers and launching from the surf it is pretty hard to flip unless you launch at a spot with HUGE breakers.

You ain't gonna flip a tube mang.
    My humpty caddis ride is half inflate 60% of the time and you'll catch me huffing air into it 3-4 times a day on the water and I still don't tip!

I seen a guy with a flat pontoon bladder one time though! You don't want half your 'toon going flat! I like my safe quadtoon!

The waves at Perris are worse than the waves in NPH!

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    The waves at Perris are worse than the waves in NPH!
    Waves in NPH? I have never seen waves in the Harbor.....I was talking about fishing along the OC coast.

Yeah I know.
    I just thought I would see at least 2 foot chop on a windy day in NPH like at Perris. NPh is really calm for waves/chop! I was surprised. Guess I haven't been there when it's stormy yet.
    Yesterday at Perris chop made it to a foot just from the 5-10mph wind. I wonder why it does that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast