Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod gurus...

Default Rod gurus...

I would be interested in hear opinions about what you guys think I should mount my Fuego 1500A for fishing 6lb line for d/s worms, mini jigs and wacky stuff. 7' would be nice as I'm on shore more than on the water at this point in time. Obviously it's gonna have to be a bit heavier than a drop shot rod to handle all three of the above applications. I like GL2's for HOW THEY FEEL (action wise and feel in my hand both), but am open to other suggestions as always.

Something I could feel locally would be nice too. I like to feel the action and feel of the rod before I buy it which is what will usually make the sale. Also need to try fitting the reel to the rod so I can't order online, or at least I'd have to try in the store first and then order online or whatever.

Any input?
    I don't think I like the high modulous carrot sticks and Cumaras. I've tried and own(ed) both at one time or another and they are overly sensative and have no action compared to other rods I've felt. They feel like airy straws that don't want to bend. I guess I don't like that much. I might be the only one in the world who thinks so but some of these newer rods are kinda weird.

To be honest, weight means nothing to me either. My arms still hurt after using the lightest combo I could get (Cumara/50mg) on a 20 fish day cranking or 10 fish day in the bay.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-21-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post

Any input?
    I don't think I like the high modulous carrot sticks and Cumaras. I've tried and own(ed) both at one time or another and they are overly sensative and have no action compared to other rods I've felt. They feel like airy straws that don't want to bend. I guess I don't like that much. I might be the only one in the world who thinks so but some of these newer rods are kinda weird.

To be honest, weight means nothing to me either. My arms still hurt after using the lightest combo I could get (Cumara/50mg) on a 20 fish day cranking or 10 fish day in the bay.
    what cumara did you own, I think it's over rated (not as in "not as good"), as is their x fast seems more like a fast action and their fast seems like a mod fast. you sure you weren't getting any bend on it?

I was looking at the new dobyns, and they seem light, strong, and has a stiff backbone... might be perfect for you, if you're willing to spend $300

I can't tell you exactly what any of the stores around here carry at any time, but I can tell you which rods felt good in my hands for the techniques mentioned above.

Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 702SF
    and
    Rogue SP 704S-2

In regards to the cumaras I know what you're talking about and my 7'2''MH is very stiff, but my dropshot rod CUSDX68M is a fantastic rod. It has a light tip and very powerful backbone. Go and hold one and see how you like it.

I specifically use it for dropshot and wacky rigged 4''-5'' senkos (inchi and unweighted) on 6lb line. Everyone once in awhile I'll use it for light line topwater as well.

At it's price point, I wouldn't consider anything else.

I actually sold off my 7'2" MH xfast 6 months ago as I was gonna get another loomis instead.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...l+tacklejunkie

I realize that's a heavy rod and should be pretty stiff though and it did work good in some applications, but loomis rods rated the same seem like much less backbone.

I'm not trying to be mr know it all and hell I'm still pretty new to fishing all together so I'm only stating what I notice. I think I am actually going to keep my carrot stick for a while longer to see if I can get used to it. turns out it is rated nice for the LC110 (7' medium moderate) but I'm still trippin' on the feel of the blank. I don't think I can get a good feel for it until I load it up with a legal and find out. Probably won't be using it in the salt as much as the gl2.

I really do love all three of the GL2's I have purchased. One for mini salmon egg rod, one 6' medium fast for jerkin and crankin and now the 7' medium heavy moderate for my LC110's. I know the components aren't top of the line but they feel good and don't fail in the field on me either so I'd consider them good.

I just want to make sure I get this rod right this time.
    The Bronzeback I'm using on the 1500A now is rated for 8lb line and I have to loosen the drag every time I hook a fish because my drag won't pull and I risk breaking the line. I bought the bronzeback rod for my old fuego which worked great with 8lb line at perris horsing bass out of the weeds when half as many people fished it..

Thanks. I will look at some of these Dobyns and the cumaras again.
    I'm gonna have to be picky about this rod I think to get something feeling good.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.

GL2 PR8400S

Check it out. It offers the parabolic feel you don't experience with other rods that label themselves as "Extra Fast," with the GL2 feel you enjoy.

That used to be my go to drop shot/6# rod until I started going for the true 'extra fast' action and now run with a 1st Generation Dobyns 701 XFS, because I love that extra fast action. Too bad the new generation only has the 'fast' action, and no longer offers the 'extra' fast.

The only time I prefer parabolic rods is if I'm using a non-bottom contact technique. Aside from that, I need that true extra fast, "as close to 100% graphite" rod that I can get.

The 1500A didn't fit well in the seat of any of the carrot stick spinning rods. The reel seat was at an angle or something and it was trying to flex the reel foot.

The DX68M was nice but all scratched up from whatever.
    Seemed a bunch lighter than the 68M when the only rated difference was tip speed. I liked the hook holder though.

Ended up with the 68M. Wanted to be sure I can get those chottos through the lips. Maybe if it's too stiff still I can trade it out for the DX68M. (I have this weird feeling I just might end up doing so.. )

Bought some invizex along with it. I'll have to go see what I can stir up as far as green trout go.

thanks DS I'll check it out. I get 30 days to swap things out if I don't leave any marks.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-21-2009 at 05:15 PM.

TJ i feel the same way you do with purchases. I ended up doing alot of research and pulling and feeling alot of different rods quite a few times before i actually make my purchase.

I haven't handled the 68M, but the DX68M enough power to get inchi heads to penetrate. I believe most the wacky jig heads we use are more designed for 4lb line. I actually straightened out an zapu inchi head on 6lb during my last outing to Barrett. I'm now looking for a slightly beefier inchi head. =/ I really don't think the difference between XF and F would hinder any penetration.

Yeah I saw some of the Japanese videos those guys use little ultralight rigs for that stuff. I just think the hook is a bit thick on the specific head I like to use. I have some of the larger inchi's and jackalls but I like the tiny 1/32 weighted ones that hardly sink a bit better. Almost like casting the worm alone. Lets you "roll" the worm in the middle column for longer. The larger ones I don't seem to get bit as much on cause I have to work them faster or deeper. Maybe I just don't have a niche with those yet. Still learning to trust my UL 4lb bassing setup as it is, and the chottos don't like that setup. I seem to miss the set a lot on 4lb with those.

Big plus, the rod blends great for balance with the reel! Little bit of line on the spool or a double handle and it would balance out perfect. I'm fairly sure the last 2/5ths of the rod have a nice smooth action to them with a tip to bounce the keitechs in 20 feet of water.. just need a fish to load up the rest of the rod and see how she feels. Pretty sure I've found a permanent home for this puppy but I kinda still want to try the xf too! Arrrgg! So many decisions!
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-21-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Nice choice. I use a Biomaster c2000 which is slightly heavier than your reel at 7.05oz and the balance point is still on the blank but tight up to the foregrip. I sure you'll end up loving the rod. The only problem with the high mod rods is the fact that they're pretty brittle. I've seen quite a few broken (mostly the MH models), but with shimanos over the counter warranty it doesn't worry much that much.

Just curious, which hook holder does the 68M use? The dropshot between the split grip or the texas holder in the rear grip?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast