Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawaii Fishing - lures?

Ahh is this why you were looking for the tele rod? I bought that diablo for the same reason. To fish oahu.

Take the little two inch gulps. There's tons of aquarium looking fish all over the jetties in Waikiki that will hit it. I also hooked a few trevally on LC 110's but the trevally are to strong and the reefs cut you off everytime. You can spot them every now and then breezing right on the dropoff point of the reefs. Also tons of tilapia in the little canal that runs through Ala Moana Park... Have fun man.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteliner View Post
    Ahh is this why you were looking for the tele rod? I bought that diablo for the same reason. To fish oahu.

Take the little two inch gulps. There's tons of aquarium looking fish all over the jetties in Waikiki that will hit it. I also hooked a few trevally on LC 110's but the trevally are to strong and the reefs cut you off everytime. You can spot them every now and then breezing right on the dropoff point of the reefs. Also tons of tilapia in the little canal that runs through Ala Moana Park... Have fun man.
    Yep!!! :D I'm prob gonna try to pack my travel rod(s) though. I'll make sure to bring the gulps and give htem a shot. So did you end up losing your LCs? I'll have to look out for them.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Just got back from Kauai, Honolulu, and Waikiki. They liked gulp sandworms on a carolina rig or under a bobber, but bring something heavier than 6lb line lol. Waikiki is supposed to be kinda cold this week so good luck.

Good advice!

I have shore fished Maui a number of times. When where will you be?

Quote Originally Posted by Indo-angler View Post
    Good advice!

I have shore fished Maui a number of times. When where will you be?
    I'll be at the Papakea condo resort for a few days on the West side in Ka'anapali.

I know where that is. I have been to Maui 18 times, unfortunately didn't fish most if the time.

Find out if the oamas are in. They are sardine like fish that the papio, uluas and other fish love! You can catch them with light line and small hook close to shore like just up the street from you at Honokawai or at mala harbor in Lahaina.
    There is a tackle shop on the right side just up the road before you get to Kahana.

Fishing spots: right along the shore where you are around the reefs, Napili, Fleming Beach espec by the rocks.

At the north end is Honolua bay, great for snorkeling but last week there were 6 tiger sharks of about twelve feet in there! Usually pretty safe. I have been there many times, you can check out the fish there but unfortunately no fishing since it is a marine reserve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12