Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: guides...

Default guides...

stainless steel versus fuji...i dunno too much about the diffrences besides that the fuji r 20$ more... im havin a a rod made for the saltwater which should i get?? and why?? input is appreciated!!

Stainless steel guides would rust. Fuji guides are ceramic and don't rust.

well worth it. im assuming ur planning to use the concept BLNAG or BYAG guides from fuji? as compared to other wire guides? the 20 bucks is worth it. lighter stronger and it looks better to boot. ive abused my concept guides for almost a year and still no sign of damage.
    Last edited by davidth626; 06-22-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Lots and lots of choices when it comes to guides. IMO, there is no single "best" guide....just choices to be made depending on what you are seeking.

What kind of rod are you building (length, type of use, heavy braid use, weight considerations, toughness issues, $$, etc...)?

In addition, for aesthetic purposes, you might want to consider having the winding check and the reel seat match the color of the guides, and any threading work if any. (meaning, guide choice is going to matter again)

A knowledgeable rod builder should be able to walk you through reasonable choices w/pros and cons of each.

From what I've heard the ceramic guides break easier, but in my experiences fuji has never let me down.

If those two are your only choices, go Fuji, but I would take ALPS or the American Tackle Titus' over them. Every once in a while Fuji ceramic inserts pop out. I've never seen or heard of an ALPS or Titus lose a ring.

Make sure you get the guide that matches the rod, not a guide that's cheaper. For example, party boat rods need guides that have a thicker frame in order to prevent bending, breaking etc.

Hmmm, do you care to divulge the name of whoever is wrapping your rod? Most rod builders nowadays would suck all the air out of a room if they had a client who wanted SS guides instead of ceramic inserts.

thx for replies guys ... i got it sorted!!