Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The tail of "The Dual Grand Slam"

Default The tail of "The Dual Grand Slam"

Just got home from an overnight trip from the Sierras and then the GF went out of town for a week. Had a whole week to myself so figured I might as well just go back out fishing and get some exercise!

Received a PM from Skyler looking for any info on some areas to fish in the Sierras as it would seem he was looking for an escape from town himself. We've had a somewhat rocky friendship in the past and I figured this would be a good way to set our differences aside and cooperatively get on some fish, so I offered to split gas and camp fees up there with him if he had a vehicle to spare.

Next thing you know, we're on our way to the Sierras. Funny how things work out like that huh? You never know what life will throw at you. It's best to keep an open mind and work with it. I've never been one to hold a grudge for too long anyways. Everybody has their differences and we aren't going to get anywhere if we don't try to work around them. That would be my lesson of the trip.

So you put two crazy fishing fools together on a mission and crazy things are bound to happen. I realize a Sierra Slam includes cutthroats. A while back while Skyler and I fished Silverwood, we came up with the coin "Grand Slam" for a four species trip. (cats, striper, bass and trout!) We set out on a mission to catch a grand slam of Sierra trout by our book. Four species was good enough for us. If we could pull it off...

We headed up the 395 with a late start of about 1pm from the IE.

Once into the high desert, the high winds had me worried.
    There was literally a dust devil tornado behind this high wind sign that I managed to capture while doing 65mph! Freak accident picture! If you look close the tornado is kinda behind the sign kicking up dirt.

Next thing you know, it's pooring rain a few more miles down the road..

I always get a kick out of pondering how violent it was in the peaceful area in the past. The old volcanos and lava flows are cool.

While the rain cleared up I continued with the high speed volcanic photography

When we finally arrived in bishop...
    We stopped off at Kmart and got gas etc etc. Normal "stuff we forgot" type of deal. Then headed up to the O-camp for some first night spin fishing. We got there about 5:30-6pm, a bit late from our late start. There was a bit of traffic just outside town on the 395 for repaving. I popped my tent up at camp and grabbed a spinning rod and a Panther Martin Holographic shad spinner. Skyler popped his tent and did the same.

I took a few casts at one of my favorite little holes but nada. The water was lower now than last two trips and fishies had moved a few feet. Skyler walked over and tossed his PM in the water. I swear, not two seconds later, he had a nice fat brown on the line. Look at the little toad belly on this thing!

After a quick pic and release of Skyler's fish, I bounced one spot and my line went bendo..
    Seemed like most of these guys had been caught before, they were all pretty rashed up.

Skyler with another one while my shutter lens hangs up from the dirt.
    technical difficulties..

Then we headed up to the famed PVR.

I didn't yet have the magic bait (shown later) so I didn't catch any fish out of the res. I still can't figure the fish in there out yet. For once, Skyler was unable to either.

We went back to our roots, the moving water. Over to the back side of the dam. I decided to try the dang Thomas Bouyant spoon I have always been dreading. I never hook up with the fish on those things. I tied on the large rainbow trout colored spoon and tossed it at the outlet. First cast and I'm bendo on a fat brownie, but it jumps like a bass and shakes the hook cause I was pulling too hard. I guess those Tommy B's really do work if you stick with it but still never have quite liked fishing spoons.

Next up Skyler tossed out the PM again and went major bendo on the biggest rainbow of the trip. He got to fight it through the current as well and it was just in time for dinner. We fished a total of two or three hours from arrival before dark and we already had two of the four species we needed for the trip! This was to indeed be an epic fishing trip to remember.

We saw this cool/steep/dangerous stairway on the way back to camp.

When we got back to camp, I was not done fishing just yet.
    I have always heard browns fish good at night. It was finally time to prove it since my tent was pretty much on the water. I walked over to one of the little cubby holes I like in the creek and went bendo on the third cast with a good sice brown. It was pitch black so I couldn't see and he got a bit dirty, but released quickly and OK.

Here were some little baby brown trout we found in the O. They were cool, all phototropic light seeking and eating the bugs right under our flashlight.
    Can you see 'em?

this should help

Next morning I woke up and casted to the same exact spot as when I went to bed and produced another fish immediately.

Nice colors

Flows low still

Then we headed in to town for one more trip of supplies of things we forgot. After the supply run, we hit a corner of bishop creek I found one day while waiting for Matt D to show up in bishop. Flows were higher here and no visibility. We got a tip from some guy at PVR and brough the secret bait this time. Pink Rubber Power eggs! It was WFO on stockers and I think Skyler caught a brown or two here as well. We slayed for an hour or two.
    I c&R'd 5 bows right here on the spot.

Fish ladders are cool!

It was starting to heat up in Bishop.
    We decided to head to elevation for a third species and to cool off some.

Once we got up the hill we found a good camp spot. Then headed further up the hill to catch some fish! The first fishy looking stop was "iris"

Skyler bagged two fish at iris while I was goofing around in the bushes finding hidden bridges and fishing unfishable parts of the creek. I think he'll add those pics later I'm sure.

Next stop was "the flats"

The water at the trailhead was flowing higher than in fall when I last saw it. The fish were still there at the trailhead but hunkered down and hard to get them biting. We decided to hike in some and look for more willing fish in more willing situations.

After about 3 miles we made it to the spot I last found some brookies.
    They had already moved, but I was determined to get my first brookie and species #3 of the slam on my fly rod! We worked around a lake with many inlet waters. The largest inlet had a few boilers. I walked over and casted out my stimulator fly. After a few misses I had one on! My first brookie, on the fly no less. Absolutely beautiful!

It was somewhat late in the day, and we were far back in the hills. It was snowing and raining and the pressure was on both of us to grab a fly fish off the lake before we had to head back. Since I got mine, I could now step back and take in the view of where I Was fishing. The water coming in was freezing from snowmelt. Tons of it was dumping in and the little brookies were holding a few feet out into the lake where the inlet had created a dropoff. Perfect little setting for a fly catch on the lake!

Skyler almost had a brookie on the fly on his first attempt at the inlet. Here he is setting the hook on that fish, a quarter of a second before he lost his footing, stepped back into the water and lost tension on the fish, at which point it shook him. It looked like a very good size fish for a brookie too! He left in good spirits regardless of having lost that nice brookie on the fly.
    I cannot say I would have done the same!

I was lucky enough to manage one more lil brookie on the fly out of the inlet before the snow, cold and rain pushed us out. He had bite marks on him from a larger fish I think. I want to try a small brookie swimbait here one day and find out what kind of monsters are lurking!

Here is a view of the inlet from the other side of the lake.

The trail back to the car had tons of runoff everywhere

Back at camp I started in with the noodles while Skyler went to pull a few stockers for dinner out of the creek.

We saw black bear prints in camp

So we put everything in the bear box as instructed

First time I ever got a blister from my long rod

Skyler's stockers for dinner. Never ceases to amaze me how he'll find fish in thin air.

The wood was so wet, it was hard to burn. But we refused to buy wood when we were in the forest and made due with what we had. I'd saw we had it covered.

Next morning we headed back up to the flats to get a brookie for Skyler really quick since that larger one popped off his fly the day before. Now we both had 3 of 4 species! It was time to for the final part of the mission. We were two days early on our predicted time alotment at this point!

Off we went for a distant area. It wasn't long after and I had my Grand Slam completed. It was pooring rain in this area and very cold. We both had several layers of clothing on as well as waders and rain coats and toughed it out like animals. The winds were high and we got soaked, but we both got our fourth and final species the night we arrived at this spot.
    Here was mine

No wonder they turned gold over here

It was raining pretty good!

Here was Skyler's fourth species of the trip. We doubled the Grand Slam with four species each!

The next morning I did a little pinecone bowling, and toadstool hunting.

My uncle's polish friend taught me once which one of these toadstools were edible but I can't remember as it was 15 years ago. I do remember what a chicken mushroom looks like and it's unmistakable. but I could not find any chicken muchrooms in the area to consume and I was not positive on the others, so I let them be. I do remember one thing the old polish guy told me. "If you aren't 100% sure, don't do it". I'll have to ask my uncle to have his friend show me which ones are good again. Some of these muchrooms are very edible and delicious!

I'm about 99% sure this one will do you in

I forgot what these were called..

I think this was one of the good edible ones. I could be wrong though and that's why I didn't touch them.

I think this one was edible too. It's stem did not turn blue when i cut it as the old polish dude showed me many years ago.

Luckly the rain cleared up just in time for bed.

The hot Ramen helped heat the soul after being drenched and frozen. Doesn't look like much now but it was my savior at that moment.

the next morning my waders had frozen over

And the mushroom hunt continued

Skyler caught a brilliantly colored locust

We left camp after this. We wanted one more shot at the goldens before heading home. We each caught one or two more and called it a day!

Skyler caught a bunch of fish too. This is mostly just pics of mine so I'm sure he will be adding a bunch more. I'm looking forward to them as I'm sure they have different light and colors angles than my camera and it's always nice to have another perspective. Had a good time getting out there and fishing with Skyler again like old times and it's seems as though we have overcome our differences of opinion in the process.

We didn't have to get out the backpacks this time. The higher elevations are still snowed in. Full day hiking is your best bet. Weather is getting below 30* still back in the hills and runoff is everywhere. Snow is down to 10,750' I'd say on the back side of the hills. Rains, snows and flurries were breaking out on the common throughout the trip. Winds and sun were unpredictable at best, but fishing was pretty much epic! We didn't even have to try too hard accept for the brookies!

Great trip, My first brookie goal was acheived, acheived a Grand Slam (four species, not sierra slam) of sierra trout and got out of the mainstream for a while. Won't be forgetting this one for a while, as with all the rest of the amazing trips up into the Sierras.

Thanks for reading. Sorry, can't share my GPS maps.
    -TJ

Epic indeed! I had a blast, and not the normal socal type of blast. it was an awesome peaceful blast of 30 degree air, wild fish, and total quiet, he he. Best 4 days of my adult life, man. Here are some more pics:

Not a bad trip at all, he he he. Tight lines!

-Skyler
    Last edited by Skyler; 06-06-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Nice report!! Those were some beautiful fish! Great job on the slam!! That was one of the better and more detailed reports I have read in a while. Make me want to hit the sierras!

Thanks for taking the time to detail your adventure!

Aweome report guys. I would love to take a trip like that sometime. Kinda gets you motivated.

Exclamation

OUTSTANDING report gentlemen!
    Thanks for sharing this!

looks like a good *** time fer sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Epic indeed! I had a blast, and not the normal socal type of blast. it was an awesome peaceful blast of 30 degree air, wild fish, and total quiet, he he. Best 4 days of my adult life, man. Here are some more pics:

Not a bad trip at all, he he he. Tight lines!

-Skyler
    let me know when u guys go up again ill see if i can get sum time from the wife i wanna get a grand slam!!!

Awesome report and pics guys thanks for sharing! One of these days im gonna get out there.

I didn't know that burrying the hatchet was that much fun. Glad to see it! What a great trip, congrats on the slams!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast