Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Days in Sitka, Alaska

Beautiful report and photography. You totally nailed a nice mixed bag of fish. I was only in Sitka once, many years ago on a church mission trip with my girlfriend (now my wife) working at Sheldon Jackson college up there. Had a half day off, walked down to the docks and asked some guy if he was a charter captain. He said he was. We struck a deal and went fishing for the afternoon. It was slow but I ended up with one nice 21 lb king.

Sitka is a great destination for an Alaskan fishing adventure. The cool thing about it is it has a real airport, so you can come in on a cheap Alaska Air flight. There's a small town there so you can get lodging and groceries (not cheap though) as opposed to being at an expensive fly-in camp.

Also, at least when I was there, several charter operators were happy to run their boats on an informal open party basis, whereby you're not responsible for $1000 charter if your buddies fail to show.

The bad news is it's getting somewhat overfished. Trips like yours are getting harder to come by, I understand. You did well!

Default Nice

Looks like a awesome trip Glen. Way to go!

What an awesome experience, thanks for sharing your trip with us!

TD

Excellent report. Like the fotos. Now that you have landed a King. And a small king 25-30 is a big fish, Imagine how big the 90# lb record looks.
    That would be large enough to eat you, Not really, but it sounds better.

i was in sitka those same days. fished friday and saturday. caught a king and a coho on friday along with a small but, a slot limit(30-36") ling and a yelloweye. On Saturday--much nicer day--we had 7 kings for our 3 anglers including a triple hook up. We released what we could not keep. Also had to release a 50 pound ling not in the slot limit. Had 2 butts about 15 pounds each. Smallest butts I have ever kept in Alaska. Great time as always. We too saw lots of whales. I fished with Big Blue Charters but Seth at Kingfisher runs a great operation.
    Glad to hear you had a good time. this was my 10th trip to Sitka and each time is as good as the last.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    What an awesome experience, thanks for sharing your trip with us!

TD

Ditto. I can't wait to get on a faster puter and view the pics. It was a nice read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12