Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Days in Sitka, Alaska

Default 3 Days in Sitka, Alaska

Spent 3 days fishing with my nephew, father and mother in law, and we fished with Kingfisher Charters. It was an excellent trip with lots of sea life and very good eating!
    We arrived in Sitka on Thursday PM with dark skies and a light rain. Made it to the hotel, got a bite to eat, and hit the sack.

Friday 5/29/09

Up at 4:45 AM, breakfast at 5:15 and on the boat by 6AM

It was a slow day! Only landed 3 salmon, had 1 break off that wrapped around the down rigger. Several shook loose.
    Well they weren’t Kings (Chinook) they were Silvers!! (Coho)
    We were absolutely floored as they are usually caught in July and August! These guys are much smaller than kings. Ours averaged between 5 and 7#’s. These guys are short biters. We caught them on the troll.

This is what made up for a crappy day!

Day 2, 5/30/09

Ah hah!
    It was a much better day for fishing, and the weather was prime though it was bumpy and lumpy out there! It was partly cloudy today with lots of sunshine mixed in. We had a couple of minutes of drizzle at the beginning and at the end of the day.

We didn’t see Orcas today, but we did see humpbacks breaching and jumping several hundred yards away.
    The fish were cooperating today! We got our limits of Alaskan Butt for 4 people (8). We managed 3 yellow eye rock cod, a ling and two king salmon!!

It was a great day for me! Never caught a Yellow eye before, I managed a 12-15# king, a 34.75” ling, 3 Butts (limit is 2 but Dillon was sick all day and we all added fish to his limit. (he felt much better the next day and did a lot of catching!)

The butts were small and were averaging 31” or 11lbs, and the yellow eyes were chunky.
    Georges king was pushing 35#’s!!!!!

Today’s total carnage

Day 3, our final day 5/31/09

Well it was our last day of fishing and it wasn’t a bad one at all. The sun finally came out and was out for most of the day. There was no rain at all, and it was in the low sixties all day. I fished with a long and short sleeve T shirt from midmorning until mid afternoon.

We ended the day with 5 Butts around the same size as yesterday, 1 ling, 1 yellow eye, and two kings! George was first up on the troll. His king started to peel his line off the reel, and our captain asked me to clear the other line. As I reeled in 15 feet or so I feel a tug, and then a hook up. I worked the fish from the starboard side, under George’s line to the port side. Mine came in first and was about 15#s. George’s went about 25#s.

My King

George’s King

Lift’em up Dee!

We trolled for the better part of the morning until we decided to anchor and fish for Butts. Our first spot was a dud. Not even a bite. Our second spot was much better. I limited out first and then passed the next (and only) 3 Butts off to Dillon and my mother In law. George decked the ling and passed off the yellow eye to Dillon.

Albatross

Humpbacks

Butt Bendo

Today’s bounty

Capt. Aaron and son

All I can say was it was another great time and experience. I love it up here!

Nice report and pics. Only time I fished in Alaska was Sitka about 5 years ago. Your pics brought back memories. Ended up around 77lbs of fish each (3 of us) in the box.

Great job again!

man what awsome trip it looks like u had...great picz and lots of fish too. one of these years i will get up there
    [IMG]http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1952/osiitoavatorat7.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6360/38134035pg5.jpg[/IMG][img]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8875/28244273hx0.jpg[/img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4591/trophiesal2.jpg[/img]

NY4Reels,

Thanks for the great pics. Kinda tells it all. Nice, welcome change from my Sculpin reports !! ha ha ha

JapanRon

Very cool report. Those kings are fatties.

Looks like an epic trip. Those salmon are freakin pigs. Thanks for sharing your experience out there.

Thanks for the report and PICTURES
    That's one of the many places I Must/Will fish b4 I die (the East cape is the another)
    Very lucky!!

great report!

Good eatings this year. How many pounds of fillets did you bring back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast