Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying, Customizing & Personalizing Your Lucky Crafts!

Default Nipple Twister says:

....lately I have been removing the oval split ring, tying a snap swivel to the line and clipping it directly to the loop on the lure. Or you can tie directly to the split ring, either way has been working for me, the snap rings helps with quicker change outs......hope this helps and welcome to FNN.......report back on your results......

Thanks Nipple Twister, i went out to the pier and cast it out a few times and it just floats on the top, is it not a sinking lure? I would appriciate any 411 from anyone on how to with the LC. I picked up my second LC at bigbitetackle and i went nutts over a phenix rod $200, i must get this rod.

Default NT replies

manuel149
    Thanks Nipple Twister, i went out to the pier and cast it out a few times and it just floats on the top, is it not a sinking lure? I would appriciate any 411 from anyone on how to with the LC.
    Your very welcome. Yes, depending on which LC your refering to, 90, 100, 110 etc, they are usually floating and/or suspending, thats the need for the little "duck bill" on the front to get it to dive when retrieved. The LC 110s are what you see posted here in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means an Lucky Craft expert, this is been what I have learned so far. So trying to use it from an elevated location such as a pier would not work well if at all. They are typically used from shore casting or trolled from a boat.
    As for "how" to tie it on, I use a Uni knot directly to the oval spilt ring or utilizing the snap swivel and taking the split ring off.
    Again, hope this helps, if ya wanna meet some time on the water I will gladly show you how I use it.........

Quote Originally Posted by manuel149 View Post
    Thanks Nipple Twister, i went out to the pier and cast it out a few times and it just floats on the top, is it not a sinking lure? I would appriciate any 411 from anyone on how to with the LC. I picked up my second LC at bigbitetackle and i went nutts over a phenix rod $200, i must get this rod.
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...-from-the-surf...

Hey Manuel,

Read this article and it should answer a lot of questions. You can't fish LC FM 110s from the pier since you have to be at the water level to work them correctly. When you fish them from a pier, the angle is to steep for them to dive properly. Flash Minnows work best at water depths of 6' or less. They can be worked in deeper water for more surface oriented fish like calicos, but for halibut under 6' is where you want to focus.

Which Phenix are you looking at? I have used a lot of Phenixs in the surf for halibut, and could provide some input. For a dedicated LC rod, my current favorite is a Phenix XG-3 7'9" heavy glass cranking rod. If you're looking for something a bit more versatile that leans a little more towards the LC, an X-12 is probably your best bet. While it's not a dedicated cranking rod, the new Recon 804MH is a great all around rod that will put fish on the sand with LCs, the dropshot, or 3in/4in swimbaits. I'm a bit biased since I prefer moderate action rods for fishing jerkbaits, but there are plenty of SWAT guys that like a fast action rod for the LC. Personal preference will dictate which one you buy.

Hope this helps, and see you at the surf event!

bsp

Thanks a lot guys, good input to think about and consider. NT i will take you up once i get some decent gear.
    BSP not sure what Phenix it was but that Recon 804MH sounds good.

Default Just for giggles......

Quote Originally Posted by manuel149 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, good input to think about and consider. NT i will take you up once i get some decent gear.
    BSP not sure what Phenix it was but that Recon 804MH sounds good.
    i went through quite a few rods before i broke down and went custom, $280 and i wouldnt trade it for a steez rod and reel or a cumuls with a core. I finaly got what i wanted and its amazing.

Updated 3/20/12

Customizing Your Stock Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110.

I’ve received quite a few PM’s asking for me to detail the steps of customizing the LC’s. The level of difficulty range from easy to moderate, depending on how creative you want to get with the special touches on your creation.

Basic customization consists of upgrading (replacing) stock hooks and adding simple designs to the body of the lure. While advanced customization goes into more elaborate cosmetic design of the lure, either by hand stroke or airbrush methods.

Let me start by making this statement. With the exception of upgrading the stock treble hooks on some LC’s, it is absolutely NOT necessary to custom enhance them in order to catch fish. These lures are a finished product right out of the package and will catch fish “as is.”

I do it because it looks cool, keeps me busy when I’m bored and it’s fun to catch fish on a lure that have your own special touches on it. I also feel a bit more confident throwing these lures and “confidence” goes a long way in fishing.

Post up and share some of your special creations…

Basic tools required.
    Acrylic nail polish (colors).
    Acrylic top coat (clear).
    Small split ring pliers (jewelry type).
    Toothpick or thin artist brush.

Basic steps to enhancing your LC.

The first thing that I usually do with my LC is to replace the stock treble hooks. On most of the Saltwater Series patterns, the LC’s already comes with the stronger and corrosion resistant Nickel Plated #6 Owners ST41 Cutting Point Trebles Hooks.

Some of my favorite patterns come from the Freshwater Series. For example, the MJ Herring (as featured below). These freshwater patterns come with the weaker bronze treble hooks that will bend out easier on larger fish and can rust with just one session in the surf. This could cost you a memorable catch and should be replaced.

Stock MJ Herring LC.

Replace all three stock hooks.

Always use hook protectors while working with any lures.

Add red gill slits.

Add Sardine dots. If you have a steady hand, you can use the brush provided on the nail polish bottle. Or you can apply the dots easier and more accurately with a toothpick or a thin artist brush.

Add any other “special” touches.

Apply a thin layer of nail polish shiny top coat over the gill slits and dots.

Finished product - Weapon of Mass Destruction, ready for the battlefield.

Dana Rea - Fisherman 57 "Special Edition" LC Flash Minnow 110SP - "One of a Kind." Just like Dana.
    Was thrown only ONE time in the surf and will never be thrown again...

I don't know what to say... with all of your inspired modifications, you guys have move the "Lucky Craft" to "Lucky Art." Impressive young Jedi artists, very impressive.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast