Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip of the month: How to use magic worm blowers!

Default Tip of the month: How to use magic worm blowers!

We've all seen it- People holding up massive trout caught on inflated nightcrawlers..

However, many of us try using the "magic-worm-blower" and get pissed when we realize it doesn't work very well..

HOWEVER
    "Magic worm-blowers" work just fine! there's a specific way to use them, though.

A common mistake when using this is to just jam the whole point in, which results in filling the body cavity with air-- useless as the air will just escape through the mouth or anus.

The CORRECT way to use them is to insert the VERY point just under the skin, then give a quick little squeeze on the blower.

Now here's the important part, keep the pressure on the blower as you remove it -- if you release while the point is still in the worm, you will just suck the air back out.

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

I drew a quick sketch to show how its done below.

I tried to make it as clear as possible. My apologies if this confuses.

Good luck! Catch yourself some Lloyds! (slang for triploid trout)

gotta lov a visual.....mayb this will teach my dad how 2 inflate a roboworm. personally i wld nevr do this but hes gettin old or somethin....sigh.....

Thanks again smokehound - I finally got back out to try using your advice. At first I had problems as I wasn't getting the point inserted at all but just pressing it against the worm. Finally was able to make things work. The biggest key is to not release any pressure on the blower until after removing it from the worm. I think that was my problem before - I was squeezing and releasing while the point was still inserted.

Nice thread Smoke and great illustrations as well. My nephew and I were having problems w/ the blower too last time we went for trout, hope to try some of your tips next time out.

Ry

I never thought about the air escapeing when I releaseed the bottle I allways figured it just leeked out through the big hole I punched in it never thought about just putting in the tip at the right angle but great advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    We've all seen it- People holding up massive trout caught on inflated nightcrawlers..

However, many of us try using the "magic-worm-blower" and get pissed when we realize it doesn't work very well..

HOWEVER
    "Magic worm-blowers" work just fine! there's a specific way to use them, though.

A common mistake when using this is to just jam the whole point in, which results in filling the body cavity with air-- useless as the air will just escape through the mouth or anus.

The CORRECT way to use them is to insert the VERY point just under the skin, then give a quick little squeeze on the blower.

Now here's the important part, keep the pressure on the blower as you remove it -- if you release while the point is still in the worm, you will just suck the air back out.

The aim is to add a bunch of small bubbles, not to inflate the worm like a balloon.

I drew a quick sketch to show how its done below.

I tried to make it as clear as possible. My apologies if this confuses.

Good luck! Catch yourself some Lloyds! (slang for triploid trout)

Default magic worm blower vs insulin suringe

My advice is to ditch the bottle inflator, the needle is too large the air gets pushed out the hole as the worm contracts. My preference is an insulin type hypodermic suringe. Everyone knows at least on person who is diabetic, ask them for a couple of suringes. The needle is extremely fine and the hole it make seals immediately.
    I also recommend using the small/meduim size nightcrawlers for trout, the trout have an easier time taking that size worm. I usually, trim the worm by cutting off the tail end leaving about 2.5"-3" worm. I place the thru the cut end and run it up to the end of the shank. I infated the fat end of the worm. This keeps the worm alive underwater for a very long time. The worm will keep moving try to free itself from the hook. With this technique you can catch all sizes of trout. The hook I use is called an Izuo Improved self hooking hook, size 11 or 12, I have to order by phone from Hawaii. The hook is a very sharp, fine wire hook. The cost is reasonable 100 hooks for around $8.00 plus shipping. I usually order once a year for my friends and I.

tight lines
    Tuna out

However, the problem with that, is it's illegal to carry a syringe without proof you have a prescription.

Yes, a syringe makes things a million times easier, but if a cop catches you using one and you aren't a diabetic, he gets the green-light to tear your car apart. Not worth the risk IMO..

And when he doesn't find drugs, he's gonna be pissed.

haha yea i use syringes too.
    imagine trying to explain to a police officer that you have them to inject worms with air LOL

haha as long as that wht your using it for you should be ok...i could se it now " but but sir i swear that what i use it for to inflate my worms when i fish" haha

Fish hard

Default thank you for your GREAT article

what hook do you recommend?.......Please be very SPECIFIC!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast