Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Licence Question

Default Fishing Licence Question

Did a search on this but couldn't find anything useful (Maybe I'm spelling it wrong??).

I just want to clarify if and/or where do I need a fishing licence to fish in the California ocean. Surf, boat, etc.

Thanks! (Just moved here from New Jersey and we don't need one there for any type of saltwater fishing)

California Fishing License WITH a "ocean enhancement stamp" is required for all you mentioned.

Welcome to the board!

Click below for more detailed info:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing ... scrip.html

The only place you don't need a license is fishing from an OCEAN FRONT public pier or a HARBOR MOUTH jetty. Bay front piers & docks and sand retention jetties, (such as in West Newport) you DO need a license. Any fishing from a boat you need a license. The only way to get away without a license is if your under 16 years old. Just buy one so you don't have to worry...I hear the fine is something like $650.

Including all the above information, you can purchase the LICENSE at most sporting goods stores and giant retailers (Walmart, KMart..etc) as long as they have it in stock.

If you think or know that you're not going to do a lot of fishing, you could always purchase a "One-Day License" at the landing.

Most of us "maximizers" will buy the license either on December 31 (if we're lucky) or January 1st so we can feel like we're maximizing the usage of our $40+!! LOL!!

I recommend going to a tackle shop and talking to the people there. Not only will they carry the license to sell, they should also have the DFG handbook that explains all of the regulations in some kind of encoded English. 57 gave you a link that you can DL the same guide, I find that the guide makes for good reading while sitting on "the throne".

GET OUT AND HOOK UP!! :twisted:

FJ74

Thanks for the info. What about party boats that go out? Still need one for that?

Quote Originally Posted by dmk112
    Thanks for the info. What about party boats that go out? Still need one for that?
    ABSOLUTELY!
    DFG have been boarding more boats this year checking for licenses and bag limits. And the landing will ask you and require you to have one.

As I mentioned previously, all of your questions can be answered in the handbook, so pick one up.

And as mentioned by Fish Dog, get one with the Ocean Enhancement and you'll never have to ask another question again.

FJ74

I'd concur with Funjunkie. Anyone new to Pacific Coast fishing should have one of the reg books in full. There are off-limit species and length and bag limits to know as well.

In addition, if you fish Mexican waters (where some of the best fishing is) you'll need to get a Mexican license as well. Those are sold by the landings when you depart into Baja waters.

Good Luck! Welcome to the Left Coast and to FNN!!!

8)

Later,
    Scott

Too many rules in this state! Why can't we just have a United States licence...that would make much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dmk112
    Too many rules in this state! Why can't we just have a United States licence...that would make much more sense.
    Bad idea.....unless of course you're stoked some mindless bureacrat in D.C. has a say on how/when/where & how much fishing you get to do. I like my mindless bureacrats to be local, where I have a little more say on the matter. :wink:

dmk112,

If you think just california rules/regs are confusing.. imagine trying to memorize 50 state's worth of rules and regs for a single federal fishing license.

If you fish often, the rules are not at voluminous as you think. But the single most important rule is... you need a fishing license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast