Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: daiwa rg1000-xia

Default daiwa rg1000-xia

i have a few exceler series 1500 & 2000, and very satisfied with the reels, but fish 2lb are kind of over kill, daiwa didn't make 1000 model.so i am looking at rg1000-xia, is anyone
    fish this reel? need more information about it. thanks

I have an older version one that I use for trout fishing and panfish. It handles 2lb. test just fine. My only gripe is it seems it needs more maintenance than my other reels, which gets more use. For a little bit more, I'd go with the Daiwa SS700. Even if it doesn't have instant anti-reverse, it still is a much better reel IMO.

had a ss700 four years ago, fished with didn't like it. maybe the newer rg1000-xia will need
    less maintenace.

I've been running one in the 2500 size for two years, and have even dropped it in the surf several times. Still smooth and flawless, though it makes a slight scratching noise now every once in awhile (turning the anti-reverse off and on fixes it). I know Nessie hunter has had one for even longer and he swears by it. I'd go for it, or else an Okuma Epixor, as it has the full metal frame. Even with the graphite frame, the Xia is tough as nails with a great drag. If you don't believe me, check this out, lol. Fought for 20 minutes or so on ten pound test:

Last edited by Skyler; 05-08-2009 at 08:34 AM.

i love it, did u keep that seal as a catch? hahahaha.
    thanks for information.

Quote Originally Posted by formosa View Post
    i love it, did u keep that seal as a catch? hahahaha.
    thanks for information.
    Actually I wanted to bring it home alive as a pet, as it was the cutest thing I have ever caught on rod and reel, lol. But I just left it there on the beach to rest and compose itself. Certainly was one hell of a fight. Not like a fish where you can turn their head and bring 'em back toward you. These guys are too smart for that. I may as well have hooked my lure on the front of a freight train, lol. I found myself using reverse psychology throughout the fight to try and trick him into turning, lol! I actually opened my bail several times to get him to relax enough and head in toward shore to rest, lol.
    Last edited by Skyler; 05-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    Actually I wanted to bring it home alive as a pet, as it was the cutest thing I have ever caught on rod and reel, lol. But I just left it there on the beach to rest and compose itself. Certainly was one hell of a fight. Not like a fish where you can turn their head and bring 'em back toward you. These guys are too smart for that. I may as well have hooked my lure on the front of a freight train, lol. I found myself using reverse psychology throughout the fight to try and trick him into turning, lol! I actually opened my bail several times to get him to relax enough and head in toward shore to rest, lol.
    yeap, it's cute but when fully grown, it will be ur nightmare. had hook it's brother(sister?)
    before, drag was scream like hell, i though was a LA class ssn.

I know Nessie hunter has had one for even longer and he swears by it.
    In my opinion, Daiwa carries its quality down to its low end reels, ergo, the Regals are a great quality buy at a bargain price...

BPS blew out the old model 4i Regals at $15 per, about 3 yrs ago....
    I bought 3 of them 1000, 2500 & 3500.... They are excellent Quality reels and have multi disc composite drags, extra spool, and are work horses. I like the Regal series a lot.. Cant beat them for the price either...

Have never used the 3500 (to big)...
    My 1000 4i & Spinmatic Trout Rod are at the bottom of Irvine lake, if any one wants it (first outing with it also)...

I've been running one in the 2500 size for two years, and have even dropped it in the surf several times. Still smooth and flawless, though it makes a slight scratching noise now every once in awhile (turning the anti-reverse off and on fixes it). I know Nessie hunter has had one for even longer and he swears by it. I'd go for it, or else an Okuma Epixor, as it has the full metal frame. Even with the graphite frame, the Xia is tough as nails with a great drag. If you don't believe me, check this out, lol. Fought for 20 minutes or so on ten pound test:

Nice!
    I have one like it,but My TD Sol 2500 get's more use,,,lol,,,

got my 1000-xia thursday, fished saturday at perris. this reel perform better than i was
    expect, very smooth....., it's going my panfish killer with phenix fx 902-2.