Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any dog tips for camping?

Default Thank you

Thanks everyone for all the advice. We just got the puppy 2 days ago and we're going to go and see the vet in the next couple of days. From the sounds of it, looks like we're going to have to postpone our trip. Again, thanks for the input.

Jon

i bet your dog will be fine...i mean people live up there and have puppys right... your dog will be fine..like i said my buddys dog was perfectly fine out there and had no ticks... just watch your dog..dont let it wonder off and it will be fine just check him every night just in case....

if i had a puppy id defently take him out there.. it was fun watchin my buddys dog jump into a pile of snow and dissapear lol.. dont worrie and just have fun..
    Last edited by matt duarte; 05-22-2009 at 03:57 PM.

If you just got the puppy then I assume he hasn't even been started on the Innculations yet. Yes there are people who live up there and have had puppies but they had to go through a series of innoculations over time as well. (if they had good owners).

Don't delay your trip, get a babysitter for the weekend.

The problem with a puppy isn't so much the shots but the fact that she's too young for a tick collar and, depending on her age, you really don't want to stress one that young with frontline or advantage. I hate pulling ticks off puppies, they're kinda like kids and one hates to see them go through stuff like that. A grown dog isn't so bad, I do mine all the time, but the puppies, I don't like it but I'll do it if I have to. Heartworm is a big problem here, I wasn't aware of it being a problem in the Eastern Sierras. If it is a problem, it's one more reason to leave the little girl in the care of a trusted friend for the weekend. I don't know if I'd want to treat one that young for heartworm. At the very least I think you should talk to your vet about all these issues.

There are no fleas or ticks in Mammoth. Yes they are found in other spots of the Sierra but not in Mammoth or the Lakes Basin.

Quote Originally Posted by matt duarte View Post
    i bet your dog will be fine...i mean people live up there and have puppys right... your dog will be fine..like i said my buddys dog was perfectly fine out there and had no ticks... just watch your dog..dont let it wonder off and it will be fine just check him every night just in case....

if i had a puppy id defently take him out there.. it was fun watchin my buddys dog jump into a pile of snow and dissapear lol.. dont worrie and just have fun..
    Yes people do raise dogs/puppies up there. And I'm sure their vets recomend them not to take their dogs out of their house until they are fully vaccinated just like vets do all across the country.
    The thing is anywhere you live your puppy shouldn't leave your property until it is fully vaccinated... Parvo and DHP can be picked up just by sniffing the ground near where another dog that had it did their business... These are killers for sure. Ever seen a puppy puke and crap blood and then either become permanently crippled or die? This happens very quickly with these diseases...
    Last edited by goodguy; 05-26-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Just thought I'd relay what our vet told us. She said she wouldn't worry too much about bringing our puppy up there. She didn't seem worried at all by it actually. All of your guys' concerns have made us a bit cautious. I think we're going to get another vet's opionion before we make our final plans. The only places our vet was worried about were places known to have lots and lots of dogs ie. dog parks, dog beaches. We were told exactly what Goodguy is saying, not to let our puppy anywhere near where other dogs go because you have no idea what vaccinations other dogs have. I mean we were trying to potty train Zoe on our porch, which was a little hard.
    How common are these diseases such as Parvo? Do a lot of dogs have it and not know it? The way everyone talks about it, it sounds like 1 in 10 dogs have it. The vet also said just use Advantage for the fleas and mosquitos and check daily for ticks.
    So we'll see... thanks again for all the advice

Jon
    Last edited by Yoyo; 05-26-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo View Post
    Just thought I'd relay what our vet told us. She said she wouldn't worry too much about bringing our puppy up there. She didn't seem worried at all by it actually. All of your guys' concerns have made us a bit cautious. I think we're going to get another vet's opionion before we make our final plans. The only places our vet was worried about were places known to have lots and lots of dogs ie. dog parks, dog beaches. We were told exactly what Goodguy is saying, not to let our puppy anywhere near where other dogs go because you have no idea what vaccinations other dogs have. I mean we were trying to potty train Zoe on our porch, which was a little hard.
    How common are these diseases such as Parvo? Do a lot of dogs have it and not know it? The way everyone talks about it, it sounds like 1 in 10 dogs have it. The vet also said just use Advantage for the fleas and mosquitos and check daily for ticks.
    So we'll see... thanks again for all the advice

Jon
    I'm no vet... But I'd imagine the parvo etc. is not all that comon as most people take care of the vaccination thing. But if they do come in contact with a dog that has it, it's almost a death sentence... Good luck

you would probably be fine at your campsite, but that would be a pretty crappy camping trip to just sit in your site and play with the pup. you wouldnt be able to venture out anywhere other dogs are/were. not too many dogs carry disease, but some do and it isnt worth the risk. goodguy is correct about parvo, watching a pup die in front of your eyes by bleeding rectally is no fun. i would just get a pup sitter, or wait.

Leave the dog at home..........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast