Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I guess i should share my exp...

Hi lalo56,

Sorry to hear of your experience. It only reminds us that one choses the crew first, the area regularly fished second, and the boat third in priorities. Gotta find your home boat with at least 2 of the 3 with 3 or 4 (out of 5) stars. With that in mind, I don't bad-mouth entire operations as a rule. However ...... however after hearing time and time again of certain 'operations' lack of consideration of 'ANYTHING' but putting people on the boat with the lure of good counts ..... which seem to be generated by a rather rough crowd and I mean sanctioned 'crowd' of guys that will work in concert to crowd others out ... sometimes even their own !! Pretty scarry .... for me too as I don't back down but will cast inches right across their faces to maintain 'my' yes, MY spot which I paid for specifically to avoid problems with bullys.

Although a rethorical question by one of our most esteemed contributor/posters' ... sansou, the reason for numbers is to eliminate some bully that's a trash talking, threatening, constantly mugging, 6ft, 399 pound piece of garbage, who looks and behaves as if they very well might have a minimum of five outstanding warrents out on them, used to getting their way no matter what.... to simply take the position on the boat they want !! Numbers give people a rock-solid claim where otherwise they are being treated like ..... well ..... YOU w/gf in tow !! They usually prey on those they think the easiest to bluff. When the crew does nothing .... they are no better !!

No numbers ..... I'm not on that boat .... although I know I'm missing some great rides .... it's just not worth the aggravation.

Catalina is tough in the first place as normally THE place to be is on the stern or at least nearby ....... unless you're there to chunk iron all day ..... like ghetto dad ! ha ha ha This makes the spots on the stern even more critical for success and heh heh heh the JP.... which some semi-deadheads think it is their god-given right to have the best shot at winning !!

As said ..... lots of good boats .......... depend on GD's attention to detail and heart to treat you right from ....... putting a foot in the LBSF office till you're heading home !! Catching well ... As said, previous Spitfire crew also had a good reputation They are still at Redondo I believe.

Lots of good boats. Sometimes it pays to go to the landing early and smooze a bit with those who are going out. Often there's folks for both the 1/2 and 3/4-day boat waiting to board. Once you find a decent crew and boat 'that matches your disposition' ...... patronize it big-time.

PS Don't take your family or girlfriend on a trip w/crew-boat you've not been out on in a while !!

PS Did you notice the one aside in my report ? Enough said !! ;)

Was this a rant ...... gee ..... I hope it's not taken that way ! ha ha ha

JapanRon

Here's my list of boat's that I've been on and will continue to go one because they provide great service. Maybe try one of these in the future.

3/4 Day
    Coroloma - Ventura Sportfishing
    Freelance - Davey's Locker
    Patriot - Newport Landing
    Tradition - Redondo Sportfishing (I'm hoping, since it will be manned by the old Spitfire crew)

Overnight Boats
    Freedom - 22nd. St. Landing
    El Dorado - Long Beach Sportfishing
    Ultra - 22nd. St. Landing
    Outrider - 22nd. St. Landing
    Pacific Star - Pierpoint (spring trips only)

Multi Day Trips
    Freedom - 22nd. St. Landing
    El Dorado - Long Beach Sportfishing
    Ultra - 22nd. St. Landing
    Outrider - 22nd. St. Landing
    Pacific Star - Seaforth
    Legend - Seaforth
    Ocean Odyssey - H&M Landing
    Shogun - Fisherman's Landing
    Islander - Fisherman's Landing
    Black Pearl - Point Loma

Not trying to defend that boat or anything since I aint never been on there BUT.........

I've seen quite a few passengers who expect way to much. Theres like two deckhands to help 50 heads. Im sure they will try their best to help but if the fish are biting and they are busy gaffin and chummin and you go ask them to tie your hook on your probably not going to get the VIP treatment. You might wanna learn to get used to tying your own rigs and stuff so you dont have to wait for the deckies all the time. I learned the basics of a cattle boat on my first trip. Its not that hard...

The numbers game you just got to be aggressive. I got punked once on the spitfire by a chick. She squeezed me right out of my spot. She was a cutie though... so I let it slide...
    Last edited by Liteliner; 05-22-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liteliner View Post
    Not trying to defend that boat or anything since I aint never been on there BUT.........

I've seen quite a few passengers who expect way to much. Theres like two deckhands to help 50 heads. Im sure they will try their best to help but if the fish are biting and they are busy gaffin and chummin and you go ask them to tie your hook on your probably not going to get the VIP treatment. You might wanna learn to get used to tying your own rigs and stuff so you dont have to wait for the deckies all the time. I learned the basics of a cattle boat on my first trip. Its not that hard...

The numbers game you just got to be aggressive. I got punked once on the spitfire by a chick. She squeezed me right out of my spot. She was a cutie though... so I let it slide...
    Well said Peter. Man up and stop whining. Maybe if you slipped them a $20 before hand, they would've catered to you.

As for the chick punkin you, that was yimmy, GD's gf.
    Last edited by cappo; 05-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Went on that boat once, I think it was back in 2003 and I prolly won't ever be back again...crowded and crew was not very friendly, too many other options to consider giving them a 2nd chance.

I don't know if it is the same skipper that ran the boat in 2004, but the Pursuit was involved in a sea lion shooting incident and got busted for it...
    http://tru2009.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-sea-lion.html

To me that is just bad karma and reason enough for me to never step foot on that boat ever again....enough said.

TD

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.... I always have a great time fishing the Pursuit. Captn and Crew are top notch. The boat can get crowded at times but that's small trade off for a boat that fishes really hard. We were on overtime mode last time i was out on that boat. Crew was already cleaning fish and on our way back. Captain still chased the big bonies and put us on fish. He said we're fishing till we're out of bait!!!

Open Party boats are always a crapshoot. Try and go on a chartered boat. That way you have time to prepare and study up on how to help yoursleves rig.
    I have been a camera operator for Dan hernandez trips in the past and we always offer help to newbies and anyone that asks or looks to be in need. That way the crew is taking care of tangles, handling fish, and chumming. Charter groups are always more docile, many of the group know each other and their seems to be more comraderie.
    There are many groups that offer charters, from local, to offshore, just do some poking around.
    Good Luck
    Buena Suerte,
    Camera Bob

I haven't fished salt in almost 10 years, but I used like going out on the Speed Twin up in Ventura, No assigned spots, and the weekday twilight trips were great because sometimes there were only a handfull of people.
    I don't know if that boat still runs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Went on that boat once, I think it was back in 2003 and I prolly won't ever be back again...crowded and crew was not very friendly, too many other options to consider giving them a 2nd chance.

I don't know if it is the same skipper that ran the boat in 2004, but the Pursuit was involved in a sea lion shooting incident and got busted for it...
    http://tru2009.blogspot.com/2009/04/...-sea-lion.html

To me that is just bad karma and reason enough for me to never step foot on that boat ever again....enough said.

TD
    Yeah he lost his license for a year i think? Reason i know is because someone on the boat told me when we saw a dead sea lion floating around.

I feel your pain. I will not say the boat name but it was in Newport, it was my father in laws and I first saltwater outting and it was Rockfish opener this year. 48 people on the boat, and we started near the back put the regulars kinda pushed and shoved us outta the way. There was anonther gentleman with his young son also being pushed aside. I caught the 1st fish of the boat, and it ended up tangled with a regular, and as I brought it up he started complaining about how I didnt have enough weight and all I could say was the deckhand did it talk to him, so the deckhand put more weight on, but all day i seemed tangled with a regular. Finally he shoved me as he walked by and told me to move cuz if I tangled his line again, someone was going overboard. My bro in law had to hold me back, cuz it started from there. I was like buddy if you feel lucky enough to do that go fo it. I did 8 years as a Force Recon Marine and I went to Navy Seals Scuba School. If I go in the water, so do you, and I can promise I can hold my breathe alot longer... LoL.. He got red and walked away. The capt at the end of the trip told everyone to bring there lines in, but as he started to move he told a guy to drop his line he saw fish, but no one else could. He ended up pulling the big fish of the day... I WILL NEVER GO THERE AGAIN!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast